PDA

View Full Version : AP question

dumbo ears
08-31-2008, 09:24 PM
Ive heard the pricies for AP are like 500 dollars and found that it would take you like 6 days in the parks to cover that. is that true? and if you have an ap can you park hop?

ibrowse17
08-31-2008, 09:29 PM
As with any other type of ticket, the park hopper option can be added to an AP. I am not sure as to the new cost for a first time AP, but $500 sounds about right. As a usual rule of thumb, if you plan on being in Disney more than 10 days in a given year, then the AP is your best option. Also, an AP is good for one year from when you first use it, not from when you buy it.:thumbsup:

ILoveLegos
08-31-2008, 11:08 PM
You don't have to add park hopper option to an AP. It automatically allows you to park hop as you wish. The extra option that you can add allows admission into water parks and Disney Quest.

Pirate Granny
09-01-2008, 12:19 AM
I got my AP last December...and it was CHEAPER at that time, then the 10 day park-hopper pass...but as you know it's only good for one year...but since I used it 4 days in December; 4 days in May; 5 for September and 9 for November...it made sense for me...I'm trying to figure out if I can squeeze a long weekend in December before it expires...Last time I got an AP I used it 35 days...and I don't live in Florida !!!
:pirate:

Vinny
09-05-2008, 10:25 AM
While the price to buy an AP is high, it is well worth the investment if you visit WDW often. The park hopper option is included in the price of the AP, no need to ad it.

I bought my first one last October and counting my trip coming up in a few weeks, I will have gotten about 30 days of park admissions. Before getting my AP, I would always get a 7 day park hopper, which now runs for about $300. Paying that for a WDW park ticket 2-3 times/year did not make sense anymore.

The AP also gives you discounts at the resorts. With this added benefit we were able to save about $800 on the resorts alone, over the three trips we took.

Imagineer1981
09-05-2008, 10:36 AM
don't you get a discount on TS as well?

KylesMom
09-05-2008, 11:22 AM
don't you get a discount on TS as well? Yes, there are select discounts offered at various TS (and CS) locations within Disney World with an A/P. Additionally, the Disney Dining Experience card can be purchased for $60 and is a 20% discount card off food and beverage purchases at most TS locations as well as resorts which do not have sit-down dining.

It will take you longer than 6 days to offset the purchase of an A/P versus a MYW pass with park hopping. It pays for itself around the 11th day of park attendance. We've found that an A/P with the DDE is a great value, but you definitely need to do your homework to figure out if it's right for you! :mickey:

DizneyRox
09-05-2008, 01:07 PM
The AP also gives you discounts at the resorts. With this added benefit we were able to save about $800 on the resorts alone, over the three trips we took.
The AP MIGHT provide you with discounts on rooms, based on availability, yada, yada, yada...

Only base your purchase of an AP on park admissions only. Everything else is gravy.

joonyer
09-05-2008, 02:21 PM
As has been mentioned, generally, you need to visit the parks more than 10 days during a 12 month period (from first use of the AP) for the AP to save you money on park admissions. If you are visiting 10 days or less in a 12 month period, it's cheaper to buy a 10 day hopper with no expiration option. (unless you're using your 10 days within a 14 day period; then you won't need the no-exp. option)

DigitalDaredevil
09-06-2008, 02:11 AM
I am right on the fence on whether I should buy an AP or not. I have had them in the past and luckily for me, I was able to go to WDW well past 10 visits in a year, even though I live in Ohio.
I usually buy the 10 park hopper and that has lasted me over a year.
One thing to consider though is if you park in the parks, you save $12 a day since AP's allow you free parking. This adds another variable into the equation.
This time, I am going to opt for the 10 day park hopper since I will be right in the 10 visit range within a year so if I go over it wont hurt as much. One thing for sure is that the recent ticketing strategy makes it hard not to upgrade.

DizneyRox
09-06-2008, 10:34 AM
I am right on the fence on whether I should buy an AP or not. I have had them in the past and luckily for me, I was able to go to WDW well past 10 visits in a year, even though I live in Ohio.
I usually buy the 10 park hopper and that has lasted me over a year.
One thing to consider though is if you park in the parks, you save $12 a day since AP's allow you free parking. This adds another variable into the equation.
This time, I am going to opt for the 10 day park hopper since I will be right in the 10 visit range within a year so if I go over it wont hurt as much. One thing for sure is that the recent ticketing strategy makes it hard not to upgrade.
For me, if I'm right there, I would go with the AP. You just never know. One time I didn't get an AP and the cost of the tickets is what closed the door on another trip. Had I had the AP, I would have gone for one more trip.

Being a DVC member helps make the AP an easier choice. $100 off is nothing to sneeze at.