PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with INTERCOT

Carol
09-01-2008, 09:23 AM
:chef: :eat: :pizza: :popcorn: :tasty: :cart:

This is the place to share any great recipes, or ask any cooking related questions!

caryrae
09-01-2008, 10:04 AM
I was given this recipe many years ago and its really good and easy.

1 yellow cake mix (without pudding in the mix)
1 small can mandarin oranges- NOT DRAINED
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs

beat all together and put in greased 9x13 pan
bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes

Frosting

8 oz cool whip
1 small package of vanilla instant pudding
1 20 oz can crushed pineapple- NOT DRAINED

beat 2 minutes and spread on cooled cake. KEEP REFIGERATED

JanetMegan
09-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Man I have been absent from this thread too, but the upcoming Fall has me excited about cooking...soups, stews, long cooking meats in my dutch oven...plus my new Kraft Foods magazine should be here any day!

January-2007
09-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Does anyone have an idea on how to make a strawberry topping for pancakes and waffles? I have some frozen strawberries in my freezer that are just sitting there, and I would love to make a topping out of them for a dinner soon. Thanks!

caryrae
09-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Does anyone have an idea on how to make a strawberry topping for pancakes and waffles? I have some frozen strawberries in my freezer that are just sitting there, and I would love to make a topping out of them for a dinner soon. Thanks!

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups mashed unsweetened strawberries

DIRECTIONS
In a saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Gradually add strawberries; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over pancakes, waffles or ice cream.

January-2007
09-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Sweet! Thanks so much!! :mickey:

Alligirl
09-12-2008, 07:09 PM
I once found here on Intercot a recipe for pumpkin oatmeal chocolate chip cookies I printed it out and my family LOVES them! So last night I went to make a batch since the weather got cooler and I cant find it!!:( I tried a search to see if I could find it here again but to no avail. If anyone else has it or the OP maybe, could you please post it for me?! Thanks so much!

~Allison

PlutoToo
09-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Is this the one? I copied it because it sounded good. Haven't made it yet though. Maybe next weekend?

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter; or margarine -- softened
3/4 cup brown sugar -- packed
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup pumpkin -- canned or fresh not pie filling
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Beat in egg and
vanilla.
2. Combine flour, oats, baking soda and cinnamon; stir into creamed
mixture alternately with pumpkin.
3. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased
baking
sheets.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-13 minutes or until lightly browned.

Pop Centurion
09-13-2008, 12:02 AM
I made this for my girlfriend once years ago and now we have it quite often because she loves it so much. No exact measurements.

* Take 2-4 skinless boneless chicken breasts and season both sides with salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, and thyme.
* In a heavy skillet (no teflon because you want some of it to stick) heat some olive oil. About enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
* Add chicken to hot pan.

* While chicken is cooking heat some butter and olive oil in a sauce pan and add a chopped shallot.
* When shallot becomes translucent add one cup of uncooked white rice.
* Stir around until rice absorbs the oil and butter and starts to slightly toast.
* Add one cup of chicken stock and stir.
* Season with salt, pepper, and parsley and bring to a boil. Then lower heat to a simmer and cover.
* Stir occasionally to keep from sticking. You can add more chicken stock if it cooks away to fast before the rice is done if need be.

(Back to the chicken)
* Flip chicken breast in pan and continue to cook until finished being careful not to overcook it and dry it out.
* Once it's done remove from pan and set aside.
* With the pan still hot turn the heat up and pour in about a cup of white wine.
* As it reduces, scrape all the left over chicken bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan and let them cook with the wine.
* Turn the heat down to medium or lower and allow the wine to reduce by half.
* Add a pint of heavy cream and stir.
* Let the cream sauce come to a boil adjusting the heat to avoid scalding or burning the sauce.
* Continue to cook and stir until it reduces & thickens to the consistency you prefer.
* Re-add the chicken breast so it warms back up while you spoon the sauce over it for a minute or so.

Spoon rice onto plate and cover with a piece of chicken. Then spoon on some of the cream sauce. (or you could keep the rice to the side, it's totally up to you)
As for another vegetable to accompany it, that's up to you. I usually saute' some fresh green beans in olive oil and garlic and just before removing them from the pan I splash them with a little balsamic vinegar. But it all depends on what you'd rather have.

Hope this isn't too vague or hard to follow. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Alligirl
09-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Thank you Pluto, this look like it might be it!!!:) Oh btw you should try them it is the taste of autumn! My family loves them! Thanks again!

~Allison

MissStyles
09-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Thank you Pluto, this look like it might be it!!!:) Oh btw you should try them it is the taste of autumn! My family loves them! Thanks again!

~Allison

Yes that it is IT! (I was the one who originally posted the recipe I think 2 years ago?!) ENJOY - I can't wait to make them too! :pumpkin:

DizNee143
09-16-2008, 12:56 PM
does anyone have a good chicken soup receipe?
possibly to be made in a crock pot?

ErinElectronaut
09-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Yes that it is IT! (I was the one who originally posted the recipe I think 2 years ago?!) ENJOY - I can't wait to make them too! :pumpkin:

YES!!! I have pictures of us from years past making these amazing autumn cookies together!

Not a Fall season goes by without someone in my family baking those. :thumbsup:

Stitchahula
10-10-2008, 06:12 PM
DizNee143 I can't give you exact measurements because I don't make my soup that way but here goes.
3-4 large cans of swanson chicken broth
about 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken(this I boil in a different pan) then either pull apart or cut up into chunks
1 small bag of baby carrots sliced up
about 5-6 cellery stocks
1 small onion diced
a few shakes of mrs. dash ( the yellow cap)
about 4 bay leaves
12 oz. bag of cheese tortellini

I put the veggies and seasoning together with the chicken broth on until the carrots are tender. I then add the cooked chicken and cheese tortellini. Cook until the tortellini is tender. I never measure anything but it always comes out really good just don't over shake with the mrs. dash. Remember you can always add more but you can't take it out. I hope this helps.

JanetMegan
11-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Does anyone have one of those big like 18qt roaster ovens? Kohls has one on sale for like $33 and I often cook for large crowds...any advice?

Alligirl
12-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Does anyone have one of those big like 18qt roaster ovens? Kohls has one on sale for like $33 and I often cook for large crowds...any advice?

Hi Janet,
My friend bought one a few years ago and uses it as a second oven when cooking for a crowd and it works great. I borrowed it and used it like a warmer for a big party I kept half trays warm and refilled the big trays as they got emptied. Sorry this is late, but I hope it helps!:blush:

Alligirl
12-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Ok Gang I need your help!
The contractor has promised to be done with my new kitchen by Friday so Saturday I want to make a GREAT meal!! Any advice? Any favorite recipes you want to pass along? My DD(16) who loves to cook wants to make dinner starting with homemade ravioli soup, individual beef wellingtons, risotto & salad! She has big plans for equipment we have never used before!!:D

VWL Mom
12-01-2008, 08:56 AM
A new kitchen in time for Christmas, I'm jealous!

A word of caution, if the oven is now convection and that is new to you, remember to cut down on the cooking time or DD's Wellingtons will be overdone.

Also, if DD really likes to cook, Food Network now has a magazine. This month's issue (the first) has over 100 recipes. I made the pumpkin cheesecake last week and it was awesome. Maybe she would like a subscription as a gift.

Enjoy your new kitchen and your tasty celebration meal.

Alligirl
12-01-2008, 05:05 PM
A new kitchen in time for Christmas, I'm jealous!

A word of caution, if the oven is now convection and that is new to you, remember to cut down on the cooking time or DD's Wellingtons will be overdone.

Also, if DD really likes to cook, Food Network now has a magazine. This month's issue (the first) has over 100 recipes. I made the pumpkin cheesecake last week and it was awesome. Maybe she would like a subscription as a gift.

Enjoy your new kitchen and your tasty celebration meal.

Thanks we are excited about it! Yes it is convection and I am worried about changing recipes around to suit the new time? Is the magazine available on newstands/stores or only as a subscription? She always has food network on but has "issues" with a few of the chefs cough Rachel Ray cough!:whistle: So I would like to read through one before buying a years worth!

VWL Mom
12-01-2008, 05:38 PM
The convection is great once you get use to it, you can find a lot of cooking times online. Even Butterball had regular and convection times online this year.

The magazine just launched their first issue but I have not seen it in stores. The web site says it will retail for $3.99 - the subscription is 10 for $10.

teambricker04
12-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks we are excited about it! Yes it is convection and I am worried about changing recipes around to suit the new time? Is the magazine available on newstands/stores or only as a subscription? She always has food network on but has "issues" with a few of the chefs cough Rachel Ray cough!:whistle: So I would like to read through one before buying a years worth!

I would love to hear how the new kitchen is working out!!! I am envious! (Oooh, I don't care for Rachel Ray so much either!)

Have any of you ever used Disney cookbooks? My favorite recipe is for Key Lime Pie... super easy.

I am looking for some new dinner recipes... I am feeling like I am in a rut. I may try out the chicken recipe from above. Any one have some easy crockpot recipes? I do a stroganoff and stew, but I am in need of NEW :)