PDA

View Full Version : Questions about water??

browneyedgirl12
08-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Hello,
I just had an interesting thought. We all know that we aren't supposed to swim in the Lagoon at WDW, but how can they offer all the water sports that they do? :confused: Just wanted a liitle clarification on this subject.
Thanks in advance.

medic9016
08-30-2008, 08:53 PM
You sign a release of liability. It is the same as they do for the triathlon. There may be a little more to it than that, but i'm not sure.

Figaro
08-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Hello,
I just had an interesting thought. We all know that we aren't supposed to swim in the Lagoon at WDW, but how can they offer all the water sports that they do? :confused: Just wanted a liitle clarification on this subject.
Thanks in advance.

The water temp in Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon hovers within the range that bacteria can develop. We play it safe and don't allow swimming in the lake. I've many many times gone swimming in the lake. Us lifeguards have to train in the lake for the Triathlon and also for Lake Patrol. The Lakers go swimming in the lake 3-4 times a month, but they are protected under Disney insurance, etc. On top of that, there are gators, etc in the lake, and the bottom of the lake isn't the most comfortable to walk on... It's really sludgy and lots of seaweed. The water is often cold, also... :thumbsup:

SBETigg
08-30-2008, 11:59 PM
The risk with the bacteria is that they can shoot up and be inhaled in big splash-down sort of motions, which can draw them into the brain where issues arise. Watersports can be allowed with signatures to cover liability issues perhaps, but the bottom line is that Disney greatly reduces its risk in prohibiting general lagoon swimming.

So, you're still taking a personal risk in taking part in water sports like parasailing, waterskiing, etc. but Disney reduces its liability as a corporate entity by disallowing casual swimming and prohibiting access to the lagoon without a signed waiver. The educated risk becomes yours, not theirs, though the actual legal issues are more complicated and I believe it is FL state regulation and not just WDW prohibiting lagoon swimming in general.