PDA

View Full Version : Please send some pixie dust and love our way!

crazeedizneefinatic
08-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Well, it was inevitable. I knew it was coming. Long story short. I pulled my son from his private school this year, he was going into 3rd grade. I felt he was not getting what he needed to nurture his development. He is very bright, a straight A student. I looked at other schools, private and public. I looked into cyber school and decided after much research and thought it was the way to go. I am simply amazed at the cirriculum (sp?) and support system in place to make this sucessful. Well, today we went up to see some of my sons friends at school dismissal time. One mother approached my son and asked why he was not in school. He told her, she walked over to me and started in on how my choice was basically a terrible one. How lonely I will be at home all day, how unsocialized my son will become and how great the school year has been for her daughter so far. I was speechless. The only thing I could say was there are some parents that can do it and some who can't. I walked away and just cried all the way home. It has been such a hard decision to pull him, but honestly the school was holding him back, the teaching was outdated and the cirriculum was behind our public school system.

Please send me some kind words of wisdom to get through this. I know its the right choice for all of us. I just don't know why some people can be so uneducated as to judge my parenting without even understanding or wanting to hear about our new school,

HELP! For those of you that homeschool or cyber school I need some kind words.

LauraleeH
08-29-2008, 04:10 PM
I was home-schooled for 10 years, so I know how you feel, because people were always giving me lectures about how I was missing out and obviously had no social life, on and on, etc...

Truth is, I never felt like I was missing anything. I (still) have the best friends in the world, I went to dances and graduations and field trips...anything and everything.
And, I got an amazing education that I otherwise wouldn't have.

You know your child and what's best for him. Other people don't get a say in that. Sorry, but they just don't know YOUR child like you do.

It's sad that some people feel like they need to make your business theirs and give their opinions, and I'm sorry you had to go through that, but at the end of the day, if you're doing what's right...that's all that matters.

kakn7294
08-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Don't worry about what others think of your decision. You do what you feel is best for your son - only you know him and his needs. Best of luck to you!

DisneyOtaku
08-29-2008, 06:38 PM
I would just make sure your kid has social interactions with his peers, like sports. That way he doesn't feel like he's missing out on that aspect.

iluvdizney2
08-29-2008, 09:45 PM
I have homeschooled for 14 years and I have to say my kids have a social life that is a killer. Not only do we have one eagle scout, but we had 2 boys scouts and youth group programs, kids clubs and co ops. Plus we are involved in MDA and my youngest does the Jr. ambassador program for them....We go to all the National parks and do the Park Ranger programs, plus they have all been able to go to Disney when ever we like! :secret::cloud9: I just had to toss that in! You actually get a great education because you can spend it working on the things they need extra help with, or letting them run with the info they do know and get ahead. No matter what some one says, there is no right or wrong way to an education. You do what you feel your child needs. Some kids do much better in a school setting, and some do better calmly at home. In the end we all want our kids to have learned, go to a college, and be able to make a life for themselves. How we get there really doesnt matter.
Best of luck!!!!!:thumbsup:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-30-2008, 12:07 AM
Best of luck to you and your son. There are always going to be people that have to give their opinons and think that their way is the only way.
You made the decision that was right for your son and family. Don't let anyone make you feel badly about that.

BronxTigger
08-30-2008, 12:43 AM
She's probably jealous!

Don't worry about her. YOU were the one doing the research for YOUR CHILD and YOU chose what you think is best for this time and place. She has done the same for her child. Don't let her, or anyone else, make you re-think your decision.

ChipnDaleGal
08-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Parenting is so hard. Kids don't come with an instruction manual, so we have to do the best we can. If your decisions come from a loving place and you are trying to do what you think is best for your child, then you are doing the best you can and your son will be fine. It speaks volumes that you are so concerned. It means you care about him and you will notice if this isn't the right path for him. Good luck to both of you.

crazypoohbear
08-30-2008, 09:11 AM
As long as you are giving your child the best education that works for him and will help him become a functioning, productive member of society then you go for it!
You could send your child to the top rated school in the country and if it is not the right fit for him then he will not get out of it what he should.

