PDA

View Full Version : Is Jerky Safe?

mjaclyn
09-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Hi all!
I'm pregnant with #2 and was brushing up on all the foods I have to avoid to keep my baby safe. I recently bought some Turkey Jerky but I can't find anything online about whether or not eating Jerky is safe for pregnant women. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

tinklover
09-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Jerkey is fine. they want you to try and saty away form the processed lunch meats. why i don;t know i ate it with my first 2 and then it was put out there that you should not eat it when i was pregnant with my 3rd . but you should be ok with jerky .

PiratesCove
09-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Jerkey is fine. they want you to try and stay away form the processed lunch meats. why i don't know

Nearly all processed meats are made with sodium nitrite. Food such as breakfast sausage, hot dogs, jerkies, bacon, lunch meat, and even meats in canned soups.

It is a precursor to highly carcinogenic nitrosamines,this are potent cancer causing chemicals that accelerate the formation and growth of cancer cells throughout the body.

When a person eats food with sodium nitrite in it nitrosamines are formed in the body where they promote the growth of various cancers, including Leukemia, childhood brain tumors, colorectal cancer and pancreatic cancer.

The USDA actually tried to ban sodium nitrite in the 1970's, but was preempted by the meat processing industry, which relies on the ingredient as a color fixer to make foods look more visually appealing.

Sodium nitrite is a carcinogenic precursor, take the time to look at the deli meats you eat and see if it's in the ingredient list on the package.

There are deli meats that do not use sodium nitrites and all you need to do is ask as the deli counter, I just ask to see the label and read it for myself to make certain.

More info can be found at:

organicconsumers.org/foodsafety/processedmeat050305.cfm

As always, just my humble opinion .....

Mousemates
09-04-2008, 01:16 AM
I guess the answer to that question depends upon your time frame...in the short run your probably okay (thou the high amount of sodium might have some impact on your blood pressure if your wired that way)...however, in the long run....who knows (PiratesCove might be right)...you'll just have to a risk reward anaysis and decide if Turkey Jerky is worth the risk. To me its not (but I don't like it)....however, peppered beek jerky is another story entirely.:)

Georgesgirl1
09-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Nearly all processed meats are made with sodium nitrite. Food such as breakfast sausage, hot dogs, jerkies, bacon, lunch meat, and even meats in canned soups.

It is a precursor to highly carcinogenic nitrosamines,this are potent cancer causing chemicals that accelerate the formation and growth of cancer cells throughout the body.

When a person eats food with sodium nitrite in it nitrosamines are formed in the body where they promote the growth of various cancers, including Leukemia, childhood brain tumors, colorectal cancer and pancreatic cancer.

The USDA actually tried to ban sodium nitrite in the 1970's, but was preempted by the meat processing industry, which relies on the ingredient as a color fixer to make foods look more visually appealing.

Sodium nitrite is a carcinogenic precursor, take the time to look at the deli meats you eat and see if it's in the ingredient list on the package.

There are deli meats that do not use sodium nitrites and all you need to do is ask as the deli counter, I just ask to see the label and read it for myself to make certain.

More info can be found at:

organicconsumers.org/foodsafety/processedmeat050305.cfm

As always, just my humble opinion .....

Actually, there is another reason they want you to avoid lunch meat which is the possibility of listeria. This can be very serious for pregnant women because it can cause miscarriage or still birth. My doc told me that lunch meat, hot dogs, etc. is okay occasionally as long as it has been heated to steaming in the microwave/ toaster which would kill the listeria.