PDA

View Full Version : WL or Poly?

Gregandmel
08-29-2008, 05:20 PM
If $$ were not an issue (even though it is, but let's pretend it isn't )and you had to choose between these 2 resorts, which would you choose?

Cheloconnell
08-29-2008, 05:25 PM
This is difficult since I think they are totally two different experiences. If I were to stay at Poly it would only be on the beach with a theme park view. Otherwise, I think it would definitely be WL. Poly is in need of some rehab in my opinion. It is nice to have the monorail, but it is truly a hike from one part of the resort to the other. :mickey:

SBETigg
08-29-2008, 07:03 PM
The Polynesian. I love the theming, the lobby, the pools, and most of all-- the location and transportation options. It gives it the clear edge over the Wilderness Lodge, to me.

Gregandmel
08-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Ok - so here's the deal. We are planning a trip to WDW in October (our 1st) and we are scheduled to stay at the Poly. It was hard NOT to book the Wilderness Lodge because that is the sort of "theming" that my family LOVES. National Parks are our favorite places to visit! We have a Great Wolf Lodge close by and since we have something like that close, wanted to stretch ourselves and stay somewhere different, but wonderful. What do you all think? We have dinner ressies our last night at the WL and hopefully we won't regret staying at the Poly afterwards. Convince me we've made the right decision. We still have 5 weeks before our trip, so I guess I have time to change. Aghhh....I can't believe how many times I've gone back and forth with this sort of stuff!! Will we love the Poly or be dissapointed?

RedSoxFan
08-29-2008, 07:51 PM
I would love to stay at both the WL and Poly. But if I had to choose, I would pick the Poly. I don't see how you can go wrong with the Poly. It gets so many great reviews on this site. Enjoy your trip.

Figment78
08-29-2008, 10:03 PM
We love both the WL and Poly and I really can't say which I love more. Our plan is to alternate!!!

Seriously though, since you have experienced the Great Lodge accomodations previously - try the Poly. You will definitely not regret it. It is a really fun resort, and the convenience of the monorail and TTC is really nice. (Not to say that the WL transportation is bad, we've not had problems with it).

As for rehab, I believe the Poly has been recently rehabed - at least the rooms. When I was there last October my room had a flat panel tv, the updated bathrooms and countertops, headboards, etc.

If you can, request to stay on the side of the resort by the TTC - just for convenience.

Enjoy the beauty of the tiki torches lighting the pathways at night, the sounds of the luau, the zero entry pool right on the beach, the kona coffee bar, and the electric water parade. Also, if you are at the hotel during the time of MK fireworks, you can see them from the resort - a special treat.

If you go to the WL for dinner and decide that you want to stay there - well, you'll just have to come back! ;)

Tinkerbella16
08-30-2008, 08:59 AM
The Poly is the one resort at WDW that I have always dreamed of staying in, just can't afford it. It is my fave resort on property and I've never even stayed there before, but I go there every trip for a meal. The Hawaiian atmosphere is amazing, the view of MK from the beach is gorgeous. The Poly has the best places to dine IMO...O'hana and Kona Kafe are my favorite places to eat on property. I always tell myself that someday I will stay there...I will have to save for 2 years, but I'll do it. I think you made the right choice, and you def won't be dissappointed.

Gregandmel
08-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Ok - you've all made sense! Dh and I have decided that if we ever make it back to WDW and we LOVE the WL, we will come back sometime in November when the xmas decor is up and stay at WL that time. We had to really really REALLY stretch it to stay at the Poly. Even postponed our trip for a year so we could save. This site gives the Poly great reviews so thanks for some of the descriptions! Can't wait to have a Mai Tai or Lupa Lupa on the beach!!

mouseketeer mom
09-02-2008, 08:17 AM
The WL and the Poly are very different. But they both our favorite resorts. Both of them are peaceful and beautiful. Both of them are sooooo very relaxing and both are heavily themed. We have a Great Wolf Lodge by us too. You cannot compare it to WL. While the colors and the theming might be somewhat the same..WL feels like the real deal. GWL feels plastic, ..if that makes sense.

scootch713
09-02-2008, 08:30 AM
We love both... I do miss the monorail when we are at WL, but did find the MK bus is as fast as the monorail... just not as fun.