I sent my DS to a private catholic high school and it was the absolute worst school in the world. A religion teacher that took the American flag out of her classroom, this same religion teacher told the class that they "should not pray for the american soldiers because they kill innocent Iraqis" I contacted the Boston Arch diocese to complain and I was told that "this is not happening, THis is a misunderstanding", "you mis interpreted what was said" etc, etc, etc. The principal was a total whack job that culminated with my Sister and son having to go to the local police station and the police MAKING her give my son his books, grades, diploma etc. The police made her come out of the school and give my son his belongings or she would be charged with larceny!
Now this is a "good catholic school" and I still have friends who send their kids there knowing what happened with my child.
My point is they feel they are doing the right thing for their kids, who am I to judge, maybe their kids will have a different experience

Do what is the best fit for your child and don't let anyone make you feel that you are injuring your child somehow. As long as you are not setting him up for failure, ridicule or heartbreak then do what you need to for your child.

Kairi_7378
08-30-2008, 12:37 PM
I don't have kids yet but I wanted to say that it is YOUR choice to educate YOUR child in the way that you need to. I think you're going to get a lot of snide comments about your choice. Just tell them, "Thanks for your opinion" and change the subject.

crazeedizneefinatic
09-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks for everyones words of encouragement. I took the weekend to try and get over these comments. It was hard and I still hear them in my head. I know my son will be just fine and we will have the best school year ever. It's going to be such a breath of fresh air and am hoping this turns out to be the best decision ever, if not that's okay too.

I knew everything was going to be okay when we were driving home and I had tears running down my face and my son said to me "mom don't worry, she doesn't know what she is talking about". I just hope that his old friends don't exclude him, now that is my latest fear. My son is involved in plenty. Little league, boy scouts and such. We are going to still try and make regular play dates with the friends that still go to the school. I see no reason not too. Friends are friends. I think some people think I am going to lock him in the house and chain him the his computer desk, who knows what they think?

Anyway, thanks for comforting me!

Here we go again...
09-02-2008, 03:34 AM
I agree with the other posters. This is your choice and you are doing what is best for your child.

I will give you a flip side to this... please remember that I am not judging you in any way shape or form. I would have home schooled my kids if I could have.

My DD met her future husband in church, Traditional Catholic family. Her DH did not participate in any sports or go out to dances or do anything that would have seemed wrong in the catholic religion. He was 19 and my DD was 14 when they met. This was a HUGE problem for me. I allowed him to come around, but they could not be alone. They married when my DD turned 18. Sounds like a storybook romance right? Wrong.... It did not take long before my DD started noticing the areas that he was lacking social skills. He did not go out dancing or spending time with friends. He thought staying home his kids and family was enough. I thought they would end up in divorce.
After much counceling and work on their marraige they are fine.

Just remember to enroll him in fun classes, teach him to dance and to live life to the fullest!

mrsgaribaldi
09-02-2008, 04:02 AM
I'm sure your son will do great at home :pixie::pixie::pixie:

crazeedizneefinatic
09-02-2008, 03:46 PM
I will give you a flip side to this... please remember that I am not judging you in any way shape or form. I would have home schooled my kids if I could have.

Just remember to enroll him in fun classes, teach him to dance and to live life to the fullest!

No offense taken at all. I feel very sad for your son in law and what your DD must of went through. I am happy to know they worked through it. Social activities are something I don't have to worry about. We are continually active. My son is entering 3rd grade so he has already been socialized since preschool. The experience of a classroom is there, which is nice. He will see both sides of this. He has established friends in the neighborhood and at his old school. The parents of his friends have no problem with still allowing their children to socialize with my son. I was worried about that but they seem open. We live really close to his old school and plan to visit the playground there on occassion, it was okay with the principal. We also have some great programs through our membership at the childrens museum we belong to.

Well, we made it through the 1st day today. It held my sons interest and we learned alot about navigating the websites we are going to use. It simply blows my mind how organzied and accessible this is! I cannot wait for tomorrow when we have a "live" class. There are 10 children in the 3rd grade and they actually conduct a class. It is at 1:45 tomorrow. He will also get to interact with the other students and teacher through a headset and microphone, it should be interesting. I am hoping to get to know the students and hope to meet them and their families at the monthly social nights at the facility.

I so want this to work out for him. Please continue to send your words of wisdom and thoughts.

Wish us luck!

LauraleeH
09-02-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm glad the first day went so well, and I'm hoping the rest of the school year is even better :thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
09-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Glad to see you are off to a great start. Have a wonderful school year.