PDA

View Full Version : Gustav

daparish
08-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Please, please, please say a prayer for everyone along the Gulf Coast!!! I am really starting to panick. I have already called Beth (Ms. Min). Thanks so much Beth for listening to me. It is really not looking good for New Orleans again. Friday is the anniversary of Katrina. I know we choose to live here and hurricanes are something we need to deal with, but I can't believe we are facing something that has the potential to do much more destruction than Katrina if it comes up the mouth of the Missippis River. Bret (Sgt Tigger) - you and Sherrie are in my prayers. I know how hard you were hit for Katrina because I know what my family went through and they live in the same parish as you do. Also, a special prayer to Bret and the rest of the policeman and fireman who put their on lives in danger to be sure everyone else is save. God bless.

tinkerbell04
08-27-2008, 06:42 PM
I was thinking of all of you as I watched the vening news tonight. My thoughts and prayers are with you as we continue to watch the storm. Please stay safe.

DisneyDog
08-27-2008, 07:34 PM
I am quite nervous for all of you, having lived through 4 hurricanes in one year in SW Florida. We didn't really have much damage in any of those storms, but as a northerner not used to hurricanes, it was nerve wracking for us. My heart and prayers go out to all of you. I will (figuratively) be holding my breath for you until Gustav is over.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Well....I'm kind of worried too....the Mississippi Gulf Coast is still devastated and hasn't recovered from Katrina....if NO gets hit we will be in trouble too...one of the models actually puts it on Biloxi...I am taking my family to my sister in North Mississippi and I have to return within 24 hrs. or when declared safe because I am a dispatcher with Marine Patrol....when the storms move out and floods start coming we will have to get boats in the water!!!! Please send prayers and pixie dust so that nobody in the coastal states gets slammed too bad...

SgtTigger
08-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Bret (Sgt Tigger) - you and Sherrie are in my prayers.

Thanks Lori.........

Things are getting crazy around here.......

Since this is the first storm since Katrina people are very on edge......
Work is Bad....... real crazy it is 5 days out and I dont think I can take this for 5 days..... I have been doing great for now till I sit and think about it I guess....
Sherrie will be out of here so that is a good thing..... just not sure if she is going to Houston of Hammond...... Just wait and see.......

:cop: :tigger:

Marilyn Michetti
08-27-2008, 09:00 PM
My prayers are with everybody in Gustovs path. Katrina was so horrific ! Please, everyone, be O.K. (No icon quite fits this one).

BronxTigger
08-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Friday is the anniversary of Katrina.

:grouphug:

:pixie: and prayers for all of you.

disneydeb
08-27-2008, 09:27 PM
God bless all of you in the path. I know wounds are still open from Katrina. I want you to know you are in my prayers the next few days. :hug:

daparish
08-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Well....I'm kind of worried too....the Mississippi Gulf Coast is still devastated and hasn't recovered from Katrina....if NO gets hit we will be in trouble too...one of the models actually puts it on Biloxi...I am taking my family to my sister in North Mississippi and I have to return within 24 hrs. or when declared safe because I am a dispatcher with Marine Patrol....when the storms move out and floods start coming we will have to get boats in the water!!!! Please send prayers and pixie dust so that nobody in the coastal states gets slammed too bad...

My prayers are with you and your family and the entire coast. If NO gets a direct hit, unfortunately Mississippi will bare the brunt of the dreaded east side of the hurricane. God bless and stay safe.

daparish
08-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Sherrie will be out of here so that is a good thing..... just not sure if she is going to Houston of Hammond...... Just wait and see.......

I actually booked yesterday in Baton Rouge thinking I would be a head of the game. This morning I called to confirm and found out that even if you book with a credit card and receive the confirmation, the hotel will not be honoring any reservations. They said that since Katrina they have a large corporation that signed a contract with them to reserve all rooms once a hurricane is projected to hit SE Louisiana. This means that all these people believe they have rooms and when they get there they will not be honored. There are no hotel rooms available in all of Louisiana. I was able to book Birmingham, Al. We are going to wait and see. I am in Kenner. If it's going to be bigger than a Cat 2 and keeps the same projected path we will leave. If it is a Cat 2 or less my family will probably all come to my house and we will wait it out together. We did not flood for Katrina but that was the luck of the levee breaking on the opposite side of the 17 street canal. Stay safe!!!

Strmchsr
08-27-2008, 10:01 PM
All ya'll are welcome in my area of Montgomery! :)

I'll definitely be praying for those of you directly in the path. I'm gearing up as well coordinating and training all of our disaster response teams. The only good news I might could give you is that I've been watching the models closely and it appears there's a chance that Gustav could pull in a good bit of dry air once he's over the Gulf which would weaken him considerably. Chances are Gustav will be a major (Cat 3+) hurricane, but at least there's a legitimate reason to hope for weakening.

BronxTigger
08-27-2008, 10:04 PM
I had to go look at Google maps. (The satellite view of the delta is amazing, by the way....ETA: I wish I had not zoomed in....:()

The closest hotel room you could get was in Birmingham? How many hours does that take (in normal traffic)?

I also did not realize Baton Rouge was so close to New Orleans. For some reason I thought it was more towards the middle of the state. I guess you learn something new every day.

buzznwoodysmom
08-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Oh boy this storm has me very scared. DH is in the national guard and he just got the call that he has to report for duty at 8am tomorrow morning. That means any picking up and getting our house ready for the storm is all up to me. I have no idea what I am going to do. The thought of having to go out and get plywood to board up our windows my self makes me feel sick. This is our first hurricane season in our new home so we don't have any "hurricane supplies" for this house yet. Wish me luck! This will also be the first time DH has to report for duty during a hurricane. He was still in Iraq for Katrina. So please pray for him to stay safe. Prayers to everyone in this storm's path.

mickeys_princess_mom
08-27-2008, 10:43 PM
They said that since Katrina they have a large corporation that signed a contract with them to reserve all rooms once a hurricane is projected to hit SE Louisiana. This means that all these people believe they have rooms and when they get there they will not be honored. There are no hotel rooms available in all of Louisiana.
This is wild. I'm sure we'll just stay here, but boy it's nerve-wracking watching and waiting, isn't it? Was trying to reassure my classes today. You could have heard a pin drop. Some of these kids are just getting over Katrina experiences. Wish we were in the Magic!

LauraleeH
08-27-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm praying for everyone who will be affected.

Mousemates
08-27-2008, 11:39 PM
will be praying for you guys.

disneydrmr
08-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Thoughts and prayers for all in the path! Please stay safe! And Sgt Tigger - I"ll be saying extra special prayers for you and the rest of the police (and other rescue personnel) in the area! Please everyone - stay safe.. get out of the path.. and let us all know your status as soon as you can!!!!

MNNHFLTX
08-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Yeah, this is one to watch, isn't it? And of course, the frustrating thing about hurricanes is that there's nothing you can do but just keep monitoring where it's going and prepare as best you can. At best--and this is about a positive a thought as I can come up with right now--I guess we will find out if we (as in our cities, state and country) have learned our lessons from Katrina (and Rita, as far as an evacuation fiasco).

We are 70 miles inland in Houston, so I am not so concerned for myself. But I will be praying for everyone along the coast. Bret, a special prayer goes out for you and your fellow officers.

BTW, right now the local news there are plenty of hotel rooms inland in Houston, although that could change if it looks like Gustav is heading toward Galveston at all and people start to plan an evacuation.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-28-2008, 10:55 AM
I had to go look at Google maps. (The satellite view of the delta is amazing, by the way....ETA: I wish I had not zoomed in....:()

The closest hotel room you could get was in Birmingham? How many hours does that take (in normal traffic)?

I also did not realize Baton Rouge was so close to New Orleans. For some reason I thought it was more towards the middle of the state. I guess you learn something new every day.

Its about 2 hrs away but with a storm that's not very far....Baton Rouge was affected with Katrina too, not quite as devasting as New Orleans...any towns on the North East side of the storm will be hit particularly hard....like Slidell, La

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-28-2008, 10:58 AM
I actually booked yesterday in Baton Rouge thinking I would be a head of the game. This morning I called to confirm and found out that even if you book with a credit card and receive the confirmation, the hotel will not be honoring any reservations. They said that since Katrina they have a large corporation that signed a contract with them to reserve all rooms once a hurricane is projected to hit SE Louisiana. This means that all these people believe they have rooms and when they get there they will not be honored. There are no hotel rooms available in all of Louisiana. I was able to book Birmingham, Al. We are going to wait and see. I am in Kenner. If it's going to be bigger than a Cat 2 and keeps the same projected path we will leave. If it is a Cat 2 or less my family will probably all come to my house and we will wait it out together. We did not flood for Katrina but that was the luck of the levee breaking on the opposite side of the 17 street canal. Stay safe!!!

that's awful, I booked hotels two days ago so that I could be sure my son and my mother had a safe place to go....however that's in Mississippi, I'm hoping the deal you are talking about doesn't apply here.:(

Piglet822
08-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Prayers and :pixie: coming your way!!

mickeys_princess_mom
08-28-2008, 01:03 PM
And Sgt Tigger - I"ll be saying extra special prayers for you and the rest of the police (and other rescue personnel) in the area!
Absolutely!!! Can't say enough about how much we appreciate what you do!
Today at school the computers were all getting locked up cause all the staff had weather channel on computers in their rooms. My goal for today--send every kid home with a good library book "just in case". We had a little talk yesterday about things they could do (a little empowerment, here) to "prepare" even at this early stage, and how picking up things in the yard would be helpful by freeing up their parents to do other preparations. Many came in today telling what they did, and they feel good about it. Kept their minds occupied, too. Some told me they're going to help out their elderly neighbors today. Makes you real proud of these kids--kind of gets to me.

MsMin
08-28-2008, 07:05 PM
It's not looking good. I looked at the high pressure systems that will push the storm away and it wasn't encouraging. The models are now focused on our areas more than before.
MississippiDisneyFreak I am not familiar with McHenry??? My parents lived in Pearlington, Ms and had moved up to Baton Rouge before the storm. Their old house had an elevation of 17 feet and had 5 feet of water on the second floor.
We lived on the Rigolets in Camille and lost our house when I was young. Once is enough for me.
I remember when Betsy went straight up the Ms. River and hit BR pretty hard too.
It all depends on who is East of the storm:(
I have been looking for D batteries for 2 days.
I know BR got hit hard in Andrew. I was in Slidell then.
IF anyone needs a place I'm here in BR -- we also take animals. Lori and Bret (you know Sherrie and Koda are welcome here too) the door is open.
When I was young my grandfather was a State Trooper (troop B) in New Orleans. I know how frightening it can be when your loved ones are out helping others. Bret we are with you in spirit and our prayers are with you to keep you safe. :pixie:
Lori, so sorry they canceled your reservations. The holiday Inn threw us out after we lost our house in Camille. They needed room for telephone repairmen :unsure:
Thanks to all the states that have already offered help. It's incredible that states have already offered help with buses to help evacuate the people of N.O., ambulance to move the sick and elderly etc. :thumbsup:

Nana
08-28-2008, 07:17 PM
My prayers are with everyone that may be impacted by Gustav. I have lots of friends along the coast. I talked to several of them today and I could tell their nerves were on edge. I felt so bad for them. They have jobs and family. They could not leave after Katrina and they really thought that it would be a long time before another Hurricane like Katrina hit thier way. I work for the electric company helping prepare the crews for storm duty. I can tell you that we have been ready since before Fay hit. I think everyone including us learned from Katrina. Please be safe. My prayers are with all.

Meerkat
08-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Good luck and best wishes to everyone on the gulf coast. We are still coping with water damage after TS Fay stalled over us for almost two days. I can sympathize with anyone in Gustov's path.

pogo
08-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Prayers are coming from the North Coast to everyone on the Gulf Coast that are centered in the cross hairs of this storm.

Extra prayers for Bret and family. I've always admired your humor and Wit..... now I admire your courage. :tiphat: Be safe, my friend. :D

Here we go again...
08-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi everyone.
I have been away for a while but had to pop in and send my thoughts and prayers to all in the path of this Hurricane.
I spoke with Beth (msmin) and Bret (sgttigger) today. Beth is fine and preparing for the storm. Bret... well.... he is not doing very well. (are you proud of me Beth??? I said WELL)
He is extemely stressed out... worried about his health, Sherrie, what could happen next and I know he does not want to go through this again.
For those of you that have never seen the death and destruction left behind by a hurricane, be thankful. Bret lived it... days without water or showers, dealing with people dying all around him. Katrina changed his life in many ways. I am sure that he was thankful to have his Intercot family here for him to get him through. Many people wonder why he did not leave... it was because he could not. He is part of a mandatory stay team. So please, please send your thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

As for us, we will be sticking around. Since I work in pharmacy we are one of the first places people go to when they realize that they forgot those all important medications at home.
Please pack those first. By law we can only help with maintanence medications. (heart, blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) We will not provide schedule mecications with out a valid prescription... your xrays will not help.
So, unless we are underwater, CVS will be ready to go. We have generators to keep the stores open and trucks of ice and water ready to roll - at regular price or free.

Please keep us in your prayers. We are going into New Orleans tomorrow for a last weekend of fun. Hopefully it will be fine in another week, but who knows. Afrer that, I might send my DD and DH up to Oxford Ms to stay with my SIL.

Anyone that has access to computers throughout the hurricane, please call others and keep us updated. We lost track of some of our regulars after Katrina... we still do not know if they are okay. I want to know that everyone is okay when this is over.

Lori, you can come here and stay with us if you want to.
Angel

Dsnygirl
08-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Sending prayers and :pixie: from the North for you all... I hope & pray this storm weakens and comes in with a minimum of rain/winds.... I can't imagine how hard it is for all of you to have to just watch and wait, not knowing what will happen, esp. after what you went through 3 years ago. God bless, stay safe & let us know how you are!

daparish
08-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks Beth and Angel for your offers. I think we will be heading to Alabama. This waiting is killing me. I am so torn as to what to do. I did just call and confirm my rooms in Alabama. My family is coming over to sleep at my house on Saturday and if we need to we are leaving early on Sunday. My house did not flood for Katrina but just several miles down the street was total devastation. Since Katrina they have built a flood gate that would prevent the water from Lake Ponchartrain from getting into the 17th Street canal. I hate to take the chance with my 75 year old mom and 3 year old niece. I just hate the thought of evacuating. For Katrina it was 16 hours to get from New Orleans to Panama City (usually takes about 5) and it was so hard trying to get gas along the way. I also worry that my niece's car will run hot in the grid lock. Then I worry that the stress from evacuating may be worse on my mom then staying. The current path does not have us getting a direct hit so I don't think we would get the storm surge like Katrina. We can handel the street flooding from rain where I live. I will update before it hits and let everyone know what we decide. Beth has my cell phone. Say a prayer for the entire coast because our local meterologist are stressing that those from Alabama to Texas need to be on alert for this one. God bless.

SgtTigger
08-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Bret lived it... days without water or showers, dealing with people dying all around him. Katrina changed his life in many ways. I am sure that he was thankful to have his Intercot family here for him to get him through. Many people wonder why he did not leave... it was because he could not. He is part of a mandatory stay team. So please, please send your thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

My how things change........

I just talked to Angel this morning......

I have always been on the stay team....... even till the last 35 people I am here to stay....

Well all that changed today.... For those who don't know I was in the hospital from Tuesday till Saturday last week.... The major problem was pancreatitis but a bunch of other things as well....... I just went back to work on Wednesday and worked all day... then came home and got a bunch of stuff ready here. Well I have no energy and am still recovering so they have decided that I am going to be one of two Captains that are going to be in charge of the evacuation team. I am bring out a trailer of our equipment and then I am staying in Hammond ( an hour a half north of us) where if we evacuate personal and equipment and cars that is where they are all going. So I get to stay with Sherrie at my moms till I have to report to the evacuation center.

So I will be out of the major harm and ready to go back in as soon as the all clear is given.......

Thanks to all who have been thinking of me and my friends at work please keep them in your prayers....

daparish
08-28-2008, 11:39 PM
My how things change........

I just talked to Angel this morning......

I have always been on the stay team....... even till the last 35 people I am here to stay....

Well all that changed today.... For those who don't know I was in the hospital from Tuesday till Saturday last week.... The major problem was pancreatitis but a bunch of other things as well....... I just went back to work on Wednesday and worked all day... then came home and got a bunch of stuff ready here. Well I have no energy and am still recovering so they have decided that I am going to be one of two Captains that are going to be in charge of the evacuation team. I am bring out a trailer of our equipment and then I am staying in Hammond ( an hour a half north of us) where if we evacuate personal and equipment and cars that is where they are all going. So I get to stay with Sherrie at my moms till I have to report to the evacuation center.

So I will be out of the major harm and ready to go back in as soon as the all clear is given.......

Thanks to all who have been thinking of me and my friends at work please keep them in your prayers....

Bret,
I am sorry to hear that you were sick. I hope you get better soon. I am glad that you will not be there especially being ill recently. I just saw on the news mandatory evacuation will be issued for Saturday evening.

BronxTigger
08-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Extra prayers for Bret and family. I've always admired your humor and Wit..... now I admire your courage. :tiphat: Be safe, my friend. :D

Well said. I cannot imagine...

I spoke with Beth (msmin) and Bret (sgttigger) today. Beth is fine and preparing for the storm. Bret... well.... he is not doing very well. (are you proud of me Beth??? I said WELL)
He is extemely stressed out... worried about his health, Sherrie, what could happen next and I know he does not want to go through this again.
For those of you that have never seen the death and destruction left behind by a hurricane, be thankful. Bret lived it... days without water or showers, dealing with people dying all around him. Katrina changed his life in many ways. I am sure that he was thankful to have his Intercot family here for him to get him through. Many people wonder why he did not leave... it was because he could not. He is part of a mandatory stay team. So please, please send your thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

Prayers are on the way from NYC.

Please keep us in your prayers. We are going into New Orleans tomorrow for a last weekend of fun. Hopefully it will be fine in another week, but who knows.

:( Have a good time; take lots of photos. And pray. A lot.

I want to know that everyone is okay when this is over.
Angel

Yes, please let us know you are okay as soon as you can! Stay safe everybody!

:pixie:

Dsnygirl
08-28-2008, 11:45 PM

Bret, I'm glad to hear you'll be able to stay w/ Sherrie and be out of harm's way... I hope that this whole thing becomes much less than expected, but regardless -- I'm glad to know you'll be one of the ones heading north!

BronxTigger
08-29-2008, 12:06 AM

Oh, wow. That sounds like great news for you. I'm sorry you got sick but it sounds like the timing has turned into a bit of a blessing. I hope you feel better soon!

weswerx
08-29-2008, 01:41 AM
Well Bret, it sounds like your sickness is actually a blessing. Sorry to hear that you were ill and had to go through all of that, but I am extremely grateful that you will be able to be away from the storm and with Sherrie. You guys take care!
Prayers and :pixie: to all in the path of this storm.
Just remember to stay calm and don't panic.

ElenitaB
08-29-2008, 03:19 AM
You are all in my thoughts and prayers (most of my family from NOLA relocated to Houston before Katrina, but my aunt and uncle lost houses to previous hurricanes and then finally relocated to Slidell).

I'd call the hotels directly to confirm the reservations.

I'll be praying for everyone down there and fervishly hope that the weathermen are wrong on this one.

merlinmagic4
08-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Prayers and :pixie: for all of you!

SgtTigger, I am so glad you will be with your wife and I hope you are feeling much better soon.

JanetMegan
08-29-2008, 08:25 AM
If anyone needs a place to go and feels like driving to Atlanta I have some extra beds here ;)

Be safe everyone, hopefully they are wrong about this one!

jwildflower1981
08-29-2008, 11:51 AM
I booked 3 rooms at a pet friendly hotel in Birmingham, Al yesterday. It is at Country Hearth Inn and Suites. As of last night they said they still had rooms. I just wanted to pass that on to anyone in our area who was still looking.
Good Luck to all!

BrerGnat
08-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Just wanted to pass along my well wishes and prayers to everyone in the path of this storm as well. This is something that our country just doesn't need right now (or ever, really, but especially now when we're in such a bad economic state already).

I hope all our Intercot friends fare well and stay safe.

Pixie dust to all of you, your homes, and your well being as we wait and see what happens. :pixie:

Strmchsr
08-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Bret, you stay safe! I'll be headed your way as soon as the all clear is given, too.

Any of you coming to Birmingham to escape the storm and need advice on getting around, things to do, etc, just PM me and I'll be glad to help you out.

DisneyOtaku
08-29-2008, 06:35 PM
I live in Lafayette, LA and it's pretty bad here. It took my mom an hour to find gas to fill up her car today--all the gas stations are out. Stores are running low on supplies--and my job still wants me to come in! @_@ (I *seriously* doubt people will want to see movies during the storm).

My dad commutes to Shreveport every week for his job, so my family is evacuating there. I'm praying for everyone staying though.

trennedy
08-29-2008, 06:35 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the path of Gustav. Stay strong!!

daparish
08-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Hi Bret,
Just wondering what most of the people in your area doing? I know manadtory evacuation begans tomorrow. My family is coming to my house tomorrow and we will make a decision some time tomorrow if we will be leaving for Andalusia, Alabama on Sunday. I am soooooo nervous. I am more sad for my family. I can't believe they are facing loosing everything again. It is really hard not to just sit here and cry and cry but that will not solve anything. None of my neighbors have left yet. Most are saying they are staying. I am leaning towards leaving. I would rather be safe than sorry. I am really scared of 130 mph winds. Plus, the idea of being in a house with boarded windows and no electricty sounds pretty miserable. Take care and God bless.

SgtTigger
08-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi Bret,
Just wondering what most of the people in your area doing? I know manadtory evacuation begans tomorrow.

Most are going to leave....... most have not yet....
Yes tomorrow is manadtory..... i leave tomorrow arond 9 am... I hope traffic is not to bad........ My partner left today and took him 4 hours to get to hammond........ dont want that tomorrow.....

Hi Bret,

I am leaning towards leaving. I would rather be safe than sorry. I am really scared of 130 mph winds. Plus, the idea of being in a house with boarded windows and no electricty sounds pretty miserable. Take care and God bless.

Yes it is miserable.......

When Katrina was coming I posted what I was felling so Ill do it again.... who knows it might help with how I fell........

I am at my house. Windows are boarded up not much light coming in. This is the first time I am leaving..... I have mixed emotions about that.... While I am not well enough to stay and I understand that I really don't want to leave the people I work with. 3 years ago today I was facing the biggest event in my life. I was in my office at this time as the storm was bearing down. This time I will be an hour and a half away with maybe radio communications to hear what is going on. I talked to a bunch of the guys and most want to stay. Why??? because that is what we do.... and you know what is going on when you are here.... I can say that plans are for a lot more resources to be on the ground here and ready to go. We are going to have military here with equipment to help out.
right now Sherrie and I have picked up stuff and got it up stairs. Is that a good thing???? I am not sure.... It has been a lot of work in the heat and I am exhausted. have made way to many trips up the stairs and with all the work we did today at work I am just whipped.....
We are packing clothes. I need 3 different bags. One for my moms one for work if I come back and one at the evacuation center..... Plus I have all my SWAT gear in my truck. WOW that is a lot of bags......

So tomorrow is another day and we shall see what it brings.....

I will try to type as I can not to sure when I am going to have the Internet or when I can get to it.......

till then thanks for the thoughts.... I do really enjoy hearing from you all and hope we get to say that this was just a drill and nothing has happened........

Tinkermom
08-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Most are going to leave....... most have not yet....
Yes tomorrow is manadtory..... i leave tomorrow arond 9 am... I hope traffic is not to bad........ My partner left today and took him 4 hours to get to hammond........ dont want that tomorrow.....

Yes it is miserable.......

When Katrina was coming I posted what I was felling so Ill do it again.... who knows it might help with how I fell........

I am at my house. Windows are boarded up not much light coming in. This is the first time I am leaving..... I have mixed emotions about that.... While I am not well enough to stay and I understand that I really don't want to leave the people I work with. 3 years ago today I was facing the biggest event in my life. I was in my office at this time as the storm was bearing down. This time I will be an hour and a half away with maybe radio communications to hear what is going on. I talked to a bunch of the guys and most want to stay. Why??? because that is what we do.... and you know what is going on when you are here.... I can say that plans are for a lot more resources to be on the ground here and ready to go. We are going to have military here with equipment to help out.
right now Sherrie and I have picked up stuff and got it up stairs. Is that a good thing???? I am not sure.... It has been a lot of work in the heat and I am exhausted. have made way to many trips up the stairs and with all the work we did today at work I am just whipped.....
We are packing clothes. I need 3 different bags. One for my moms one for work if I come back and one at the evacuation center..... Plus I have all my SWAT gear in my truck. WOW that is a lot of bags......

So tomorrow is another day and we shall see what it brings.....

I will try to type as I can not to sure when I am going to have the Internet or when I can get to it.......

till then thanks for the thoughts.... I do really enjoy hearing from you all and hope we get to say that this was just a drill and nothing has happened........

Bret & Sherrie and the others along the Gulf Coast,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all! I pray that as Bret says this all turns out to be "just a drill". Please keep us updated as you can.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-29-2008, 10:09 PM
It's not looking good. I looked at the high pressure systems that will push the storm away and it wasn't encouraging. The models are now focused on our areas more than before.
MississippiDisneyFreak I am not familiar with McHenry??? My parents lived in Pearlington, Ms and had moved up to Baton Rouge before the storm. Their old house had an elevation of 17 feet and had 5 feet of water on the second floor.
We lived on the Rigolets in Camille and lost our house when I was young. Once is enough for me.
I remember when Betsy went straight up the Ms. River and hit BR pretty hard too.
It all depends on who is East of the storm:(
I have been looking for D batteries for 2 days.
I know BR got hit hard in Andrew. I was in Slidell then.
IF anyone needs a place I'm here in BR -- we also take animals. Lori and Bret (you know Sherrie and Koda are welcome here too) the door is open.
When I was young my grandfather was a State Trooper (troop B) in New Orleans. I know how frightening it can be when your loved ones are out helping others. Bret we are with you in spirit and our prayers are with you to keep you safe. :pixie:
Lori, so sorry they canceled your reservations. The holiday Inn threw us out after we lost our house in Camille. They needed room for telephone repairmen :unsure:
Thanks to all the states that have already offered help. It's incredible that states have already offered help with buses to help evacuate the people of N.O., ambulance to move the sick and elderly etc. :thumbsup:

McHenry is in Stone County, south of Hattiesburg and about 25 miles north of Gulfport....I actually work in Biloxi which is about a 30 minute drive from home....found out they will have us working through the storm four of us dispatchers and two officers will be 24 hours...we will be about 20 miles north of the coast in a little brick building with generator backup and running water...we won't flood but need pixie dust to get us through the winds. Pray for my mom and son as they leave tomorrow to evacuate to my sisters four hours north of here in Starkville

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Also forgot to ask, they have our officers staying and working through the storm as well, this is the three coastal counties of MS...a lot of people don't realize that Katrina actually hit Mississippi dead on...one of our officers worked for Waveland PD the little city that was totally leveled...he, several other officers and dispatchers were in the PD when it hit and the storm surge passed over the top of the PD....they had to swim out and cling to trees until the water subsided and I will not repeat the horrible things he said he saw...it would break your heart....another of our officers and his family rode it out in their attic on back bay when waters reached the ceiling...several more lost their entire homes and loved ones...please send pixie dust as I know this is hard for them too...We didn't think we would have a place to dispatch from as our building is still undergoing repairs...our bottom floor is still gutted...they are sending us (dispatchers and two officers) to a fish hatchery about 20 miles north of the coast to run an emergency headquarters...at least we'll have emergency power...

I saw Louisiana's governor on tv a little while ago, I think he's pretty sharp....I'm betting NO will fare a little better this time...I hope so anyway, I have a cousin who lives in the Garden District, so just pray for all of us....

TXTigger
08-29-2008, 11:01 PM
My in-laws live in the NO area and my parents live in Houston. My father-in-law, who is a firefighter, is part of a team that will be the first out and the first back into the area. My thoughts and prayers are with all that live on the Gulf Coast. I hope that this won't get as bad as they are predicting.

offwego
08-30-2008, 10:58 AM
I too am hoping this storm doesn't have the impact they think it will have. To all of you in the path of it stay safe. I can't imagine how awful it must be to be doing this all over again.

Strmchsr
08-30-2008, 12:04 PM
It looks like all of the timetables are moved up a tad Gustav. Tropical storm force winds are expected to reach the southern sections of Louisiana before daybreak Monday and the New Orleans area by 7 a.m. Strong tropical storm force winds will reach the coast by midmorning and move inland. Hurricane force winds should reach the coast by early afternoon and continue for several hours over parishes about 60 miles right of the track and 40 miles left of the track. Top winds should be around 120-125 mph (strong category three.) Landfall should occur around 9-10 p.m. on the coast near New Iberia. From what you guys are posting here and what I'm hearing from my EMA and FEMA friends, folks in Louisiana appear to be taking this storm very seriously. That’s good, because it is nothing to be trifled with.

This is based on the currrent NHC track. As we know…the forecast error at 60 hours is substantial, so the cone of uncertainty extends as far east at Pascagoula and as far west as Houston.

daparish
08-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Just an update. My family from St. Bernard Parish is staying with us in Metairie. They were under mandatory evacuation. I have a two bedroom house (only one room is used as a bedroom and the other an office) and we have 15 people here. We also have a large den, living room and dining room so there is plenty of floor space. We plan on leaving for Alabama in the morning. Hopefully everyone can find the hotel and no one encounters any car trouble. I have one brother how may stay in St. Bernard and my brother in law will be staying in Metairie. I will probably post again once we get in Alabama.

mickeys_princess_mom
08-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Just an update. My family from St. Bernard Parish is staying with us in Metairie. They were under mandatory evacuation. I have a two bedroom house (only one room is used as a bedroom and the other an office) and we have 15 people here. We also have a large den, living room and dining room so there is plenty of floor space. We plan on leaving for Alabama in the morning. Hopefully everyone can find the hotel and no one encounters any car trouble. I have one brother how may stay in St. Bernard and my brother in law will be staying in Metairie. I will probably post again once we get in Alabama.
Have a safe trip. Hope everything goes well, and you get to come home soon.

conorsmom2000
08-30-2008, 07:02 PM
I too am hoping this storm doesn't have the impact they think it will have. To all of you in the path of it stay safe. I can't imagine how awful it must be to be doing this all over again.
My sentiments exactly. All those in the path of Gustav are in my thoughts and prayers. Be careful, stay safe and we'll be hoping with all our heart everything turns out okay.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Update: I 55 traffic is closed for southbound traffic....and I10 EB in Louisiana and Mississippi are extremely backed up....if you need to leave and haven't already...please go now...this storm now is a CAT 4 storm and predicted to be a CAT 5 tomorrow....our neighbors in South Central and Western Lousiana now seem the most likely to receive a direct hit....we will start working from our emergency location tomorrow. Lets hope Hanna doesn't hold together so we don't have to do this again next week....:(

MsMin
08-31-2008, 01:16 AM
Hey all, just catching up with everyone. Today was very different w/ a big football game in town and people evacuationing. I had friends who went to the game in route to their evacuation destination. Today has been different.
Electronic bill boards across town are flashing emergency warnings. My dd's bf just came to pick up my dd and he said the interstates have cleared up here. The I-10-I-12 split is very slow but overall traffic is moving better than earlier.
My son will be staying with me along w/ his friend and his wife. The guys just left to head back to New Orleans b/c they forgot a suitcase. I'm sure it will take several hours before they return. Fortunately I was unable to talk my niece into leaving a lower parish. (Houma for those familiar). Her mom couldn't get her to leave but my dd and I convinced her and she left 4 hours ago and we still haven't heard from her. It normally takes about 90 min.
Last I heard Contra flow will begin at 4:am.
Many of the latest models show we may get the direct hit here in Baton Rouge. I'm not afraid of storm surge here, as I consider this the most dangerous threat one can plan to avoid. Our concerns will be tornadoes more than anything.
Tomorrow we will remove everything from the yard that can become a projectile in a strong wind.
I talked to Bret earlier and had a PM from Lori. I hope Angel is back home. I'm between all of them.
TV never does a great job at explaining the extent of the destruction in a storm. They tend to focus on a city or two neglecting to relay to others that even if I get hit head on w/ the storm our friends to the East will have a considerable impact w/ high tides, tornadoes and winds and our friends to the west will have the lighter side but experience high winds and possibly heavy rains. In Katrina I saw devastation that reached 150 miles across two states so these prayers and :pixie: have far to travel.
MSDisneyFreak: My mom lived in Pearlington, I used to live in Slidell and my sister lived in Bay St. Louis and then Diamond Head... We may even know some of the same people... stay safe.

daparish
08-31-2008, 04:29 AM
It's 3:00 am and we are getting ready to leave. I can not began to express how I feel. Have you ever felt so helpless that it is hard to breath? Twice is my life I have felt this horrible. The first was watching my brother die and not being able to do anything in the world to change things and for Katrina. It is not looking good. Brett and Sherrie I am so sorry. I am hearing horrible reports of what will be happening in your parish if it stays on this track. My brother is still in the parish and he was told by a policeman that they are expecting worse flooding than Katrina. My brother is leaving at day break. Beth - please, please, please be careful. You are going to get 100+ winds. I will text you to check on you because as with Katrina phones will be out but texting will probably work. Angel - please be safe if you are staying. We still are so unsure of the exact track. Everyone, please, please pray for those in Gustav's path. The mayor of New Orleans held a press conference last night and he said this is the mother of all storms and NO will see worse flooding than Katrina. He said, "If you are staying be sure to have an ax in your attick". I am not sure when I will be able to post agan but God bless us all.

d_m_n_n
08-31-2008, 08:06 AM
All those who will be/are feeling the effects of Gustav are in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

Continued prayers and :pixie: for everyone in the path of this storm.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-31-2008, 11:14 AM
MsMin and DParish and all Louisiana Intercotees, god bless I will be praying for you along with the MS Coast.... They are doing a mandatory evacuation of everyone south of I10 in Hancock County over here I'm thinking because the path shifted slightly back east towards Houma... I was at our temp location this morning and we are officially set up at the emergency location...I am getting to come home do some laundry, eat and take a nap and then I will be packing my overnight bag and heading up there....everyone post when its over to let us know how you fared.:fingers::unsure:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Hey all, just catching up with everyone. Today was very different w/ a big football game in town and people evacuationing. I had friends who went to the game in route to their evacuation destination. Today has been different.
Electronic bill boards across town are flashing emergency warnings. My dd's bf just came to pick up my dd and he said the interstates have cleared up here. The I-10-I-12 split is very slow but overall traffic is moving better than earlier.
My son will be staying with me along w/ his friend and his wife. The guys just left to head back to New Orleans b/c they forgot a suitcase. I'm sure it will take several hours before they return. Fortunately I was unable to talk my niece into leaving a lower parish. (Houma for those familiar). Her mom couldn't get her to leave but my dd and I convinced her and she left 4 hours ago and we still haven't heard from her. It normally takes about 90 min.
Last I heard Contra flow will begin at 4:am.
Many of the latest models show we may get the direct hit here in Baton Rouge. I'm not afraid of storm surge here, as I consider this the most dangerous threat one can plan to avoid. Our concerns will be tornadoes more than anything.
Tomorrow we will remove everything from the yard that can become a projectile in a strong wind.
I talked to Bret earlier and had a PM from Lori. I hope Angel is back home. I'm between all of them.
TV never does a great job at explaining the extent of the destruction in a storm. They tend to focus on a city or two neglecting to relay to others that even if I get hit head on w/ the storm our friends to the East will have a considerable impact w/ high tides, tornadoes and winds and our friends to the west will have the lighter side but experience high winds and possibly heavy rains. In Katrina I saw devastation that reached 150 miles across two states so these prayers and :pixie: have far to travel.
MSDisneyFreak: My mom lived in Pearlington, I used to live in Slidell and my sister lived in Bay St. Louis and then Diamond Head... We may even know some of the same people... stay safe.

I'm willing to bet your mom knows my boss, Rusty, who used to live in Pearlington and now lives in Diamondhead....

Here we go again...
08-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Wow, this is like Deja Vu... I remember just over 3 years ago talking to Bret on the boards and he mentioned how eerie it was in his house with everything boarded up and that he had one more piece of wood to put on the attic window... I remember sending him a PM asking him to ride by my MIL's house after it was over to see if her house was okay since she was with us...
Then our world turned upside down.

It was days before we heard from Sherrie and found out that Bret was okay. Well, not really okay, but alive and as well as could be expected.

I have a lot of respect for those like Bret that are in law enforcement, fire, rescue, military... because, like he said, "it is what you do".
We live in a world that everyone is free to make their own choices about their career. Those of you that have made choices that put you in harms way, I salute you. I do not have what it takes to do those things... so I thank God that you do.

As for us, we are staying. It looks like Houma will take the direct hit with the New Orleans area getting it really bad too. As large as this storm is, all of Mississippi will get it bad...

Take care everyone. I will try to keep in touch eith everyone by text message since I know we have about a 100% chance of losing electricity.

After this is over I hope to have a meet at the Wilderness Lodge Chalmette very soon.

MsMin
08-31-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm willing to bet your mom knows my boss, Rusty, who used to live in Pearlington and now lives in Diamondhead....

I bet you may know my ex-BIL his name is Henry and had a law office in BSL and lives in Diamondhead. I know it's a small world.
Take care too. I remember how hard Pearlington was hit in Katrina since the storm when right up the Pearl River. I used to live on the West Pearl in Slidell.
:pixie: for all. They announced today that we will not have shelters set up in our city. They will be hosting all the first responders.
I'll keep in touch until we lose power.

mickeys_princess_mom
08-31-2008, 01:32 PM

I'm doing that right now--it seems 'they' keep moving up the time a little. Straight up--am scared, but trying to stay busy. Have reorganized cabinets and giving my house the cleaning of it's 'life'. Also trying to be a cheerleader for my own grown children and make sure everybody is here or somewhere else safe. Ready to get it over with. Way too much anticipation time. (Thank goodness, I know.) We're in the direct line, but are not on the coast itself. My heart goes out to those people. THANKS SO MUCH for all the good wishes coming through these boards. The "deja vu" thing is fierce. You cannot imagine how comforting it is to hear from all of you around the world thinking about the people of Louisiana. It means a lot.:hug:

mickeys_princess_mom
08-31-2008, 01:38 PM
. I will text you to check on you because as with Katrina phones will be out but texting will probably work.

Sorry, I don't know how to multi-quote, so am posting twice, here. This is a good point about the texting; just heard this from a friend. The lack of communication made it harder during Katrina. Just wanted to amplify this bit of info for others who might not know this.
Bret, I'm like you--we're boarding up the windows late tonight, cause I hate this part about being closed in, too. Special prayers for your family from us.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-31-2008, 05:41 PM
I bet you may know my ex-BIL his name is Henry and had a law office in BSL and lives in Diamondhead. I know it's a small world.
Take care too. I remember how hard Pearlington was hit in Katrina since the storm when right up the Pearl River. I used to live on the West Pearl in Slidell.
:pixie: for all. They announced today that we will not have shelters set up in our city. They will be hosting all the first responders.
I'll keep in touch until we lose power.

I'm not really sure....I know of an attorney named Henry who's last name begins with D? I just know of him, not know him personally Having the first responders there might be a good thing...we are starting to get the feeder t-storms so this will be my last post for a few days....take care

Here we go again...
08-31-2008, 08:42 PM
This is sick, but I just had this thought...
I was thinking about the HUGE meet we are going to have at Bret's when this is all over. :secret: he does not know yet

Anyway, I was thinking... burnt bar-b-que is better than nothing at all. :chef::fireman:
For those of you that do not know what I am talking about... well wait till the meet at Bret's.
:funny::trio:

BronxTigger
08-31-2008, 09:15 PM
I was thinking about the HUGE meet we are going to have at Bret's when this is all over. :secret: he does not know yet

Anyway, I was thinking... burnt bar-b-que is better than nothing at all. :chef::fireman:
For those of you that do not know what I am talking about... well wait till the meet at Bret's.

Can I come? I don't have a yard, so no BBQ here. "Flame-broiled" from Burger King doesn't count.

Piglet822
08-31-2008, 09:16 PM

Count me in, I'll bring the fire extinguishers :D

I'm keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers and will be keeping a close eye on Gustav.
For two reasons, once to make sure y'all are ok, and two, I'm supposed to travel to New Orleans next weekend (job related) with a group to see Tampa Bay and the New Orleans
Saints. The trip is secondary to y'all's safety but the selfish part of me would sure to love to see you guys :D

crazypoohbear
08-31-2008, 09:18 PM
I have been watching the storm form and have been thinking of all of you and praying that this storm passes everyone by.
I have been thinking of Bret mostly and I know this does not sound right but I'm really glad that you were sick and have to leave.
I'm sure that as an officer you have mixed emotions about it but I believe that God is putting you where you need to be right now.
Please everyone stay safe.
I have been hoping that this storm is like the blizzard warnings in the North east... when it is "over predicted" it usually fizzles. I pray that this is what happens with this hurricane.
God Speed

BronxTigger
08-31-2008, 09:19 PM
Count me in, I'll bring the fire extinguishers :D

I'm keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers and will be keeping a close eye on Gustav.
For two reasons, once to make sure y'all are ok, and two, I'm supposed to travel to New Orleans next weekend (job related) with a group to see Tampa Bay and the New Orleans
Saints. The trip is secondary to y'all's safety but the selfish part of me would sure to love to see you guys :D

How is a football game "job-related"?

I need a new career. I never get to go anywhere even remotely exciting. One time, no, TWICE I got to go to another elementary school for a meeting.

MsMin
08-31-2008, 09:56 PM
We are just getting our first feeder band. We have a tornado warning as a funnel cloud has been spotted just 15 miles from here. :(
That's what scares me. It isn't supposed to get bad until Midnight. I am about 50 miles North of Morgan City. The tornado right now is in Gonzales.
I'm sure Bret is happy to be with Sherrie for this storm and he certainly deserves it b/c he has done his share of service. Bret is about 45 miles East of me right now.
I talked to my brother who is an environmental engineer on the committee to rebuild. He says they expect flooding and this time the west bank (of the Ms.river)is also at risk, it was spared in Katrina.

Yes, all we need a meet. If we can't have it at Bret maybe we can meet in BR. oops another weather bulletin... more later

weswerx
08-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Meet at Brett's?!?!?! Sounds like a plan, or a possible clean up party. Count me in! Well, depending on whatever happens at work and if I can get away.

We actually boarded up our store windows tonight and our store south of I-10 is closed until this is over, due to a mandatory evacuation. My store is about 1/2 mile north of I-10, lucky me. Most of my staff are wanting to leave, but still haven't decided yet.
This is the quiet before the storm, so we just have to wait now.

Everyone be careful and check in when you can.

barnaby
08-31-2008, 10:09 PM
Thoughts and prayers to all those that could be affected.

Looks like it weakened a little to Cat 3 and that the storm surge will be less than Katrina, so at least there is some good news.

Be safe and God speed.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-31-2008, 10:12 PM
We've had some bad weather come through, a few areas already flooded earlier, but then strangely everything calmed for now....I know its temporary....we are in our temporary dispatch location right now...the officers are going through the harbors making sure nobody's trying to ride it out on their boat and sure enough, we just got one saying he won't leave his boat:mad: I'll check in from time to time and see how everyone is La is faring....

SgtTigger
08-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi

The weather is comming as beth said we gpt the first band a little while ago......

My Dept. shipped out officers about
6 pm and they got up here and settled in. I am back at my moms with sherrie and yes I am sure we will loose power tonigt......
I cant wait for this to be over......... thanks to everyone who has thought of me.....

MississippiDisneyFreak... keep your self safe.........

everyone keep good thoughts....... and yes maybe we will have to have a meet at the Chalmette Wilderness lodge........

wdwgrl377
08-31-2008, 10:56 PM
This is like deja vu again...my grandma is in the hospital again during another hurricane. My Grandpa has left with my Aunt and Uncle to go to my cousins home and my dad stayed at his job at NASA.

This time my Grandma is worse off than she was for Katrina and the hospital she is at is in a better location than the last one she was in 3 years ago for Katrina. I'm really concerned about her only b/c she can't remember that much anymore and she has no family around her. She is in good care with Nurses/Dr's - I'd be more concerned if she was not in a hospital due to her medical needs, but still the thought of her being their with no familiar faces concerns me.

I'm just believing and praying all families are safe and that this storm passes through quickly.

kakn7294
08-31-2008, 11:24 PM
Lori, Beth, Bret, and Angel - stay safe! You know you would all be welcome here (four-legged family members too) if you wanted to travel this far north. I'd be happy to squeeze you in somewhere just to know you would be safe. I'll be watching the reports and praying that it's not as bad as they say it's going to be.

BronxTigger
09-01-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm heading off to sleep. I hope that everything will still be right with the world when I wake up.

I'm going to keep praying. They said it was going to be a category 5...right now it's still a 3. I'm going to believe that is due to the prayers coming from all over the country.

Stay safe tonight...and tomorrow...
Keep us posted.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Hi

The weather is comming as beth said we gpt the first band a little while ago......

My Dept. shipped out officers about
6 pm and they got up here and settled in. I am back at my moms with sherrie and yes I am sure we will loose power tonigt......
I cant wait for this to be over......... thanks to everyone who has thought of me.....

MississippiDisneyFreak... keep your self safe.........

everyone keep good thoughts....... and yes maybe we will have to have a meet at the Chalmette Wilderness lodge........

Thanks you too....they're saying if we don't get hit too bad, they may send some of our personnel over that way to help out;)

Here we go again...
09-01-2008, 01:10 AM
It is a little after midnight here and I don't know if it is nerves or what... but I am not sleepy at all. We just saw a warning for Baton Rouge and I sent Beth a text. I don't know if she is sleeping or did not get it...
I am thinking about you... be safe.

MsMin
09-01-2008, 01:28 AM
I'm up we just watched the "ugly dachshund" Needed a break from the news and weather channel.
Angel I didn't hear my phone...
It's calm here again. It was really errie for awhile. Don't know if I want to take a nap. We slept late knowing we could be up all night.
They had to shut Walmart down here at 10am. People had trashed it and apparently people were causing a stir b/c the police came and shut it down.
Thanks all for the prayers, I do believe they did help. It isn't as bad as expected but they are saying it could be like Andrew was here.
more later
-Angel my phone doesn't say you sent a text... maybe the lines are jammed right now.. it can get slow... ;) unless it was you and someone else got the text.
Jeanne I got your msg too. I didn't get it right away b/c we were in the yard all day securing everything, putting garbage cans in the garage, plants in the pool room and cars secured. I know it doesn't sound like much at my house and my moms... we have 7 dogs and 1 cat here in fact more dogs than people and 7 cars... no we don't let the animals drive.. we had to make sure the cars were not near a tree that may fall etc.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-01-2008, 02:03 AM
We have four dispatchers, plus one of the dispatcher's fiancee, our receptionist and her husband and three kids at our temporary location....one of the officers will be staying here after patrols end at 0300 hours...we are enjoying the calm before the storm right now....found about four boats with people on them riding it out in the harbors....not smart, but we can't make them leave...only one county did a mandatory evacuation....It was nice to get here and find out internet is still up and running so I'll post through the night...everyone's asleep but me, I volunteered for late shift....I had that nap this afternoon.

Here we go again...
09-01-2008, 02:22 AM
Bobby keeps trying to get me to go to bed. I am just wide awake. I think it is because I have another "family member" here.
My DD met the sweetest little girl on the family cruise we took last month. They spent the entire time attached at the hip. She lives in New Orleans... Lakeside, which took the hard hit from the levee break in Katrina. Anyway, we have been trying to keep them together as much as possible because not only is she great, she has family problems at home.
Her dad passed away when she was little and her mom has had a rough time with her and her sister. Thank God for Grandma who is always there for her and keeps her father's memory alive.

We went to visit her in New Orleans Friday night and decided she would ride to Lafayette with us. Her grandmother would pick her up on the way north to Marksville after she finished packing and getting her terminally ill husband loaded up and ready to go.
Well, things being the way they are, they ended up having to go the other way because Marksville is just north of us and a Shelter in Place... I do not know why.
So, we have another person to worry about.
Grandma feels like we were sent from heaven to help her because she has too much on her plate right now.
The little girl's mom is realizing how much she loves her and is freaking out... She was getting ready to let her go live with the grandmother.
Maybe good things will come of this.

All I know is that she is a great kid and a blessing to have here for Taylor.
But, I am a little more nervous than normal.

I am going to try to sleep now...

Ed
09-01-2008, 06:35 AM
To all our friends in the potentially impacted areas, Godspeed and best wishes. You all have been through so much in the last couple of years (hard to believe Katrina was three years ago!), and are facing yet another trial of your strength and determination. Praying for you all.

If anybody's headed to Central FL, I've got space available. Just say the word.

Stay safe.

And Bret... special prayers for you and your fellow officers and the local firefighters. It takes a special kind of person to serve during emergencies such as this. Stay safe, and don't forget to take care of yourselves as well as the people you protect and serve.

pogo
09-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Bret, Angel, Beth and everyone else in that area..... I'm glad to see you were posting last night while I tried to sleep. You are all still in my heart and Patti and I said many prayers together last night on your behalf. God bless you as you ride this storm out.

MsMin
09-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Hey all, we still have power!! Winds are getting pretty strong here but it hasn't quiet made landfall here. I have to make coffee before we do lose power.
My niece has been upset b/c her bf refused to leave Houma at the last minute. :( His dad refused to leave so he stayed to help him. Houma is closer to the gulf, below the MS river.
Nothing serious going on here right now. I guess we are still a couple hours away from more serious winds. Definitively really windy out there. My lawn isn't even filled with branches yet so it's not that bad..
more later... All take care..

Here we go again...
09-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Bret, Angel, Beth and everyone else in that area..... I'm glad to see you were posting last night while I tried to sleep. You are all still in my heart and Patti and I said many prayers together last night on your behalf. God bless you as you ride this storm out.

But did you invite us to go stay with you like Ed did?:(
It is okay, having the thoughts and prayers are what we all need now.
I sleplt a whopping 2 hours last night... I stayed up and watched Big Brother on the computer since they only had Gustav coverage on every channel.

pogo
09-01-2008, 08:58 AM
But did you invite us to go stay with you like Ed did?:(
It is okay, having the thoughts and prayers are what we all need now.
I sleplt a whopping 2 hours last night... I stayed up and watched Big Brother on the computer since they only had Gustav coverage on every channel.

I didn't invite you to come because of the distance...... :( My door is always open to you.... any time, silly.

I'm glad you checked in this morning. I've heard from Beth and Jamie. I'm really looking forward to hearing from Bret. :D

luvdiznee
09-01-2008, 09:19 AM
:grouphug:Thinking of you all.

MsMin
09-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Bret may be working. He is at Southeastern LA Univ. so he could be away from a computer.
Things are picking up here. BIG gusts. They said they expect the power to start flickering here soon.

BronxTigger
09-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Good Morning all (or is it yall?)!

I just now woke up. This is the best I've slept in about 2 weeks, so I'm very thankful for that.

I'm glad to see most of you still able to check in and still have power! (MsMin- I love The Ugly Dachshund!)

Angel...what a story about that little girl!

I was dozing in and out while watching the Today Show...and they've got 3 people out in the middle of this storm (WHY?!?). Ann is in Houma...I think she said she was going inside because she was hurting. Al is on Canal Street (@ Camp? is that a street?) in New Orleans and he can barely stand up. I forget who the third person is...but he is somewhere in nola too. :shake:

Okay all yous...stay safe! :grouphug:

MsMin
09-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Hey the lights did blink a couple times
Looks like it's starting to come in at Houma a little SE of us so the worst is yet to come.

BronxTigger
09-01-2008, 11:04 AM
From MNSBC:

BREAKING NEWS: Water overtopping Industrial Canal barrier in New Orleans, NBC reports

:crying:

Not sure how bad it is; it has topped on the west side of the canal. Honestly, I'm not sure what the Industrial Canal IS, but it sounds bad. :(

Here we go again...
09-01-2008, 11:31 AM
I didn't invite you to come because of the distance...... :( My door is always open to you.... any time, silly.

I'm glad you checked in this morning. I've heard from Beth and Jamie. I'm really looking forward to hearing from Bret. :D
I know I am invited.... you said so when the work was being done on the resort. I just wanted to hear it AGAIN.

Good Morning all (or is it yall?)!

Yall.... yep, definatly Yall.

Hey the lights did blink a couple times
Looks like it's starting to come in at Houma a little SE of us so the worst is yet to come.
Shannon has lost electricity in New Iberia. It is getting rough now.

From MNSBC:

BREAKING NEWS: Water overtopping Industrial Canal barrier in New Orleans, NBC reports

:crying:

Not sure how bad it is; it has topped on the west side of the canal. Honestly, I'm not sure what the Industrial Canal IS, but it sounds bad. :(

Yes, I am watching the barge slam into the levee now... not good

AdventurerKim
09-01-2008, 11:40 AM
We evacuated to Baton Rouge from Metairie/Kenner, and things in BR are fine. Our lights went out a little while ago for like 2 minutes and came back. It's been windy and rainy, but nothing severe. My dad stayed in Metairie and still has power; he said it's the same there as here so hopefully this won't be a severe a hit as once thought. We haven't heard about any severe damage as of yet or flooding. I'm keeping m fingers crossed for all of us, especially so we can make to WDW in less than two weeks.

BronxTigger
09-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Yall.... yep, definatly Yall.

Yes, I am watching the barge slam into the levee now... not good

I just texted MsMin. I made sure to use "yall". Here, plural you is "yous".

A barge slammed into a levee? :crying:

:grouphug:

MsMin
09-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Someone in BR did just lose their home. :( A tree fell and cut right threw it.
I don't like that water licking at the levee.. I wonder if the storm surge has peaked there? We haven't gotten the worse yet here in BR it's below us yet toward Houma.
My sister just lost her chimney... it just fell off the roof but she doesn't know yet if rain water will come in the house.
I took some pictures but the wind is picking up now. I will try to get them uploaded before we lose power.

MsMin
09-01-2008, 01:15 PM
My sister just lost power, mine blinked and I lost my post :unsure:
Backyard (http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3049760460083799695VmHGZR)about 2 hours ago. Winds are picking up here but still out the NE so the center hasn't past here yet.

RedSoxFan
09-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Thinking of everyone having to deal with this terrible hurricane. Stay safe.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-01-2008, 01:24 PM
We lost our generator...I'm working on wireless and battery packs...some trees down, a tornado came through about 1 mile from here at 530 am....many of our roads now impassable...we have a car underwater but its unsafe to check for occupants at this time...reports of a couple of people in flood zones who didn't evacuate like ordered and now they are trapped in their homes with water rising....I hope they are okay ...Isee the eye is starting to travel on land so hopefully it will be over soon

BronxTigger
09-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Wow MsMin...lots of rain. You have a nice backyard, btw. That fountain is nice. Thanks for sharing that with us. How is your sister's house? Is the fireplace taking in water?

Y'all stay safe out there! (had to throw that "y'all" in for Angel...did I use it correctly?)

BronxTigger
09-01-2008, 01:26 PM
We lost our generator...I'm working on wireless and battery packs...some trees down, a tornado came through about 1 mile from here at 530 am....many of our roads now impassable...we have a car underwater but its unsafe to check for occupants at this time...reports of a couple of people in flood zones who didn't evacuate like ordered and now they are trapped in their homes with water rising....I hope they are okay ...Isee the eye is starting to travel on land so hopefully it will be over soon

That is awful. :(

Ed
09-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Anybody heard from our good folks in the storm area in the last few hours?

BronxTigger
09-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Yes. It's really windy in Baton Rouge; lots of trees coming down. MsMin is still okay but has no power.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Good news here, when things started calming down the officers and Homeland Security EOC officials starting going around to boats and houses in the flood zones, everyone seems to be okay there were a couple of residents we were worried about earlier and they are okay:)....the only real issue I know of is one of the occupants on a shrimp boat had a heart attack.:(..not sure of his current condition but the EMTs were able to get to him....tomorrow all our rivers will crest and now the big flood issues start...looks like MOST people took the advice of the officials and evacuated....

I'm glad you folks in New Orleans did okay, I'd like to hear from some of you guys in Morgan City to see if you are okay.....

I am at home and my house did great...the power was even on and my family comes home tomorrow, I missed them so much!:blush: I also get to sleep in my own bed tonight!!!! Tomorrow will be 9 days on without a full day off....Thanks so much for everyone sending pixie dust and prayers...I'll be sending some west:pixie: I also ask for pixie dust and prayers for my mother who is supposed to have reconstructive surgery Wednesday....she had a double masectomy in June and we weren't sure if it would be cancelled because of Gustav but since it is to be done in Hattiesburg, things are going along as planned. I guess I'm veering off subject so everyone just be safe.

IloveDisney71
09-01-2008, 08:06 PM
My thoughts are with everyone in Gustav's path. I live on the Gulf Coast in AL and have been glued to the t.v. all day. Thankfully in my area, we've just been experiencing wind and rain but in other areas near me they are dealing with the storm surge. My brother evacuated here from New Orleans but thinks his house in Mid City is okay so far. He's talked with friends who stayed in the French Quarter and they've been dealing with a lot of wind and rain, but are doing okay so far. I HATE that the gulf coast region has been hit again so soon while SO many people are STILL trying to rebuild after Katrina. I don't think most of the country realizes how bad some areas still are even 3 years after Katrina. Please keep praying for everyone in Gustav's path, he's still going thru the region. :(

Piglet822
09-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Anybody heard from our good folks in the storm area in the last few hours?

I did, Ed. Everyone is ok although there is some minor damage to Bret's mom's place. Beth's sister had some damage to her chimney (earlier post) but haven't heard anything since and Angel text messaged earlier that they were safe as well.

conorsmom2000
09-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks to everyone for keeping the updates coming - our I'COT friends in Gustav's path have been in my thoughts all day. I pray everyone continues to stay safe!

weswerx
09-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I hope everyone is still doing well.
We are still getting some rain from this thing, but nothing serious here in Mobile, AL.
But the way some of these people are acting, you'd swear this storm was going to turn around and come straight for Mobile. I can understand that coming from the people leaving LA, but the locals here think it's the apocolypse. These people here just can't appreciate the blessing they've been given by only getting some rain and wind.

Everyone stay safe.
:pixie: and prayers on the way!

daparish
09-01-2008, 10:20 PM
We are in Andalusia, Alabama. It took us 21 hours to get here (usually 3.5 hours). For the locals it took me 5 hours to get from Metairie to the twin span. I think the stress of being in grid lock traffic for so long took it's toll on lots of people, especialy the elderly. I really think I will take my chances at home next time because I don't think I can handle the process again. My niece's car broke down along the way and we had to squeeze them all in. I was praying that my other nieces car would make it because we already had people sitting on top of each other. We were really worried we would have to face the feeder bands and bad weather on the road because we were stuck for so long. Thank God everyone fared better than was predicted.

kakn7294
09-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Lori, I'm so glad to hear from you! I'm glad you and all other Intercotees are safe! I've been very worried about everyone all day. What a terrible ordeal you've all had to go through - I can't even imagine!

pianobabe
09-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I am so glad we are hearing from most everyone. My thoughts and prayers have been going out to all Y'ALL (that's the TRUE Southern way!!). Please keep us posted.

Here we go again...
09-02-2008, 03:49 AM
Hey guys, we are fine here. Lots of huge branches down and no elecrticity. If anyone wants to come help with the clean up, we will be looking for you!

Has anyone heard from Denise, Buzzandwoddysmom? I can not get though to her by phone.

BronxTigger
09-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Hey guys, we are fine here. Lots of huge branches down and no elecrticity. If anyone wants to come help with the clean up, we will be looking for you!

Glad to hear you are fine. :D

And it looks like the levees held up overnight? Is it really true!?! :party:

I'm off to work today; hopefully we will hear from the others sometime during the day.

Here we go again...
09-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Yes, it looks like the levees held.
At one point a barge was slamming into one that devided the upper and lower 9th ward. Water did get so deep that it was going over the top, but once they got the pumps going it was fine. All of the news so far is good... which can be bad.

Katrrina was so devastating because they evacuated for a hurricane right before Katrina that did no damage. That made everyone think that they were pushed out of the city for no reason... that is why so many people stayed for Katrina.

You know, I love my husband. He set up my computer so I could run it off the generator. What he forgot to hook up to the generator was the COFFEE!!!! :mad: Should I go beat him on the head with the computer?

Here we go again...
09-02-2008, 08:48 AM
I just realized that Beth (msmin) has not posted. She made it through just fine, Lots of cleaning up too.... and I bet she does not have coffee either.

There was one tragedy though. A couple from the Abbeville area went to Baton Rouge to get away from the weather. Beth sent me a text saying some trees fell in her neighborhood and killed someone. The next newscast was to say that the family that evacuated the weather died from a falling tree in Baton Rouge. :(
They were in their 70's.

Nana
09-02-2008, 09:10 PM
I have not heard from Denise. I am waiting on an email or a post. I am hoping her and Kevin are ok.
Glad to hear everyone so far is doing good. Now, let's hunker down for the rest of the tropical unrest.

crazypoohbear
09-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Hoping everyone is okay. Waiting to hear from Y'all.
I'm glad that it wasn't as bad as predicted but I'm sure when you are riding it out it doesn't seem like it is "small"
Please stay safe and dry

buzznwoodysmom
09-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Becky and Angel,

I am fine. We left town, went vacationing in northern Alabama/Chatanooga TN. We had a great time and just got back tonight. Our house made it through just fine, it is just like I left it. My wonderful neighbor even picked up all the branches in our front yard. I was shocked to come home tonight to find my front yard spotless. According to my neighbors our electricity never even blinked and we were out of cable for a couple of hours.

Kevin made it through as well. He is still in New Orleans. He spent the night of the hurricane in the court house in Gretna. Today he was at the convention center right by the riverwalk. It was very weird to hear him say that everything looked good because I remember watching the news for Katrina and there were hundreds, if not thousands, of people waiting for transportation out of the city right where he was today. Tomorrow he should be headed to Thibodeau, that is where his unit is located. As far as he knows they will be handing out water, food and tarps to people in need. He has been gone for almost a week and has no idea when he'll get to come home, but he is alright so that's all that matters right now. Keep him in your prayers, please.

Glad to hear everyone else made it through fine.

mickeys_princess_mom
09-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Hey, everybody!! Yay---we got power back this afternoon after three days. We got more action this time than Katrina, here! More wind, and it still hasn't totally stopped raining. Tree fell across the power lines, and yard is full of limbs. Couldn't communicate with my son and daughters for a day and a half--that was the worst. Tried to go to their houses and couldn't get there because of blocked roads. Today is much better. All are fine, and I have hugged them! No school till Monday. I know there are lots still without power. I feel for you, and I know many are just waiting to go home. Hope you get to soon.

SgtTigger
09-04-2008, 12:37 PM
I am here...............

At my office on Generator and can you believe we have the internet.....

No power in the parish at all........ they are saying the weekend at best.
sherrie and i are at the house with a generator. we have a window ac unit for at night. house is ok some damage but could be worse...... cant be on long to much to do......

later....................

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I am here...............

At my office on Generator and can you believe we have the internet.....

No power in the parish at all........ they are saying the weekend at best.
sherrie and i are at the house with a generator. we have a window ac unit for at night. house is ok some damage but could be worse...... cant be on long to much to do......

later....................

Glad things are not too bad....let's hope the others go away, far far away

tinkerbell04
09-04-2008, 02:38 PM
I am glad to hear from people and that it seems everyone is doing ok! Still keeping everyone in my prayers.

weswerx
09-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Glad to hear everyone is ok and it sounds like the damage is minimal so far.
Thanks for checking in.

Here we go again...
09-05-2008, 04:49 AM
Good morning everyone.
I was wondering if anyone has heard from Jimmy (kajunking). I am pretty sure that he lives right where gustav hit Louisiana. I have not heard from anyone in the Houma area at all... HooBerry has not been on the boards either.

After the storm we had a lot of tree limbs down and quite a mess to deal with. With the lelp of some very close friends we were able to finish the clean up in 1 day. We are one of the few people in our area that actually trims our trees every year... yes, we pay lots of money to have them trimmed back by a tree company. Not just any tree company, a company that works to preserve old oaks. Since our oaks are very mature we know the dangers of them falling or dropping limbs on power lines. Well, yesterday when I left for work the tree trimming companies were out in full force cutting every tree near a power line. Imagine my surprise when I got home and found my tree gouged of all branches anywhere near a line... I do not mean hanging on a line... I mean a nice "C" shape cut out of the tree. And to make matters worse, they dropped all of the limbs in the yard and left them there. Now we have to spend another day cleaning our yard. :mad:
All of this was done so they could restore power to our neighborhood though....

So tonight I finally got electricity! I was so excited we went out to dinner to celebrate. It was nice having a generator, but a fan blowing hot, humid, 90 degree air around is not always a good thing. It was so damp in here that my carpet started buckling... gross. My next major investment will be a window unit AC.

While I was at dinner, Beth sent me a picture text. I could tell it was a picture of empty shelves, but could not figure out what it was all about. I called her and she told me that they went and stood in line at Walmart to get a few things. After standing in line to get in the door that is what they walked into. It was not funny, but I could not stop laughing at her. When I tell you the shelves were empty, I mean EMPTY. I am sure she was able to find a can of potted meat or something. :ack:

Well. we survived another storm. We are very busy at the pharmacy with people having a hard time getting medications transferred. After Katrina a special 1 time charge was put in place for those in a bind. Nothing like that has been done for anyone yet. While I know that this hurricane is not as devistating, there are thousands of people that are still unable to go home. Those people need medications that are tied up in pharmacies that are closed and we can not get in touch with a lot of doctors. I feel so bad for these people. Most are middle income and running out of money fast.

This is not over. Many of our Intercot family still needs prayers. And, with these 2 new storms approaching.... who know what is next.

daparish
09-05-2008, 10:29 AM
I am at work. I just received power late last night but no internet service. We are still having to be very conservative with water supply because the electricity to the sewage system is still down and they are worried about it backing up into houses. Hopefully it should be fixed today. Post again when I can.

SgtTigger
09-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Power power all around me but none for me yet.....l

last night all the streets around me came on but not mine.....

So still on generator....... to top it off we had a SWAT roll last night at 2 am.........

all fine but lost sleep................

Angel you said this was not as bad as Katrina but in turms of wind it is far worse....... more people have been affected by this than Katrina.... the power grid has far more damage than every before........

Here we go again...
09-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Angel you said this was not as bad as Katrina but in turms of wind it is far worse....... more people have been affected by this than Katrina.... the power grid has far more damage than every before........

You are so right. I was listening to the news tonight and heard that Beth will be without electricity for 14-21 days. :(

I spoke with her a little while ago... bad news
Her mom got overheated and fell. She broke her arm and has to have surgery. Please say a prayer for MsMin... she is going through a lot right now.

crazypoohbear
09-06-2008, 12:11 PM
You are so right. I was listening to the news tonight and heard that Beth will be without electricity for 14-21 days. :(

Her mom got overheated and fell. She broke her arm and has to have surgery. Please say a prayer for MsMin... she is going through a lot right now.

