PDA

View Full Version : Where (and when) can I eat table service and watch IllumiNations???

CleveRocks
08-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Even though we've taken the kids to WDW twice, we've never stepped foot into World Showcase with them (last time my wife and I were in World Showcase was 1990).

It would be great if we could eat at a table-service restaurant AND watch IllumiNations at/near the end of our meal.

I know all about how/why to make ADRs. But my questions are:

Where can I eat a TS meal and have a chance of viewing IllumiNations from our table? I know there is no way to guarantee a table with a view (I know the best you can do is ask at the podium just before you're seated). But I imagine there are some or many TS restaurants in World Showcase that offer NO VIEW of IllumiNations ... I'm just looking to find out where it's even possible to view IllumiNations from, limiting this to table-service only.

For WHEN should I try to time the ADR? I know IllumiNations starts nightly at 9:00 p.m. Do I want the latest possible ADR? or do I want one around 7:15 or 7:30 or 7:40 or 7:50 and then linger? Or will all the "good" tables be taken by that late a time? I hope y'all understand what I'm asking with this second question ... what time should I make my ADR for to help give me the best possible chance of seeing IllumiNations while still at my table?

Thank you for your answers!!! :thumbsup:

Mrs Bus Driver
08-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Rose & Crown, you need to make a reservation after 7pm and show up early. They won't let you keep a table more then 2 hours. I have read posts that say you can ask for a patio table and wait for one to open. But have also read that they don't do that any more and you must take the next open table. Even if you don't get an outside table they will let you come out to watch. Also I think the Mexican counter service restaurant has patio seating, you need to stake out a table early for this one. If you do a search for illuminations or dinner and illuminations on this site I think you will find a wealth of information. Have fun, I am doing this on my next trip.

nyobabe2
08-31-2008, 01:01 AM
We watched them from Rose and Crown, spectacular view! We did have a table on the patio.

TheRustyScupper
08-31-2008, 03:59 PM
TS locations for viewing Illuminations:
. . . Rose & Crown (patio) *
. . . Bistro de Paris (window table) **
. . . Tokyo Dining (window table) **

* not guaranteed, and you cannot wait for an outside table
** only a few window tables are available that have a view

joonyer
08-31-2008, 06:51 PM
We have eaten at the Rose & Crown and were lucky enough to get a patio table for Illuminations. It was a great view. (and food)
Even if your table is inside, you will be allowed to go outside to watch Illuminations, and then return to finish your meal if necessary.

At Teppan Edo (Japan) on our last visit, we finished our dinner just at the show was starting and had a pretty good view form the upstairs outdoor balcony. It's not as close to the lagoon as the Rose & Crown though.

KAT1811
08-31-2008, 09:16 PM
Rose and Crown is the only TS restaurant that comes to mind. I would shoot for 8:00pm and hope for the best. Sounds like there are no guarantees. Why not watch Illuminations and then try for a late ADR somewhere at the BC, YC, or Boardwalk?

CleveRocks
08-31-2008, 10:45 PM
Why not watch Illuminations and then try for a late ADR somewhere at the BC, YC, or Boardwalk?
Nice thought, but our 8 year old and 6 year old might not want to wait until 10 o'clock for dinner.:blush:

Pirate Granny
09-01-2008, 12:39 AM
We eaten at the R&C numerous times and all but once got a patio table...without every asking for one (they have a private patio only for R&C diners to watch if you have an inside seat) with that said, we also ate 'ash' from the fireworks more than a few times if the wind is blowing the right way. And I'm going to be honest...the service was HORRIBLE...but the view and the food was good. We've gotten free desserts more than a few times as we waited over 30 minutes for it to arrive...We no longer go to the R&C for dinner...we've seen Illuminations so many times that we'd rather try other restaurants instead of the 'ring side seat' at the R&C.
:pirate:

KAT1811
09-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Nice thought, but our 8 year old and 6 year old might not want to wait until 10 o'clock for dinner.:blush:

Sorry, I tried. I didn't realize they were so young.

What about getting an ADR that would put you around WS lagoon about 1/2 hour prior to showtime? You should still be able to find a nice viewing spot then.

spoonful of sugar
09-01-2008, 02:19 PM
my husband & i watched them last year from the counter service location outside mexico. what a wonderful view and great to have a seat with no one in front or on top of us. oh yeah and the awesome mexican food went great with the margaritas from the margarita stand. my husband even walked to china to get a couple of egg rolls too.

hardingella
09-01-2008, 03:25 PM
We have eaten at the R&C each time and always got a patio table. Dont know though if thats because we are from the UK and they like to look after their own??. When you book try putting on an English accent !!. You never know.:secret:

pamickeys
09-06-2008, 12:34 PM
I'd plan for 7:15--this covers your 2hr time frame. As you said, it's not guaranteed. We have had 2 ADR's at Rose and Crown, the first time @ 7 pm-we had a wonderful table on the patio, great view of Illuminations, the second time @ 8 pm-we were seated inside and still had a great time. Seems to be the luck of the draw--but I do like hardingella's suggestion of putting on the English accent.:thumbsup: