PDA

View Full Version : co-pilot the monorail

laurie816
08-27-2008, 02:00 PM
My son would love to co-pilot the monorail. Does anyone have a strategy to make this possible? We will be staying at AKL 9/16-9/23/08. Thanks!

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
08-27-2008, 02:08 PM
We have gotten this pooortunity several times and quite frankly iy is shear luck! Probably the best strategy would be to ride the monorail during a non-peak leaving or arriving time. If there are tons of people leaving or coming there will also be tons of people requesting this too. We have had great success leaving MK for a late lunch or very early dinner at a monorail resort. But it really just boils down to being in the right place at the right time.

danyele128
08-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Each time we have simply asked. We had to wait for the next monorail twice but that was no biggie. It is worth it for the girls to ride in the FRONT! We have ridden up front bunches. We were just talking about it last night. How they want to make sure they do not miss this opportunity in DEC. So excited!!

Itchy
08-27-2008, 03:28 PM
We rode last Feb and we just had to ask the CM near the Monorail.

It was not that busy though and got on the next one. Remember though that they can only fit 4 up front with the pilot.:mickey:

homeschool mom
08-27-2008, 03:47 PM
As previous posters have said, try to ride at a non-peak time and just ask the CM. We did this several times on our last trip. I actually kind of felt guilty we did it so often, but there was no one else asking. It's a lot of fun. :mickey:

16 days and counting :thumbsup:

disneyfan328
08-27-2008, 04:03 PM
don't forget to get your monorail drivers liscense and if they are still doing it trading cards!!! We did this twice with our kids last year but it was hard since we were a family of 5 so kids got to do it twice and DH and I switched off so that no one was left behind. It really is a cool view, the kids (and adults) will love it!!!!!

MNNHFLTX
08-27-2008, 04:18 PM
All you have to do is politely ask and be willing to wait a train or two, if necessary. :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-27-2008, 07:25 PM
I think it's also easier if you are getting on at one of the resorts, either going to another resort or to the parks rather than getting on AT the parks.

Dracula766
08-27-2008, 07:26 PM
if you can manage to time it during wishes…
:fworks:
you get the most amazing view

CleveRocks
08-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Make sure you ask the CM working on the platform, NOT the pilot. I got this great advice here on INTERCOT, and I saw it play out in real life, to my advantage.

At the platform, I asked the grandfatherly CM, and he said we could if the compartment was unoccupied. The train came in and we saw a family exit the pilot's compartment. LUCKY DAY!

We then saw a Dad leap out of a monorail car and jog up to the pilot, who was standing outside his door. I could tell from all the body language that the man asked to have his family ride up front, and that the pilot turned him down.

Then we walked up to the pilot and asked, and he turned me down. I told him that the platform CM (I referred to him by name) gave us permission, and then the pilot welcomed us aboard!!!

We had a magical nighttime ride around Seven Seas Lagoon, from Contemporary to Magic Kingdom.

sophie peach
08-28-2008, 07:14 AM
we did this last year
we got to the front of the queue and asked if we could ride at the front
easy as that
by the way it was going to MK from TTC at night/evening

q105birdman
08-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Do the Pilots accomodate strollers? We have a group of 4 people and we would all like to ride up front instead of someone riding in back with the stroller. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Mickey91
08-28-2008, 09:55 AM
The best place to ride is to or from EPCOT. It is awesome!! The easiest time to be able to ride is middle of the day from one of the resorts. POly and GF seem to be the ones with the least traffic.

As far as a stroller, you can always ask. But, it is pretty small up there. If not, the pilot may be able to do a swap. Where two of you ride up front and the other two with the stroller and then swap at the next stop. Make sure you ask about this upon getting on so you will have first preference when pulling into the next stop.:mickey:

Main Street Jim
08-28-2008, 10:02 AM
No "strategy" needed...simply ask one of the Monorail pilots at the station(s).

Best ride - from TTC down to EPCOT, especially early in the evening after sunset. :thumbsup:

SAnderson70769
08-28-2008, 10:16 AM
We've done this many times very easily. Just simply ask one of the operators - unless someone has already asked or if they are training someone, usually they will be more than happy to accomodate you! Last trip my 5 year old daughter even got a little card that was like a monorail driver's license or something - she thought it was very cool!

FenwayGirl
08-28-2008, 10:30 AM
We do this every trip. Like a few before have said, try to go at an off peak time(late morning, early afternoon) You just go to the first waiting area. Sometimes you have to wait a bit, but it is worth it!

Mousemates
08-28-2008, 11:21 AM
We've done it several times...most of the time we have simply asked one of the CMs working the loading area and they have cheerfully agreed to let us if there wasn't a family in their already. thou we have had a couple of occasions (both at the GF) where while chatting with the CMs they have asked us if we would like to ride up front and then made it happen for us. :mickey:

brownie
08-28-2008, 12:26 PM
You just have to ask when you get to the front of the line. You might have to wait for the next monorail or two, though.

As far as I know, you don't really co-pilot the monorail. You just get to sit in the front with the pilot. It is neat being able to see where the monorail is heading. I'm not sure what others experiences have been, but our pilot wasn't very talkative. My father-in-law is an engineer, so he had some questions but quit asking.

MickeyMousse
08-28-2008, 12:59 PM
After many monrail trips, the only time we were asked to co-pilot was on Christmas Eve. Not very many people were on the platform waiting for the monorail and a CM came over and asked if we'd like to do it. My DS's were thrilled and were given special Monorail licenses by the pilot.
I agree though, the pilot was not very talkative at all. We just talked amongst ourselves about the view.

Imagineer1981
08-28-2008, 01:20 PM
we just ask the nearest CM..we've had to wait one or two trains, but always worth it

cmshelton1979
08-29-2008, 08:54 AM
My wife and me got to do this on our honeymoon a couple weeks ago. It might of helped that we had on our just married pins and the mickey and minnie wedding ears on.

We went from the Poly after the Luau to MK for EMH, it was awesome!!

Insanity Clause
08-29-2008, 09:51 AM
I know this is usually reserved for children but when we went in'01 me and my friend Jayne rode up front. We were 31 at the time. It was kind of cool. Plus we went in June when it is terribly busy and hot so it was a treat to have a little something extra.

Goofy Forever
08-29-2008, 03:39 PM
My sons and I do this all the time also. We love it. Last trip (July) we asked the CM if we could ride up front. He gave us the old "Weeeeellllll, I don't knowwwwwww" , my 7 yr old son gave him puppy dog eyes and the CM said he couldn't resist.

mouseketeer mom
08-29-2008, 03:57 PM
We have done this alot too. This past trip (last week) was the first trip that it was always occupied and we didn't get to do it. Thats ok, never hurts to ask, and you never know! We took some great pics of the kids doing this with nothing but sky behind them. Beautiful.

Main Street Jim
08-29-2008, 04:35 PM
I know this is usually reserved for childrenSays who? ;)

Wickster1970
08-29-2008, 11:50 PM
I know this is usually reserved for children but when we went in'01 me and my friend Jayne rode up front. We were 31 at the time. It was kind of cool. Plus we went in June when it is terribly busy and hot so it was a treat to have a little something extra.

This time it will be ME up front with the wee ones. :captain:

maxrebo77
08-30-2008, 07:50 AM
I have been able to ride upfront at least once every trip on the EPCOT monorail. Since I usually travel alone, I try to spot a party of 3 and ask them to join me. The resort monorail is different though. I think each stop has a different color monorail that will take passengers in the front.
Don't be afraid to ask the CM, they are very nice about it, and you should do it at least once.
17 days to go:party:

Tbelle1976
08-30-2008, 09:04 AM
We have also rode several times as co-pilot. This past March we just happened to be getting on the monorail when there were not many people at all. We asked if we could ride up front and they said "sure". There was a seperate waiting line for the front and we just waited for the next train to come through.

If you go in the middle of the day I would think you would have a better chance at not having a long wait.

WDWFREAK101
09-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Simply ask. All you need to do is ask.

thumperbug
09-02-2008, 02:10 PM
We were heading to poly for breakfast one morning and took a bus to MK and then the monorail to poly. Since everyone was heading into the MK at that time there was no one getting on the monorail so we asked to ride up front and we got to.

My DS was almost 6 at the time and thought it was awesome. There was also "traffic" on the rails so we were slightly delayed along the way and had to stop b/w the MK and the Contemp. Got to take some great pics and the piolet let my son sit in the pilot seat for a few moments.

We got great pics of that and of course he got his monorail license.

We were able to take the stroller with us but had to fold it up.

FUN
09-03-2008, 11:41 AM
i will have to try that in november