PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about traveling in and around Los Angeles?

J9
08-29-2008, 02:33 PM
I've got a job for the semester doing admissions recruiting for my school, and am being sent pretty much all over the country! (yay!)

One of the places I'm being sent is LA/San Diego. I've never been there before (except for a day when visiting a friend), and was trying to plan this out.

I need to be in Riverside on Day 1, San Diego on Day 2, and LA on Day 3.

I was thinking of maybe staying in Anaheim so I could check out DL when I'm back from my recruiting stuff (and I've heard LA is kinda scary, especially since I'm staying alone. I've only got like a $120 a night budget, so I probably couldn't get approval for a non-dive in LA.)

Anyone familiar with the area know how the drive from Anaheim to Riverside and Anaheim to LA is? What about San Diego? Would you suggest taking a train or driving and booking a hotel for the night there? I've never been on the west coast really so I'm clueless.

Thanks!!!!

BrerGnat
08-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Janine,
I live in Irvine, as does another Intercotee, Chris (2Epcot). Irvine is pretty much smack dab in the center of those three areas you need to travel to, more or less (San Diego is further south). He is familiar with traveling to L.A. I believe he commutes there daily. He might pop in to help you out too.

You can PM me if you want, but I'd agree that your suggestion to stay in Anaheim is a pretty good one, since it's fairly centrally located to all three locations. Or, you could check out staying in Irvine as well, since it will put you a BIT closer to San Diego to make that drive faster, and will not complicate your drive to L.A. or Riverside at all (in fact, it may help out your drive to Riverside, as you can access the toll roads very easily from here, and avoid traffic that way). There are LOTS of hotels/motels here in Irvine, as there is a lot of business/industry here. In addition, you could fly right into the Santa Ana (Orange County) airport, which would be VERY convenient, especially if you stay in Irvine, since there are a lot of hotels right there. That would actually be my recommendation. From the airport location, Disneyland is about 15 min away, so visiting the parks in the afternoon/evening would be easy for you.

You will have to deal with some major traffic no matter what, so plan accordingly and allow enough travel time. Your trip down to San Diego you should plan 2 hours minimum to get down there in the morning. You can make it to L.A. (downtown) from Anaheim in anywhere from 30-60 min, depending on traffic. Riverside is the same.

I would just book a hotel in Anaheim, close to DL (for you) ;) and do the drive to each location each day. San Diego will be the longest drive, but even then, it's only about 90 miles from Anaheim, so it's not killer.

azdisneymom
08-30-2008, 02:15 AM
I have driven in Southern California on many vacations and I must say I hate it. I feel a lot of the drivers are rude and the roads are really crowded. However the freeway system is certainly doable. If you have something like mapquest or a rental car with GPS you will have no trouble getting around. Just give yourself extra time to handle the traffic.

crazypoohbear
08-30-2008, 09:18 AM
I drove all over California on my honeymoon. I found it easy to navigate (this was even before GPS) The traffic is a challenge ( and I drive in Boston!)
The trick is to not make eye contact and dont' show fear! ;)
I would stay in anaheim if possible and if you could extend the trip and spend a night in San Diego ( do the zoo and sea world) then you will be much less stressed.
Have fun

J9
08-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Oh my goodness! Thanks!

I didn't know there was another Orange County airport. LAX sounds kinds busy and scary, so this is probably better. I'm thinking that I will stay in Anaheim. And I can take Amtrak from Santa Ana to San Diego and save myself that drive at least. I have to do like 4 hours of career fairs each day, but I can check out disney or DTD in the afternoons and evenings. I just wish i wasn't going alone. Being in the parks by yourself is ok, but it's much better with friends. I'm trying to convince someone to come with me hahah!