PDA

View Full Version : Mission Space?

ravsluvdisney
08-31-2008, 02:47 PM
I rode the original version of MS and let's just say my body was not happy about it!! I can usually ride anything (even the teacups) so this kind of threw me for a loop. I didn't get sick or anything but I felt queasy for a good half hour after. We are heading back in Nov and I am cautiously considerng trying the "green" version but will it turn me green :sick: or is it really easier on the stomch than the original? Thanks!

SoaringDisney
08-31-2008, 03:00 PM
The green version is so much better.

I also rode the original version, back in 2005, w/ my DD's and we were all sick afterwards, and then found out a few minutes later that a child had died on the ride the day before we rode it. That really frightened me. So I was nervous about getting on the ride again, when we visited this past April. I walked by it numerous times and finally got up the nerve to get back on. I climbed on the ride with my husband and we shared the cockpit w/ another gentleman and his young son. I heard his son say that this was his favorite ride, like he had rode it many times before. I figured if he could handle it, then so could I. So I took a deep breath and away we went to space. It was much calmer. Give it another try, you will not be disappointed.

Figment!
08-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Unlike the original (Orange team), the green team does not exert any additional G-Forces (the feeling of pressure at take-off).

Personally, I would consider the green team to be a slightly more intense version of Star Tours.

Disneyfamilyof3
08-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Hi;

I've never gone on team orange :sick:

but have tried team green; and that was a very nice ride. My son tried team orange and didn't have any problem at all. He told me that he stared straight at the screen and didn't move his head; and that was how he coped with the spinning.

MickeysEars
08-31-2008, 03:25 PM
does anyone know the size restrictions?

Strmchsr
08-31-2008, 03:30 PM
does anyone know the size restrictions?

Restrictions are all here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/rideheight.asp) in Info Central.

MickeysEars
08-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Thank you, But I was referring to weight. Can anyone tell me what might be too heavy. We are going with some family members that may not be able to ride, but I dont wnat to say anything unless I am sure:unsure:

big blue and hairy
08-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi;

My son tried team orange and didn't have any problem at all. He told me that he stared straight at the screen and didn't move his head; and that was how he coped with the spinning.
That's exactly what you need to do. You are told several times to do that. Don't look to the side and don't close your eyes! Doing either removes the illusion of taking off and just leaves the spinning.

For me the teacups are :sick:, but I can ride MS Orange with no problem.

:sulley:

Strmchsr
08-31-2008, 03:52 PM
Thank you, But I was referring to weight. Can anyone tell me what might be too heavy. We are going with some family members that may not be able to ride, but I dont wnat to say anything unless I am sure:unsure:

I don't believe there's a problem with that. I'm 6'4 and, last time we went, weighed about 350 (much less now :party:) and I had no problems fitting in. Now, while I wasn't squeezed or uncomfortable, much larger and I might have been. There's definitely not unlimited room. If you're concerned about, tell the CM. They can let you check it out and if there's a problem they can get back out before the CM closes the door.

MickeysEars
08-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Thank you, this really helps

atnextc
08-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Does the "ship" actually spin in the orange or what exactly is spinning in the orange one?

Strmchsr
08-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Does the "ship" actually spin in the orange or what exactly is spinning in the orange one?

It's a giant centrifuge with the various "ships" all connected via a spoke. So the ship is not spinning by itself, but it is spinning as part of the centrifuge.

disneygeek84
08-31-2008, 05:52 PM
That's exactly what you need to do. You are told several times to do that. Don't look to the side and don't close your eyes! Doing either removes the illusion of taking off and just leaves the spinning.

:ditto:

I honestly haven't been able to do the Tea Cups in years, but I do MS Orange every trip.

dumbo ears
08-31-2008, 09:33 PM
ya ive heard the green is a lot tamer. ive done thhe orange plenty of times and haven't got sick but thats just me

maxrebo77
09-01-2008, 05:05 AM
I know a lot of people avoid the orange version of MS because of the spinning. Unlike the teacups, I never felt a spinning feeling, just the Gforces they were trying to create.

AmandaChan
09-01-2008, 10:27 AM
The DH and I rode the original a couple years ago. Even though they've changed it up this May I chickened out. The DH rode it by himself and he said even the more 'intense' was calmed down a little.

Urbss
09-01-2008, 04:49 PM
I rode the original a number of years ago with my wife and neither of us really enjoyed it. I can't speak for her, but for me - I just didn't feel "right" for awhile afterwards - I wasn't really sick, but I was still not myself.

I was going to completely skip it this year, but maybe this "green" thing is worth looking into.

Marilyn Michetti
09-01-2008, 05:01 PM
I love the original, but my DH got so sick that he literally had to be wheeled out of Epcot. He sat on a bench right outside the capsule, grey, sweaty, etc., and not one of the CM's even asked if he was O.K. I finally asked one of them to help me, and one sweet man got a WC and pushed him to the monorail. He didn't :ack:, but he scared me. He's always had a motion sickness problem so he should have read the warnings and not gotten on the thing, but you know how men can be.:secret:

hardingella
09-01-2008, 05:13 PM
DH, DD and DS all went on the original twice and wished they hadnt:sick:. This year DH and DD went on it again and enjoyed it much more. DS and I (the chicken) went on the green ride and loved it:).He would not do green again because of the previous time.

Soul_Power
09-01-2008, 06:05 PM
My boyfriend and I went on the "more intense" version, and we both felt really sick afterward! Not to the point of wanting to throw up but definitely not feeling well at all. For two people who rarely ever get sick on rides, it was weird!

Mousemates
09-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Green won't make you green...unless you "pre-nauseate" in anticipation of the experience.

CaptSmee
09-02-2008, 12:05 AM
I've been on both versions many times, but I prefer the green. It just seems more fun to me than the feeling you get on the orange...

SAHDad
09-02-2008, 12:12 AM
I've never done the green version, but the orange doesn't bother me at all. I've even looked at the other passengers, to see who is actually pushing the buttons, and who is turning green.

I've ridden it several times in succession, and the only problem I have ever had is that, as a single rider, I kept winding up in the same position in the capsule. ;)

maxrebo77
09-02-2008, 12:09 PM
sorry, but I can't wait to go again!

Imagineer1981
09-02-2008, 12:33 PM

you honestly can't feel the spinning even if you close your eyes. All you feel is the gforce.

ravsluvdisney
09-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I did stare straight ahead like they tell you too but I still felt really dizzy and nauseous for a while afterwards. It sounds like the "green" version may be worth a shot this year. We'll see if I have the nerve!

ravsluvdisney
09-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I did stare straight ahead like they tell you too but I still felt really dizzy and nauseous for a while afterwards. It sounds like the "green" version may be worth a shot this year. We'll see if I have the nerve!

sophie peach
09-03-2008, 04:14 AM
i rode green and orange
the tamer version is better

Daisy'sMom
09-03-2008, 07:25 AM
I had never been sick after a ride until orange. And it lasted all day. Since then I can not do EE anymore, nor SM. I must be getting older!:sick:

big blue and hairy
09-03-2008, 09:03 AM
you honestly can't feel the spinning even if you close your eyes. All you feel is the gforce.
I'll take your word for it but I'm not trying it. :sick:

big blue and hairy
09-03-2008, 09:04 AM
I had never been sick after a ride until orange. And it lasted all day. Since then I can not do EE anymore, nor SM. I must be getting older!:sick:

Well, I wouldn't think you got older that quick. It's probably a mental thing after feeling bad all day.

Lisaj13
09-03-2008, 03:59 PM
When I was at WDW with my kids in October 2006 we rode MS. First we rode the tamer version. My DD (then 10) enjoyed it but said "is that it?". Obviously not wild enough for her!

So we went on the version with spinning and enjoyed it even more. It really did feel like the gravity was increased at take-off.

Great ride!

lawgirl
09-04-2008, 11:32 AM
We both love the orange. We always try and make sure we haven't had much to eat or drink for like an hour before we ride. We've never had a problem with it, and actually wished it were more intense.

However, we are taking our nephews, age 6, and will definitely be doing the green with them. Its so scary to think about that child who lost his life...it was an unfortunate situation, and we're not taking any chances!

mcjaco
09-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Unlike the original (Orange team), the green team does not exert any additional G-Forces (the feeling of pressure at take-off).

Right. Because it doesn't spin at all.

Personally, I would consider the green team to be a slightly more intense version of Star Tours.

It doens't really do anything, how could it be more intense that Star Tours?

And not to be a fuddy dud, but can't we make this topic a sticky or something? Green vs. Orange seems to be a re-occuring topic. :confused:

Jforrest2
09-04-2008, 09:13 PM
We were lucky enough to be among the "test pilots" that got to ride MS before it was opened to the public. My kids were so excited (OK dad was slightly thrilled too). Since then we have always ridden the orange side. I think that a huge part of the "experience" is feeling the gforces.

garthbarth1
09-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Both DH and I rode orange a few years ago. It was our last ride of the day and I got off and made it about halfway to the exit before I :ack:.
We both felt sick the whole night too. We have since skipped the attraction altogether...even the green. Neither one of us can do the simulation type rides with the screen...we both get sick. We never even consider going on star tours. So no MS for us! BTW out of curiousity-does the green version even move??