PDA

View Full Version : Disney on Google Earth Q&A

Red Randal
08-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Hey folks...

I was just flying around Disney World courtesy of Google Earth and had one of those "what in the world is that?!?" moments. In other words, I saw something that I completely did not recognize and was wondering what it could be. I did a quick search here that yielded nothing and it got me thinking...

Maybe we should create a thread for all of those Disney on Google Earth questions. Rather than have a million "what is that building?" and "where are the monorails?" posts, everyone could just ask and get their answers here. Don't know if it will catch on but we can give it a shot.

I'll open the discussion with this:

What is that building between Pop Century and the Caribbean Beach Resort? It's directly across Century Drive (the Pop Century access road) from the 50's section of the resort. It seems to be two large connected buildings surrounded by a parking lot. It even has a small dock near it's entrance (the dock is in the small lagoon bordering the Trinidad South section of the Caribbean Beach Resort (the waterway that eventually becomes CBR's "Barefoot Bay.")

So...what in the world is that?

GrumpyFan
08-29-2008, 05:54 PM
I believe it's a "backstage" Disney maintenance facility. I remember seeing it from the busses. I'm not sure what exactly they do there though.

Zone Stop
08-29-2008, 07:21 PM
It's the Cast Services building for Caribbean Beach & Pop.

Want to see something impressive? Check out the backstage area just north across the road from Saratoga Springs.

ParkMan
08-29-2008, 11:32 PM
I've looked at WDW in Google Earth many times, but I've never paid much attention to the backstage areas.

These posts inspired me to go take a look. It's amazing how many facilities there are.

I like the one just north of the MK.

Wickster1970
08-29-2008, 11:47 PM
I have spent countless hours zooming around the World at both Google Maps and Live Search. I prefer Live search because of the 'Birds Eye' view.
Check it out... http://maps.live.com/

GrumpyFan
08-30-2008, 02:03 PM
I love looking at the overheads of WDW. I find myself dreaming about being there and what ifs for areas and imagineering ides.

One of the neatest areas to look at is the fireworks compound. I won't tell where it is, but I will advise, it's secluded from normal guest access and I've heard that Disney security patrols it heavily.

Red Randal
08-30-2008, 03:09 PM
I have spent countless hours zooming around the World at both Google Maps and Live Search. I prefer Live search because of the 'Birds Eye' view.
Check it out... http://maps.live.com/

I just checked this out now. It's pretty cool, indeed.

Though I was just looking at Epcot and wondering when the picture was taken (as it was daylight yet no people were around) and how old the picture was since the WOL helix was there, and Living Seas was not yet Nemo themed...then the screen refreshed and not only were there people in the park but the Nemo theming was there!!

I don't know what happened but it was pretty cool.

chrisb26
08-30-2008, 11:11 PM
It is pretty cool to see the birds eye view of the parks.

Though I was just looking at Epcot and wondering when the picture was taken (as it was daylight yet no people were around) and how old the picture was since the WOL helix was there, and Living Seas was not yet Nemo themed...then the screen refreshed and not only were there people in the park but the Nemo theming was there!!

I don't know what happened but it was pretty cool.

I am pretty sure it has to do with the angle you are looking at and how you are zoomed in. I think the satellite that took the photos took them at different times even different days. There for depending on where you look there will be people or there wont be people. Some things will be there that are not there before.