PDA

View Full Version : California sure pulled out all the stops! Pt 4

Mickey'sGirl
08-31-2008, 10:58 AM
Our Disneyland adventure July 26 to 30, 2008

Day 4 (Tuesday)

Cast of characters (and I mean characters!) Me (Jennifer), DH (Brian aka CanadianWDWFan), DS10 (Harry) and DS4 (Euan).

We got up whenever, and headed back over to Disneyland. Once more, we took the monorail and were let off near Nemo. We headed over to Star Tours and for me to try my luck on Buzz Lightyear (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10566431@N04/2745815796/in/set-72157606622567893/). Suffice it to say, that I am not a Galactic Hero out west…but it’s still a ton of fun! Then we decided to ride the Materhorn again (where we got two sets of Dream Ears), and head up Main Street. There were several of the Main Street vehicles (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10566431@N04/2745798600/in/set-72157606622567893/) waiting EMPTY at various points around the hub, so I approached the Fire (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10566431@N04/2745791620/in/set-72157606622567893/) Engine (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10566431@N04/2745793626/in/set-72157606622567893/) and asked if we could ride. He said of course! I have always wanted to hitch a ride of some kind along Main Street, so this was great!

After we rode, we meandered back down Main Street, and over to New Orlean’s Square. None of us was especially hungry, so we decided to duck into the Golden Horseshoe for some ice-cream and to catch the Billy Hill show. The boys and I went up to the balcony to wait, while Brian got the ice-cream. The Billy’s started their show, and Brian arrived with the treats. Just as we were finishing up, the Billy’s had gotten to the part of their show where they were to demonstrate their dancing. As they started up, the whole building started to sway from side to side. Harry and I turned to each other, and I said “Cool effect, eh?”…but it was no effect. Brian and I noticed the look of terror on the faces of the performers, and slowly but surely, the building started to empty out. We were experiencing an EARTHQUAKE. There was no announcement or direction or anything given, but we all made our way outside of the building in an orderly fashion. The same thing was happening all around the park (rumour has it that people were stuck on Nemo…Could you imagine???!!). We decided that we would simply go back to the hotel and see what happens, ‘cause surely the park would close whilst they made safety checks of all the attractions. The paths were clogged with milling people, and we eventually crossed through the castle to head toward Main Street. Brian got a hold of my Mom on his cell (my Mom is disabled and spends her days watching CNN and CBC Newsworld). We didn’t want her worrying about us. After assuring her, we made our way out of the park. There was a lineup a mile long at Guest Services (I still don’t get that one).

On our way out through Downtown Disney, we again passed the Green Army guys, but this time they called Euan over. Surprisingly, he went…..and even ENJOYED (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10566431@N04/2745813690/in/set-72157606622567893/) getting the water balloon burst over his head (this is the kid who strips down to NOTHING no matter where we are if he gets even a drop of water on any part of his clothing). It was good fun. We also hit the Lego store on our way by (for the umpteenth time), and made some mandatory LEGO Indiana Jones and LEGO (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10566431@N04/2745724610/in/set-72157606622567893/) Star Wars (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10566431@N04/2744890595/in/set-72157606622567893/) purchases. You can never have too many little pieces of plastic! :thumbsup:

We hit the pool, and even got a lounge! Unfortunately, about an hour into that, our pool was closed for undisclosed reasons (I’m thinking O’Henry bar). So, we went back to our room, changed, and headed out for a drive. We headed back to Disneyland at about 6 (we figured that things would either be running, or the park would be closed for the day)…turns out that most things were running (Indy and the monorail are the notable exceptions). The crowds had not diminished much, but after some dinner at the Plaza Inn, we caught a bit of the parade, and the boys rode Star Tours again and we all rode Buzz. We crossed over to Frontierland, and Brian and the boys were able to use our fastpasses for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad that were for 11:45 (the time of the earthquake). The Golden Horseshoe was still closed, but I couldn’t get any of the skinny on the sitch from people or posted notices. We did another pass through the HM, and then made our way back to the hotel.

I was a little nervous of aftershocks. We were on the 8th floor, and I’m not a huge risk taker…so that night I went to bed in my clothing, and I had our shoes all lined up near the door, beside my wallet. I figured that even if we were evacuated during the night, I would be dressed, my kids would have shoes on their feet, and we would have some money and ID with us. Overkill? Perhaps. But I don’t take a lot of chances with things I don’t know. What an exciting day we had!

Caroleh
08-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Sounds like a great day in spite of the earthquake!!!! Did the boys enjoy it?:D

Melanie
08-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Wow Jen! I've been waiting for your earthquake day. What 'excitement', though not your typical theme park excitement. I don't blame you at all for your plans that night.

NotaGeek
08-31-2008, 01:21 PM
WOW. I am glad nothing went wrong, minus that pesky earthquake. BUT ... you were at Disneyland during an earthquake -- not a lot of folks can say that!!

ElenitaB
08-31-2008, 03:20 PM
I really enjoyed your first impression of the earthquake... nice "special effect." :thumbsup:

I also would have been antsy had it been my first experience with the "earth moving under my feet" and staying on the 8th floor. The boys sure have a great story to share when they head back to school this week!

Dsnygirl
08-31-2008, 05:44 PM
So, "day 4" was the day... I wondered when it happened!! We all knew you were in CA, but weren't sure if you were in DL when the earthquake struck 'til later than week. I'm so glad it wasn't any worse... pretty exciting for the boys, eh?? And I'd probably have done the same thing that night.... you just never know! Glad you guys were safe and had fun!!

ChipnDaleGal
08-31-2008, 09:06 PM
What a crazy experience for your family to be in that earthquake! Oddly enough, Jeff, one of Intercot's moderators, and his family were also in the golden Horseshoe that day when the earthquake hit. I can only imagine how on edge you would be after that. I would have slept in my clothes too. Earthquake aside, it still sounded like a good day. Thanks for sharing.:mickey:

Carol
08-31-2008, 10:11 PM
Oh no. It sounds like the Earthquake interrupted "The Puddle Prance". How rude! ;)

MegaDisney
09-01-2008, 08:18 PM
You got a real E-Ticket (Earthquake) experience at Disneyland with no wait or FastPass!

I too don't understand why people would go to City Hall to complain about rides closed due to an Earthquake. People are weird!:confused:

Glad you guys enjoyed your 4th day at Walts Park!

offwego
09-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Jenn I would have been sleeping in my shoes so you were one step away from the crazy I would have inflicted on my guys. (mind you my mother wouldn't have had a clue as she doesn't watch CNN or read or look at the news unless she's in it)

I'm so glad your all ok. (and the Ohenry bar comment was priceless!) I'm getting some odd looks for LOL but it's worth every minute. Thanks for sharing this with us.:mickey:

disneydrmr
09-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Hmmm... what a day! Such excitement! And what a great story/memory your family has to tell! Overkill???? Not at all.. I probably would've been sleeping outside!!! or on the next plane back to Ohio!

2Epcot
09-04-2008, 12:56 AM
I'm glad I was sitting at home during the quake and just shook around on the floor of one of our bedrooms. I can't imagine being stuck on the Nemo sub ... Thanks for the report.

pdrlkr
09-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey: