PDA

View Full Version : Super Soap Weekend Parking & Transportation Tips

Sorcerer M
08-31-2008, 08:52 PM
We'll be attending Super Soap Weekend for the first time 11/15-16 and will be staying at Pop Century. Any parking and transportation tips for that weekend would be appreciated, including 1) when does DHS parking open; 2) when does the line for DHS parking get bad; 3)do the resort buses begin running any earlier than normal, if so when; 3) is walking from Pop Century to DHS feasible; and 4) how much time should we allow for a taxi to get to Pop Century after calling? Any other tips veterans of the weekend might have would be appreciated. :mickey:

Piglet822
08-31-2008, 09:07 PM
I don't know what time the park opens, have you checked info central (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/calendar/parkhours.asp)?
What I would do is get to DHS early using Disney Transport. It will be more crowded than normal, I'm sure, but I've seen the traffic trying to get into DHS during Super Soap weekend and it is a nightmare!
Walking is not a possibility and a taxi would encounter the same traffic as any other vehicle plus you'd get stuck paying for sitting in that traffic.

Sunshine1010
08-31-2008, 09:24 PM
During Super Soap weekend.....is this event designated to one park? Is attendance for all parks increased during this weekend?

cal5755
08-31-2008, 11:33 PM
We went last year for the first time and had a BLAST!! We are going again this year too. First off.... the best way to go is via taxi if you want to get fastpasses for autographs. Some people stand outside all night especially for GH. Last year we called to have a taxi waiting in the am the night before... I dont remember the price but it was reasonable. The first day we went at 5:00 am and got in line for AMC and we got 2 fast passes.. one for Susan Lucci and one for Michael Knight (Erica,Tad). The second day we got there by 4:00 am and we got in line for OLTL and got 3 FP one for Kathy Dapaiva one for Kristen Alderson and one for Kathy Briar (Blair,Starr,Marcie). The fp are for autographs and you stand in line, get one fp, then return to the end of the line, get a fp, return to the end of the line until all fp are gone for all the stars. Each fp will have the time slot that you go meet/greet your star. GH goes the fastest and OLTL was the shortest line. DHS (last year) let each line in through the turnstiles one hour before the park officially opened and then we walked in a line to the designated fp area and once there just waited til park opening to get fp. I can go on for hours talking about our weekend trip last year so if you have any questions at all feel free to ask. We had sooo much fun!!! I am looking forward to this year!!!

Sorcerer M
09-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the tips.

Jeanne - would you please elaborate on why walking is not a possibility? It appears to be only about 2 miles from Pop to DHS.

Cheryl - glad to hear that its an organized walk to the fast pass kiosks and not a stampede! My wife has been an AMC fan for almost 35 years and is looking forward to the weekend.

Btw, is the parade route for the soap stars similar to the normal daily parade from the front of the park back to Star Tours, or is it abbreviated?

DisneyMomma23
09-01-2008, 01:01 AM
its about a 5-10 minute bus ride from Pop to Hollywood Studios. i believe the biggest reason it wouldn't be possible to walk there is you would have to walk on a very busy road (i think its a highway) to get there.

Disney buses really are fabulous, and the Pop bus stop is one of the closest to the entrance of DHS, which was shocking to us bc its usually the last bus stop everywhere else lol. and they usually start running atleast an hour before the park opens

Sorcerer M
09-01-2008, 01:25 AM
Thanks Momma, but we'll need to get in line earlier than an hour before the park opens in order to have a shot at at an AMC fast pass. You're right that Disney Transport is the best, but unless they start running much earlier than normal, that's probably not an option.

Piglet822
09-01-2008, 09:05 AM
It's not the distance that makes it not possible, and it's not entirely impossible, simply put Disney has not made accommodations for pedestrians around their property.
As a previous poster mentioned you will be walking along a very busy roadway and there is only one area that has a sidewalk so you'd be walking on the road itself, the shoulder is almost nonexistent.
I didn't know about the FP's for autographs but if they're given out that early a taxi would be your best bet. Just let someone at Pop know you'll be needing a taxi, or you can make arrangements the night before to have one waiting for you in the morning. There shouldn't be that much traffic at that early hour so the charge should be minimal.

cal5755
09-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Btw, is the parade route for the soap stars similar to the normal daily parade from the front of the park back to Star Tours, or is it abbreviated?

The parade is an abbreviated one and a different route all together. The cars come out of where you would go to line up for fantasmic and it ends around the hat. Great photo ops when they ride through. If you want a good seat for the parade stake out a spot early. We are huge AMC fans too.. we love em all but AMC is the best!! I got some great shots of David Canary last year but his FP were out in an instant. Susan Lucci was a pleasure to meet. We heard she is stand - offish but she was amazing with us. She is such a tiny little thing too. You do have to stand in front of her table for pictures but she really was gracious and she signed happy birthday in my book since the whole trip was my birthday present. Michael Knight was AWESOME to meet. He gave the biggest bear hugs and when we told him it was our first time he said to make sure we came back again because it is the best way for him to meet the fans. He took his time with everyone and really is a down to earth, nice guy. I am so excited for this year and can not wait to see the line-up of stars again!! Your wife is going to have the best time ever!!

TheRustyScupper
09-02-2008, 10:12 PM
. . . would you please elaborate on why walking is not a possibility? . . .

1) There are few highway sidewalks in WDW. *
2) There are few highway crosswalks in WDW. *
3) There is A LOT of over-the-speed-limit traffic.
4) People do not look for pedestrians, since they aren't supposed to be any.

* Mainly DTD, Poly, CR, Disney University.