PDA

View Full Version : My husband broke his back today....

gamblefamily5
08-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Please keep my husband in your thoughts and prayers. He fell off of a ladder today when he was painting outside. He fell about 10 feet and landed on his back. He landed on concrete. He did not break his spine, thankfully, and he can walk. We are suppose to be leaving for DisneyWorld next Wednesday and he will see the neurosurgeon next Tuesday, less than 24 hours before we are scheduled to leave! Anyhow, he insists we are still going even if we have to push him in a wheelchair and he has to just watch all of us ride everything! Some people are just Disney Crazy!!! hehe:mickey:
Anyhow, thanks in advance for thinking of him!

laurenC325
08-30-2008, 02:15 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that. Thoughts and prayers for your husband's quick recovery! Also plenty of :pixie:

vizsla
08-30-2008, 06:30 AM
So sorry to hear of your husbands injury. Prayers and :pixie: on the way for a speedy recovery.

merlinmagic4
08-30-2008, 07:39 AM
:pixie: for a speedy recovery! That sounds really scary; I'm glad he's okay.

Disneyfamilyof3
08-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Oh, my goodness! I'm so sorry to hear about your husband, that is truly awful!

What a good guy he must be to still want to go ; I would bet it is also because he doesn't want anything to mar your family's time there.

There are still plenty of things to do even if he is wheelchair bound: would he be able to move from the chair to go on some of the more gentle rides like POCB, The Great Movie Ride, etc.? There are also so many nice shows that he could see. My husband likes to go to WDW just for the eating alone!

Sending prayers for healing....

Sim

gamblefamily5
08-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks so much for all of your kind comments! My husband says that he is going "No matter what! Even if I have to sit in a wheel chair and watch everyone else!" We have the free dining so he will enjoy good food! Yes, he is excited for our 3 kids ages 13,9 and 4! Hopefully we will hear good news next Tuesday and we will still be able to go as planned!:mickey:

Mousemates
08-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Sorry to hear that...hope everything works out for a safe trip...will keep you in my prayers.

TheRustyScupper
08-30-2008, 11:57 AM
1) Pixie Dust to him ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
2) Hope he recovers quickly - and painlessly.

3) Have him rent an ECV from on off-site agency.
. . . far better than having someone push him in a wheelchair all day
. . . he can use it at the resorts, DTD, and the parks
. . . they have better seats than the WDW rentals
. . . it is delivered to your resort
. . . explain to the agency about his back problem

NOTE: Some Orlando rental agencies are "ScooterOrlando", "Scootarama", "ecv-rental", "WalkerMobility". I do not recommend a firm. A Google search shows even more.

RedSoxFan
08-30-2008, 03:45 PM
I hope he feels better soon.

SBETigg
08-30-2008, 04:13 PM
This is a sad turn of events in any case, but it seems so much worse with a Disney trip on the horizon! I'm so sorry.

:pixie: that he recovers without much further pain or trouble and that the trip goes well for you all. Best wishes to you all, and especially to your DH!

mickey&missy
08-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Lots of :pixie: for your DH. I hope he's ok and has a speedy recovery!

pdrlkr
09-01-2008, 09:58 AM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: fo a speedy recovery!

mrsgaribaldi
09-01-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm glad he's ok. It could have been much worse. Prayers and :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:on the way for a speedy recovery.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Pixie Dust for a quick recovery! My cousin fell rock climbing and broke his back and was back on his feet in a couple of days. Hopefully your husband will still be able to go on most of the rides.

kemps@wdw
09-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Soooo sorry to hear of your DH accident.:sorry: No time is good for something like this to happen, but right before your WDW journey, really bites! Our best wishes for a speedy recovery! I can relate to the determination to still go, regardless of his condition. We had planned and paid for our trip back in Feb 01 and in Aug 01, I was diagnosed w/breast cancer. My mastectomy surgery was on the AM on Sept. 11, 2001 (WOW) And I, Like your DH, was GOING to WDW!!!:yes::yes::yes: So, on Oct 6, I was on a plane to WDW! (staples and all). Couldn't do everything I wanted to do, and had to rest alot more than usual, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Just watching my 8 yr old DD having a "magical" time made the pain all worth it! So,even if you have to be pushed around in a chair, you're @ WDW, so it's all good!:thumbsup: (you'll even get a little TLC from the CMs and really good seats for the shows :D) So go...enjoy...be careful..and have a magical journey!:cloud9:

mouselover93
09-02-2008, 12:46 PM
im sorry and pray for your husband

Mickey378
09-03-2008, 03:34 PM
I hope all goes well for ya. I broke my back in a motocycle accident and walked out of the emergency room....compression fracture so I was an inch shorter. If I can offer any advice from someone who's been there, is to not push it. Take a few breaks to just sit with a Mickey Ice cream or watch the reaction of small children with the characters. He may not want to admit to everyone how much pain he's in and feel like he's being a burden to everyone else on vacation, so keep an eye out for his signs, and suggest it before he can. don't forget the jacuzzi after a long Disney day:cloud9:

dtootsie42
09-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Prayers for not only your husband but for the whole family. This can be scary but I'm positive everything will be ok. :mickey:

DisneyDog
09-05-2008, 06:50 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your husband's accident. You must be so thankful that he is okay. I understand back pain. I was in a bad car accident almost 14 years ago and been in constant pain ever since. I had no broken bones just muscular pain.just take it one day at a time and try to have a relaxing vacation. We will be thinking of you.

wilshade
09-06-2008, 03:16 AM
I pray that his recovery is quick and that you all enjoy your time at Disney.

DisneyDog
09-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Any updates on your husband?

Jeri Lynn
09-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Oh My, I hope your husband gets well very soon! That must have been very scary.

I have a dumb question though, what is the difference between breaking your back or breaking your spine??

SurferStitch
09-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Oh, the poor guy!!

I hope he's feeling better very soon. What a sweetheart for wanting to still go on the trip! He's a real trooper!

I would say, if it were me, I would MUCH rather be wheeling around WDW that sitting at home mending. He's got a wonderful attitude about everything!

Anyhoo....he can drink his way around the WS to take the edge off any pain he may have. :thedolls:

I remember when I was 13, and my dad was on his second back surgery (another bad disk). His surgery was scheduled for 3 days after my brother's wedding. Some pain killers and plenty of drinks (I know, I know...you shouldn't mix the two, but he didn't care), and he felt no pain the entire day/night of the wedding! :thedolls:

Have a magical trip!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Hope he's better soon:pixie: