PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Boma Fans...

poohshoneybeejr
08-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Hello Disney People....My DH and I are trying to decide if we want to try Boma for dinner. Any thoughts? We will have our 2 yr DS too. We are nervous about the fact that it is african food...I've never had african food. Any thoughts are welcome!

SBETigg
08-27-2008, 04:54 PM
There are some dishes that are very American in case you aren't into the African flavors, like chicken fingers, mac n cheese, etc. We tried it and loved it. My daughter (15) is our pickiest eater and now she's the biggest Boma fan. My advice would be to go, start with the amazing soups, and move on from there. Keep to small portions. There's so much to try and you can always go back for more of what you like best.

hotelhound
08-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Boma is the one restaurant we visit on each trip to Disney. Everything is delicious and there is something for everyone. It has even been my pre-race dinner before the last 2 Disney marathons when I'm trying to be really picky about the fuel I put in my body (distance runners know what I mean).

Anthony007
08-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Boma use to be our favourite but I've notice it decline as of late. Its worth trying, but be sure to go on a rib night! They rock.

ThanxForNoticin
08-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Absolutely give it a try. Always an excellent meal and an excellent experience.

tink'72
08-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Boma use to be our favourite but I've notice it decline as of late. Its worth trying, but be sure to go on a rib night! They rock.

You know years ago Boma was our absolute favorite place to eat. We would sometimes eat there twice in 1 trip. About 2 years ago we ate at Boma's and were extremely disappointed and felt the same way you do. During our last trip (8/08) we didn't have any plans for dinner and we happened to be at AKL and gave Boma another try and it was FANTASTIC! Not sure if a few years ago they were expierencing a slump or what but now it's back to what it once was..a fantastic place to eat!

Pop Centurion
08-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Boma is one of our favorite and must do places to eat. Don't be discouraged by the African influenced flavors. Nothing is over spicy or odd at all. Many of the items with strange names are actually things we've all eaten before only cooked differently with added ingredients. As said, there are children's items like chicken fingers, mac & cheese, etc, so don't worry about that. The desert pod has an awesome selection so save room even though you'll want to keep eating the main dinner items. ;)

joonyer
08-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Be sure to save some room for dessert. Zebra Domes, YUM! :tasty:

"DoYouHaveYourParkPass?"
08-28-2008, 01:39 AM
:thumbsup:Boma is without a doubt my favorite dining spot at DW. I know it seems like an odd thing to say about a buffet restaurant, but I could likely make a meal on the various soups offered there each night. Several of them are amazing! Even the picky eaters in our group enjoy Boma. There is something for everyone and the meat pod is a big hit with our guys. The ribs and salmon are especially good. And the desserts, as mentioned in another post, are wonderful.
Okay, now I am having Boma withdrawal......

jonahbear2006
08-28-2008, 02:49 AM
I agree that they have so many dishes, about 45, there is no way you wont find stuff you like. My husband and my daughter are both very picky eaters and they both loved boma; we all did. I booked a ressie for breakfast AND for dinner this time. We haven't had breakfast there before, so that will be something new for us this time. My kids loved the desserts and so did I; although some of them have a bit of alcohol in them, so careful which ones you feed to the kids, though I don't think it is enough to do anything to you, I had love of those alcohol desserts and it sure didnt do anything to me.

anneb
08-28-2008, 12:02 PM
I encouraged a group of "senior citizen" family members - definitely NOT adventuresome eaters - to try BOMA a couple of years ago, based on recommendations from this site, and they all loved it. I was a bit apprehensive about how they would react, but it was a huge hit. I was able to try it with them too in February, and while I am a much more adventurous diner, I liked it too. You will not be stuck with with the mac and cheese.

"SULLEY "RULES!!
08-28-2008, 08:59 PM
My husband and I "LOVE" Bomas. We tried it for our first time last year. And we're going back for some more yummy food on November 26th. Can't wait. The food is very good. Lots of unique dishes. Our favorite was the Seafood Stew. I hade three bowls of it. They have lots of meats, rices, dips, salads, soups etc.......all with an African touch
And the desserts, you have to try the zebra domes, they are incrediable. Hopefully you'll a great experience as we did.:thumbsup:

Next trip: November24th thru December 5th
( 11 year anniversary )

bc002k
08-28-2008, 09:36 PM
It's totally Americanized versions of "African food". Some of the dishes are a tad bit more exotic than your typical buffet line, but you really don't need an adventurous palate at all to enjoy it..

It's a must-do for dining IMO.

LebelJD
08-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Add me to the list of those who consider Boma a must visit every trip. Dinner is great, and we also like their breakfast buffet and go at least once per trip - which is unusual because we never eat breakfast at home or anywhere else at WDW. We get the last breakfast reservation time so we can sleep in a bit. ;)

I recommended it to a friend's family with two teenaged picky eaters, and they loved it too.

cinderella crazy
08-30-2008, 01:54 PM
We go every trip. We've taken both of our children ages 4 and 2. They love it! There's something for everyone. We're even thinking about going for breakfast and dinner this trip. Love it!

Mrs Bus Driver
08-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Boma use to be our favorite but I've notice it decline as of late. Its worth trying, but be sure to go on a rib night! They rock.
Rib Night? :eat: When is rib night? :tasty:

poohshoneybeejr
08-31-2008, 08:17 AM
THanks everyone for the comments...we have made an ADR at Boma for our last night there!

fanofdisney
09-01-2008, 11:24 AM
I would love to know about rib night too. Anyone have more info on this:confused:

Tink's Mom
09-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Boma is our familys favorite! I also have a picky eater, and she loves it. Actualy, she asked me just today if we were going on our upcoming trip. On certain nights they have this great creamy soup with chicken and apples. You have to try it. It is the best soup I have ever had, and I am not usually big on soups. I think it was called Mulligatany, but I am not sure.

Belle_0717
09-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Boma is great. My DH and I are treating our entire family to dinner on our next trip. there is something for everyone. The desserts are fantastic.

threeh
09-02-2008, 08:59 AM
THanks everyone for the comments...we have made an ADR at Boma for our last night there!

mmmm.....enjoy!!!
My family and I love Boma.:thumbsup:

IloveDisney71
09-02-2008, 11:10 AM
I was with a group of 8 with ages ranging from 17 to 70 and our group included some picky eaters. Everyone loved Boma. There was something for everyone. There are so many food choices that you're sure to find things you'll enjoy. I tried a little sample of a lot of different things. Most of what I tried, I really liked. There were only a few things that I didn't care for. The soups are great (especially the butternut squash soup!) and don't forget to save room for dessert! I highly recommend the zebra domes and the upside-down pineapple cheesecake, if they have it.

lawgirl
09-04-2008, 11:27 AM
We love Boma, and eat there at least once every trip. Although there are some African dishes, they are very mild and delicious. There are plenty of non-African dishes to fill your plates.

All of the African dishes we tried were really yummy, and nothing too far removed from our American diet.

One of our favorite restaurants back home is an Ethiopian place...they serve alot of vegetables and spicy beef.

I think you should definitely give Boma a try. We love it!

IamBelle
09-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Boma is one of the best buffets I have ever experienced! I have been there twice, and hoping to go back next trip. If you are nervous about african food, they have some food that isn't as scary, like prime rib, couscous, potatoes, potato bacon soup, chicken corn chowder, and various salads. But, the african food is really tasty too, I liked everthing that I put on my plate. The watermelon rind salad is good it is sweet with a little spice to it. I also liked the fufu, it is squash with some spice (idk exactly) for dessert, my favorite is the zebra domes and the chocolate mousse. try to get an ADR on your trip, I think you will enjoy it!