PDA

View Full Version : Southwest policies?

brad817
08-29-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm a little upset with Southwest right now.

I booked flights from Chicago to Orlando in December a few weeks ago. 3 of us round trip for $1,095. Since then, fares have changed and been lowered. Now I've got it for $597 :thumbsup:

I changed the return flight to a completely different flight for a cheaper fare. Southwest said they can't refund me the money because I switched to a different flight, just give me that credit to use for one year. No problem, I get that.

Here's the problem and apparently where I have misunderstood. Our departing flight dropped from $159 each when I booked it to $89 now. The same flight, same day, same everything. Southwest still won't give me my money back on that. They still told me I can only get a credit for future use for those funds. I was under the impression that if the same flight dropped in price, I would get the cash back. Am I incorrect or did I just get hosed here?

Now I've got a $498 credit with Southwest. I'll use the money by next year, but it's just a little frustrating.

Figmentiscool
08-29-2008, 11:07 PM
I have only ever gotten credits from SW. Everyone I know who has changed or canceled a flight, received the same.

Pirate Granny
08-29-2008, 11:26 PM
I know that you are upset...but truthfully SW is the ONLY airline that will let you change your flights (anytime/day) and not charge you a $75+ rebooking fee and actually give you a credit that ANYONE can use in the next year...I'd say that that's a pretty good deal...Just look at it as another Disney trip possibly.
:pirate:

BMan62
08-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Southwest NEVER gives money back. Any refunds are issued as credit good for one year.

Just look at it this way -- your next flight is paid for already!

brad817
08-30-2008, 09:10 AM
OK thanks. You are all correct, Southwest is much better than other airlines in this regard. Apparently I did misunderstand the policy.

Yes, I'm happy to have $498 to use for future travel. I was just under the impression that if the same flight dropped fares, I could get that money back.

Thanks. :mickey:

jpH/keD
08-30-2008, 11:19 AM
I would be upset too! But unfortunately I don't think cash back is going to happen anywhere, anytime soon with this economy going in the current direction!

For me that would be that much less money I could spend on my current trip! Sorry for your
loss! I feel for you! :thumbsup: But hey- you ARE going to WDW!...and I am not...anytime soon! Have fun!

BigRedDad
08-30-2008, 01:39 PM
How can you be upset with Southwest? You purchased "Nonrefundable" tickets didn't you?

It is pretty clear that it is not their policy, rather what you purchased. If you want a refundable ticket, you should spend the premium for that privilege. No other airline offers canceling and rebooking for a lower fare without having to pay for it. You should feel happy you were able to save almost $500.

With that said, there is hope. I found you cannot put those vouchers on here for sale. I put mine on ebay this morning. The total of my vouchers were $450. They sold within an hour of listing them for 85% of the value. I should have listed them for more. My recommendation is to eBay them for 90-95% of the value.

brad817
08-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Great idea. I'll keep that in mind for future reference. But I will be able to use the credit within the next year as we have trips to Vegas and Disney (again!!) planned next summer.

TheRustyScupper
08-31-2008, 04:11 PM
. . . I'm happy to have $498 to use for future travel. I was just under the impression that if the same flight dropped fares, I could get that money back . . .

1) Why?
2) Getting a credit for travel within 265 days is fair.
3) They still get a flying & paying customer, just later.
4) Refunded money might not come back, and they are out the money.
5) Thus, by reducing prices, they lose now and later.
6) Doesn't sound right for the airline.