PDA

View Full Version : Interesting find...

RBrooksC
09-02-2008, 08:58 AM
My mom was cleaning out some closets in her house and she came across the Birnbaum's Guild To Walt Disney World from 1989. I took it home to read it. While I have just leafed through it since I didn't have time to really look at it last night, it was interesting to notice some obvious differences between then and now.

The only hotels were the Monorail line hotels, The Disney Inn, and CBR. After that are the hotels in the Hotel Plaza.

Also Typhoon Lagoon had just opened and Pleasure Island was about to open.

Interesting to say the least. Fun to go back in time twenty years and see what a vacation at Disney was like back then.

mouseketeer mom
09-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Wow! That sounds so interesting! I'd love to see it! What fun to look back and see what WDW was like "back then"!

Sunshine1010
09-02-2008, 10:27 AM
he he....in my town, we don't have to look through our closets to find old books like that. We just go to the library. Our library still carries all the old Disney travel books. Yet, nothing updated since the year 2000. he he

SBETigg
09-02-2008, 11:03 AM
I remember it well. I was planning my 1990 Disney honeymoon that year. We've seen a lot of changes over the years. It's fun to look back!

pink
09-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Wow, what a great find. I wish I could read it! :mickey:

Stich8818
09-02-2008, 08:28 PM
It's great when you find books like that. While it was not in my home, I found/bought a book at the local Goodwill store. It was a large hardcover book about Epcot. It was detailing everything about the opening, some of the sponsors that were involved and just a really interesting read. It looks like brand new I paid all of $3.50. I was a very happy Disney geek that day.

On a side note the book must have been a gift. There was a note in there and it is still in there. It says "To my father who looks toward the future" I thought it was neat.

LauraleeH
09-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Aww that would be awesome to read!!

badkitty
09-02-2008, 10:40 PM
My mom was cleaning out some closets in her house and she came across the Birnbaum's Guild To Walt Disney World from 1989. I took it home to read it. While I have just leafed through it since I didn't have time to really look at it last night, it was interesting to notice some obvious differences between then and now.

The only hotels were the Monorail line hotels, The Disney Inn, and CBR. After that are the hotels in the Hotel Plaza.

Also Typhoon Lagoon had just opened and Pleasure Island was about to open.

Interesting to say the least. Fun to go back in time twenty years and see what a vacation at Disney was like back then.

So fun! This reminded me of my mom's book sitting on the shelf. I pulled it down. The date: 1991. I am off now to browse through the pages of history!

pdrlkr
09-03-2008, 10:43 AM
That sounds pretty cool! :thumbsup: :mickey:

Jeff G
09-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Isn't it fun to look back and see the chages over the years? A few years ago I was in Goodwill and found a Disney World souvenier picture book from 1984 for $1. Even though we had never been to WDW prior to 1994 I picked it up and we still have the book. It is awesome to look back at how much has changed and yet how much is still the same.

RBrooksC
09-03-2008, 01:53 PM
On a side note the book must have been a gift. There was a note in there and it is still in there. It says "To my father who looks toward the future" I thought it was neat.

For some reason that makes me sad. I guess I read that note as a child thinking he or she is giving something special to the dad. If I gave my dad that book and he died, I would want that book back as a memory of the good times with him.

If the dad is still alive, I find it sad that something he was given, especially a book that the child had given, would be put in a box to Goodwill.

Maybe it is just me because I always feel when somebody gives you something, especially if it is a child, you find some way to cherish it, even if it is just because the child spent the time and money to get it.

LauraleeH
09-03-2008, 02:06 PM
For some reason that makes me sad. I guess I read that note as a child thinking he or she is giving something special to the dad. If I gave my dad that book and he died, I would want that book back as a memory of the good times with him.

If the dad is still alive, I find it sad that something he was given, especially a book that the child had given, would be put in a box to Goodwill.

Maybe it is just me because I always feel when somebody gives you something, especially if it is a child, you find some way to cherish it, even if it is just because the child spent the time and money to get it.
I took it as a young adult that was giving it to their older father. It doesn't sound like something a child would say. But it is a Disney book so you could be right :mickey:

RBrooksC
09-04-2008, 10:08 AM
When I say child, I mean an offspring of that father. To me, it would never matter how old a child is. If my son was in his 20s and gave me something and wrote a note in the cover, I would have a very hard time parting with it. Maybe I am just sentimental in that way...

LauraleeH
09-04-2008, 01:49 PM
When I say child, I mean an offspring of that father. To me, it would never matter how old a child is. If my son was in his 20s and gave me something and wrote a note in the cover, I would have a very hard time parting with it. Maybe I am just sentimental in that way...
Oh ok, I see. I am also very sentimental.