How awful for her and her mom. As if they don't have enough going on. I hope that she has a speedy recovery.
I can't even imagine going without electric for 2 or 3 weeks. especially down there with the heat and humidity. I pray that everyone gets their lives back in order quickly. Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers up here.

BronxTigger
09-06-2008, 11:06 PM

I just spoke with MsMin. She is at her DD's tonight with her mother because her DD has a/c and power. They are cooling off and getting her mom hydrated again.

She's really tired of having to wait in line for everything like ice, gas for the generator, etc.

But she does say hello to everybody!

(And to Ike: Scram!)

daparish
09-07-2008, 07:21 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Beth's mom. We have our power for two days. I went to Super Walmart yesterday and the line was wrapped around outside of the building. I was able to find a locally owned grocery store that was much better to get a few things. My mom also fell yesterday and we spent the day at the hospital. I just made reservations for my mom to evacuate again for Ike but I am sitting this one out at home. Lets pray Ike goes away!!

mickeys_princess_mom
09-07-2008, 10:08 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Beth's mom. We have our power for two days. I went to Super Walmart yesterday and the line was wrapped around outside of the building. I was able to find a locally owned grocery store that was much better to get a few things. My mom also fell yesterday and we spent the day at the hospital. I just made reservations for my mom to evacuate again for Ike but I am sitting this one out at home. Lets pray Ike goes away!!
Sending lots of :pixie: to both your moms! Hope things get better for you soon. To quote a radio host from many years ago in our area, "Let's all go down to 'the lake' and throw rocks at the hurricane!"....Take a hike, Ike!

Piglet822
09-08-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm sending truckloads of :pixie: to y'all and while I wish no harm to our Texas friends, I am praying that Ike does not towards LA.
I just got back from New Orleans this morning, a quickie weekend trip. We drove a group from Disney up to the Tampa/New Orleans game.
New Orleans was so empty. People had only just started coming back a few days before and while things down on Bourbon Street seemed to be hopping, the rest of the city was fairly empty. Most businesses were closed. Very sad. I sure hope you guys don't get hit again!!!
On the way back to Orlando we passed close to 50 buses headed up that way to assist with evacs. Lets hope this storm shifts its path and those buses aren't needed.

SgtTigger
09-08-2008, 01:33 PM
I just got back from New Orleans this morning, a quickie weekend trip. We drove a group from Disney up to the Tampa/New Orleans game.

Jeanne I am so sorry I missed you..... :(
I did not get off of work till 8:30 and was worn out...... I could not go anywhere.......

Now for a gripe........

The American Red Cross.........

In a disaster they are the one everyone gives money to. Why because they help people.... well I did not see the red cross much after Katrina... they did have a lady that keep making use fill out forms but that is all... they did give me a phone card.... folks we did not have phones or power for weeks what is a phone card going to do for me?????

Now gustav..... one week after and I have not seen the red cross...... they are just getting in to the parish next to us Plaquemines.... what took so long.... these people still dont have power and need meals..... more they need cold water...... now on the other hand the Salvation Army was here on tuesday the day after the storm...... guess what they had meals and cold water for folks that had nothing..... the fridges had to be cleand out so people had no food..... I just think folks need to know what is happening down here.... Baton rouge still has no power and plenty of other places dont also.... it could be 14 more days till everyone is back on line...... that also is if Ike does not come by for a visit..........
ok I am done......

as for me I am ok I have power and am making repairs as we can... cant get cable phone or internet at the house but that is ok for now....... I just miss INTERCOT....

Ed
09-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Hey, Bret ! Good to "see" you. :hi:

I know how miserable it was here during and after the trio of 'canes in 2004, but our damage locally was nowhere near what you all have been through over the last 3 years.

I know that the Red Cross has been overextended in the last couple of years, but there's really no excuse for them just now getting into Plaquemines. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me like they've lost their original dedication to getting the job done quickly and efficiently. You mentioned them having you fill out forms repeatedly; sounds like the bureaucratic priorities have overtaken the humanitarian priorities. Hopefully more folks will donate their money, time and efforts to more locally-based efforts.

Again, I know you're swamped taking care of your communities, but don't forget to take some time to tend to yourselves!

And next trip to WDW.... the :beer: & :marg: are on me!

SgtTigger
09-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Hey, Bret ! Good to "see" you. :hi:

Hello to you too.......

Hopefully more folks will donate their money, time and efforts to more locally-based efforts.

you know what..... I am not a big church person but the tuesday after the storm a church from mobile alabama drove down here and servered smoked chicken to anyone who came by....... no donations no nothin just to help....... what more could you ask for from people...... that is the kind of folks we need more of in this world........

And next trip to WDW.... the :beer: & :marg: are on me!
thanks really thanks....... we are doing good and i even have internet at my house tonight.........

Here we go again...
09-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Hey guys, I just got a text from Beth... she has electricity!!!! Look for her to be posting soon.

Her mom is having surgery wednesday, so please send some prayers and pixie dust her way. She is the sweetest lady.

Now, about Bret's remark about the Red Cross...
My father has forbidden me from donating money to them... ever, for any reason. He has been this way as long as I can remember.
According to dad, when he was in the Air Force and they needed the red cross the most they ever got from them was a cup of coffee. No food, no clothes, no blankets... nothing but coffee. And then they acted like they should be thankful they got anything.

My father has always been a big supporter of any company that helps in times of need. But do not EVER say anything about the Red Cross in front of him, it really gets him going.

Piglet822
09-08-2008, 11:10 PM
I did not get off of work till 8:30 and was worn out...... I could not go anywhere.......

Bret, I totally understand. Believe me. If I wasn't so tired from the drive up you'd have had a big yellow Mears bus parked in front of your house because I'd have driven up there :D
We were beat, we napped a bit after we arrived then met up with a driver that used to work for Mears but now works for another company. Anyway :blush:
I was in bed and asleep by 8:30 that night :sleepin:

MsMin
09-09-2008, 01:24 AM
I'm back and so happy to be part of the world again. Yes, even today the map said I was in the 14-21 day bracket and a small portion near me was getting power. They are bringing power to the businesses first but my house does back up to a small shopping center so maybe that's why we fell into that area?? I'm happy :clappy: my sister doesn't have power yet.
Officials say they have already removed over 9,000 trees and have reports of over 400 houses with trees on them. AS of today we still had two water treatment plants down so sewer has been backing up places. Worse than Stitch's chili cheese hot dog. :sick:
My mom is still dizzy and her surgery for her right arm is scheduled for wed, she has a badly broken radius. Some of you may remember that she cut the tendon on her thumb on her left hand and is still recuperating with that so right now both hands have little functioning. :(

How awful for her and her mom. As if they don't have enough going on. I hope that she has a speedy recovery.
I can't even imagine going without electric for 2 or 3 weeks. especially down there with the heat and humidity. I pray that everyone gets their lives back in order quickly. Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers up here.
:hug: thanks so much, I'm sure it helped get our power back 1-2wks before scheduled.

Sending lots of :pixie: to both your moms! Hope things get better for you soon. To quote a radio host from many years ago in our area, "Let's all go down to 'the lake' and throw rocks at the hurricane!"....Take a hike, Ike!
Thank you, someone just sent me a Ike-go Ike-go away....

Now for a gripe........

The American Red Cross.........

In a disaster they are the one everyone gives money to. Why because they help people.... well I did not see the red cross much after Katrina... they did have a lady that keep making use fill out forms but that is all... they did give me a phone card.... folks we did not have phones or power for weeks what is a phone card going to do for me?????

Now gustav..... one week after and I have not seen the red cross...... they are just getting in to the parish next to us Plaquemines.... what took so long.... these people still dont have power and need meals..... more they need cold water...... now on the other hand the Salvation Army was here on tuesday the day after the storm...... guess what they had meals and cold water for folks that had nothing..... the fridges had to be cleand out so people had no food..... I just think folks need to know what is happening down here.... Baton rouge still has no power and plenty of other places dont also.... it could be 14 more days till everyone is back on line...... that also is if Ike does not come by for a visit..........
ok I am done......

as for me I am ok I have power and am making repairs as we can... cant get cable phone or internet at the house but that is ok for now....... I just miss INTERCOT....

I can't believe you got power before me and we haven't seen the red cross either.

Hey guys, I just got a text from Beth... she has electricity!!!! Look for her to be posting soon.

Her mom is having surgery wednesday, so please send some prayers and pixie dust her way. She is the sweetest lady.

Now, about Bret's remark about the Red Cross...
My father has forbidden me from donating money to them... ever, for any reason. He has been this way as long as I can remember.
According to dad, when he was in the Air Force and they needed the red cross the most they ever got from them was a cup of coffee. No food, no clothes, no blankets... nothing but coffee. And then they acted like they should be thankful they got anything.

My father has always been a big supporter of any company that helps in times of need. But do not EVER say anything about the Red Cross in front of him, it really gets him going.
Looking forward to coffee tomorrow :yay:
I don't support the red cross either. When we lost our house in Camille they stopped with trucks of water but didn't give us any (no one did) they said they just came to look at the damage and left :mad:) Won't forget here either....

BronxTigger
09-09-2008, 06:21 AM
So glad to see you back MsMin!

:freeze: <you with your a/c!

crazypoohbear
09-12-2008, 01:34 PM
:yay:
I don't support the red cross either. When we lost our house in Camille they stopped with trucks of water but didn't give us any (no one did) they said they just came to look at the damage and left :mad:) Won't forget here either....

I hope everything is going well with your mom. Tell her that the "yanks" are praying for her! :D
I have heard this about the red cross as well. I had a neighbor years ago who gave birth to her son during the Vietnam war, she asked the red cross to notify her husband that their son had been born. The red cross refused to relay such a "trivial" message. The husband was killed a few days later!:( He never knew that his son was born.
My father use to say the red cross was only good for stale donuts and bad coffee in WWII.
Also, the red cross keeps a VERY HIGH percentage of dontations for "administrative costs" translation paying their salaries.