PDA

View Full Version : Cat Pee

Lizzie
08-27-2008, 04:01 PM
I have a question. My cat has been peeing on our entertainment center on the front door.

So he pees on that and it goes on the carpet. Any suggestions on how to get the smell out and to stop him from doing it.

Thanks getting a little frustrated with him right now.

murphy1
08-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Cat pee is the worst!! I don't think you can get it out, I have seen stuff advertised, but I don't know about it. luckily none of mine have peed here, but I moved into one of my apartments in Florida and the previous owners had a cat that peed in the apt and I demanded it to be fixed, they just ended up moving me to another one (a better one that I liked more lucky for me). Cat pee will even penetrate wood and other surfaces, so hopefully it hasn't gotten to your carpet, b/c it will even go through that and to the surface below believe it or not.

LauraF
08-27-2008, 04:24 PM
If you can get it fast enough, you can get it all out. If you let it sit, it will soak into the carpet or floor.

I highly recommend Nature's Miracle cleaner (though most enzyme cleaners work well too) along with a black light to get it all out. Believe it or not, cat pee fluoresces in UV, so the black light will show you where else it might be. The enzyme cleaner will break it down, along with discouraging Kitty from making this a permanent spot for his business.

Mousemates
08-27-2008, 04:35 PM
well, when I saw the thread on the sidebar of Intercots homepage...I thought that can't be what I think it is...but it was and is.

As a previous poster noted, if you don't get it quick it seems to really set in...if you have one of those little Bissel (or brand of your choice) carpet cleaners, hit it real good several times (at least two or three times more than you think it needs to get as much of the residual smell out as you can) using a carpet cleaner which specifically mentions animal urine in its description.

While difficult to get out it can be done...thou in a piece of rental property I once had to pull up both the carpet and strip it down to the concrete (and then use an alternating cleansing of bleach and old brown bottle lysol) to get the smell completely out. But I pretty guarantee you situation was not a bad as that one. Good luck.

disneygeek84
08-27-2008, 04:41 PM
I would try Simple Solutions. You can get it at most pet stores and it works GREAT! We used it for my dog when he was house training but there's a cat on the bottle, too. It'll get the smell out of your carpet pad if it's soaked in pretty well. You can even mix it in your Bissel or other type of carpet cleaner, too.

It actually works so well on spots that I've used it for other spots around the house, lol.

laprana
08-27-2008, 05:19 PM
My dad had this problem several years ago when his cat started peeing on the kitchen counter. Apparently he was mad when my dad and stepmom left for vacations or on the weekends, and decided this was the best way he could get revenge! :thedolls: One thing that worked for my dad was to lay sheets of tin foil on the counter tops. Not sure why this worked exactly, but it did keep the cat from peeing there! Maybe you could try that for a few days on your entertainment center? Hope this helps!

kakn7294
08-27-2008, 05:36 PM
As an aside, do you know why he's started peeing there in the first place? You might want to think about when he started doing it and see if there were any changes in his life that precipitated it. Even things we wouldn't think about, changes in litter brand, changing cleaning products, etc, can set them off. Another thing to consider is that he has an underlying medical problem - a trip to the vet might be in order. Good luck!

BTW, we like Spot Shot.

Itchy
08-27-2008, 06:39 PM
We have had cats that started peeing on the floor, wall, and furniture. It turned out that he had a urinary tract infection. This is something that can occur with any cat. It can be cured with proper medication from a vet and change of diet.

Good luck, I would not trade my Kitty for anything.:blush:

Mickey91
08-27-2008, 06:45 PM
If this is a male cat, have you had him neutered? If not, he is spraying his territory. Once they start, there isn't anything that can get rid of the odor, at least to the cat. He will continue to spray the same area. The spray has an even worse smell and is stonger than just pee. Neutering is the best solution as very few cats spray after being neutered.

If he is already neutered, then he may be angry with you over something. Not sure how to fix that.:confused:

Good luck!:mickey:

thrillme
08-27-2008, 06:55 PM
I've had good luck with I "think" it's called Natures Miracle (it available at Pet Stores like Pet's Mart and Petco). Be sure to use a black light too it will highlight any signs still in. Be sure to put enough of this stuff on. IF you can...Move the entertainment center and spray under it. Lift the carpet if possible to and spray under it. Cat Pee is liquid and it can easily get under the entertainment center. That's probably why nothing seems to be working.

Be sure to be careful with the different "cleaners". Many will get the smell out to YOU but not to your cat.

Now if you want to get really really mad :mad: just have to where you just get married and your cat gets jealous and marks YOU. He had never done that before and he only did it ONCE. GRRR.

trennedy
08-27-2008, 07:02 PM
I have a special needs kitty who has to be on daily meds for life for continual UTIs:cat:.
If cat's can smell the urine in something, they will continue to go there. We were told not to used anything ammonia based. They will continue to go there to cover up that smell. We have tried Nature's Miracle and quite a few others.
What has worked best for us was after the meds had cleared up his UTI, we started using a litter called "Cat Attract". It's amazing. There is something in it that makes cats want to use it. Since switching to it, we haven't had any problems.
Good luck!

tink'72
08-27-2008, 07:24 PM
I have a special needs kitty who has to be on daily meds for life for continual UTIs:cat:.
If cat's can smell the urine in something, they will continue to go there. We were told not to used anything ammonia based. They will continue to go there to cover up that smell. We have tried Nature's Miracle and quite a few others.
What has worked best for us was after the meds had cleared up his UTI, we started using a litter called "Cat Attract". It's amazing. There is something in it that makes cats want to use it. Since switching to it, we haven't had any problems.
Good luck!

I too have a special needs kitty. She wasn't always. About 4 months ago she started peeing in my sons closet and I was getting furious because it stinks. I took her to the vet and they found crystals in her urine. Which according the vet is very very painful. So he put her on perscription food. Hills diet CD I was so skeptical how could food stop her from peeing all over the place. Well sure enough it did and she's a total different kitty now. I'm so glad I stepped away from being furious for a few minutes and found out what was wrong.

As for the smell we just steam cleaned until our hearts were content and it's finally come out of the rug. If you ask your vet they can give you the name of something. The did tell me also nothing with amonia.
Good luck!

DisneyDog
08-27-2008, 07:32 PM
We recently had to redecorate an entire room because our cat ruined 3 chairs. We also had a bioclean company come out and clean the carpet and the other remaining chair. We had only had that cat for a month. I think he had a problem with our other cat (both male). We had to re-home the newer cat. I couldn't have that going on in my house with my 5 year old child. I was devastated...but on a happier note, I love my new furniture so much more.

Like someone else asked, did anything change in your house? Have you moved the litter box or bought a different brand of litter? Seriously, though, once that smell is there, you aren't going to get rid of it. Nature's Miracle isn't going to do the job. It will work well for dog accidents, but cat urine is another thing altogether. You should consider getting rid of the offensive furniture and having a cleaner come out and clean the area before getting something new.

DisneyWhirled
08-27-2008, 10:19 PM
My male kitty started peeing on our bed while we were on vacation....

Imagine our surprise when we pull the sheets down to climb in after travelling and find our sheets and matress soaked!

We thought kitty was mad at us, but it kept happening. Kitty had had UTI's before so I called the vet. They treated him for a UTI and we brought him home. Soon it was happening again, despite the meds. Back to the vet we went. After blood tests, they determined that Tigger had diabetes!!

We give him an insulin shot once a day, and now close the doors to our bedrooms. Thank goodness that worked!

We got a brand new mattress out of the deal, too. A very expensive treatment this was!!

Mousemates
08-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Mickey91 Neutering is the best solution as very few cats spray after being neutered.

If he is already neutered, then he may be angry with you over something.

If I was a neutered cat, the neutering just might be the reason I was angry. :D

Mickey91
08-28-2008, 12:02 AM
If I was a neutered cat, the neutering just might be the reason I was angry. :D
:funny: :rotfl:

meldan98
08-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Ok, so my first response is...get rid of the cat...sorry, I'm so not a cat person. :blush:

I'm sure that's not a option, so my second response is take it to the vet to make sure he's okay. If he is okay, then try and figure out what he could be upset about.

My friend had a cat that got really annoyed she started dating the man she eventually married. The cat began peeing in her bed and leaving little presents on the rug right in front of the door every time she went out on a date. Cat's are tempermental little creatures. Best of luck.

BrerGnat
08-28-2008, 01:01 AM
One word: Prozac.

Seriously.

My sister has a cat that she's had for 7 years. For 6 of those years, he had a SERIOUS peeing problem. He would spray EVERYTHING...mainly carpets, walls, and furniture. He was an indoor cat, because he was a stray cat and he was de-clawed as a kitten when my sister found him (he was only like 6 months old when he was abandoned, but he had already been de-clawed). So, he was not allowed to be outdoors. However, he was constantly taunted by the neighborhood cats that would come sit outside on the fence in our yard. It was maddening for him, apparently, so he would pee everywhere.

Anyway, then she moved, and he stopped peeing for a bit, since there were no cats. But then, her boyfriend moved in, and apparently he did not like him, so he started peeing again.

Long story short, the vet suggested "cat prozac" and since he's been taking it, he's STOPPED peeing (spraying...he still pees, in a litter box, obviously), as a negative behavior. Look into it...it's probably a behavioral/medical issue.

There is that stuff "Urine Gone" that is sold online. It's supposed to work on cat urine stains/smell. You could try it out.

RAIDER
08-28-2008, 04:12 AM
Ive found that those kettle type steam cleaners work very ...:thumbsup:

DizneyRox
08-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Add me to the re-home solution list. Works everytime!

MNNHFLTX
08-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Add me to the re-home solution list. Works everytime!Trouble is, who is going to want to adopt a cat that has that problem? If there's an situational trigger, like other pets that are stressing the cat out, then finding a new home might work. Otherwise probably not.

A lot of pets, just like children, come with physical and behavioral issues. All a pet owner can do is try to deal with them as responsibly as they can. We have a male neutered cat who has had this problem before and the only thing that worked for him was modifying his environment. Restricting his access to the spot he had previously marked (by keeping a bedroom door closed) and putting him in the "kitty resort" (the laundry room) periodically to encourage him to do his thing in the litter box. As for the cat pee itself, the best thing you can do is get the carpeting professionally cleaned. They will go down to the pad and even treat the wood. The enzymatic cleaners are good for short-term fix, but if you've been having this problem for a while, chances are you need to have a major cleaning done to eliminate the odor. After that if you can't restrict the cat from this room, then I would put a barrier in front of the entertainment center to keep it away from its favorite spot. Hopefully this will break the repetitive behavior.

Good luck!

brownie
08-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Clean with vinegar and then using baking soda on the area overnight (include the entertainment center in the cleaning.) The enzymatic cleaners work pretty well, too. The key is to get all the odor gone.

I would make a trip to the vet to check for any medical issues and get those taken care of.

You might try putting the cat's food where it's peeing. I've read they don't like to go by where their food is.

You'll probably want to get the carpet professionally cleaned once you stop the problem.

We are down to 1 cat now. We had to get rid of one last April; she kept peeing on the same place on the couch despite having her treated for the urinary tract issues more than once.

Lizzie
08-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks for all your responces now we have some options.

Its a behavior problem. He does it to get attention.

We are pregnant with our third and my husband has to do the cat litter now so it doesn't happen as often as it should and he is getting less attention. We have had him on the kitty prozac also at certain times of his life his is a very opinionated cat.

Not sure if we will have another cat after this one.

DizneyRox
08-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Its a behavior problem. He does it to get attention.
Not sure if we will have another cat after this one.
I made that call long ago, cats are too much of a pain, their attitude, behaviors, etc. I like a little return on my investment, and cats just don't provide enough return. Dogs on the other hand... Well there's a reason they call them mans best friend.

Mousefever
08-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Hmmmm...I thought this was a thread on how to get rid of cat urine odor. I think cats versus dogs would be more appropriate in another thread. I'm not sure that the cat lovers responding to this thread want to hear about why some people don't like cats.

I've had success with Nature's Miracle. In our case, we learned that we had to uncover one of our covered litter box, so that our more timid cat would use it. Good luck with the kitty!

Amy

:dory:

Carol
08-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Let's stay on topic, folks.

There are products that you spray to detour cats and dogs from soiling favorite areas.

We have 3 office cats at the Animal Hospital where I work and one (spayed healthy female was urinating inside the fireplace. We sprayed it with this special formula and it has worked.

I'll see what it is called when I go to work this morning and get back to you. I'm sure it's available on-line too.

Hull-onian
09-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Not to get too much off the subject, but.
My kitty Valentino threw-up all over my brand new comforter. A Laura Ashley, no less. It was really rank.:sick: We washed it in everything you could think of, and could not get the odor out. Long story short-we purchased a new comforter, and kept kitty.:mickey:

My apologies to anyone who was snacking while reading this.

RenDuran
09-06-2008, 04:12 PM
my husband has to do the cat litter now so it doesn't happen as often as it should.

Well, that's probably why your cat started going elsewhere to pee. Cats don't like a dirty litter box. And then unless you get all the urine odor out of an area, he/she's just going to keep going there.

Try white vinegar to clean. It's cheap and works well. I had a cat that used to "mark" the house because of misplaced aggression...we had several feral cats outside. The vinegar really worked.