PDA

View Full Version : fantasmic vs spectromagic with 2 & 4 y.o.

laurie816
08-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Would you see Fantasmic or the Spectromagic Parade- with a 2 and 4 year old.
Neither is a big Disney movie fan and one scares somewhat easily.
We will be viewing Wishes on another evening.
We have to choose due to a scheduling conflict.
Thanks!:)

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
08-27-2008, 02:04 PM
If they scare somewhat easily then it is a no brainer "spectromagic". Fantasmic is an incredible show but practically every time we see it there are small children screaming in fear because it is also dark and can be loud. Spectromagic is very tame and there is rarely an instant I can remeber small children being scared while we were watching. Have a great time!

Goes4FastPass
08-27-2008, 02:17 PM
If you attend Fastasmic don't sit close - those are scary and wet seats!

however,

With 2 and 4 YO I'd find a place in Frontierland or Libery Square soon after the rope along the parade route goes up. I like to sit on the pavement right at the rope line or at the rope on the porch in front of Country Bear Jamboree. Make sure your little ones are close then when the parade goes by watch the parade and watch your kids - that's the magic.

scootch713
08-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Definitely see Spectromagic. I started taking my girls at 2 and 5, they are now 6 and almost 9.... and every single year if you would have asked their VERY FAVORITE thing about WDW.... they would both shout out Spectromagic. We usually hit it more than once during our trips.

We have only done fantasmic twice, they have both been scared by it.. the first time at age 2 and 5 was a HUGE mistake... even this past year, they were still a bit scared by it. We dont' have it on our list to do this year at all.

MickeyMomof2
08-27-2008, 02:24 PM
The main plot of Fantasmic is Mickey having a bad dream. My 5 year old closed his eyes and covered his ears during the entire middle portion. The show is great, but it includes every Disney villain you can think of. Definitely see Spectro if you have one that will be scared.

Disney Doll
08-27-2008, 03:30 PM
I also recommend SpectroMagic. I'm sure you could probably watch a video of each show on youtube that way you would know exactly what to expect. I do remember one scary float in Sprecto- a large chernabog, but overall I would say that Spectro is much less intense than Fantasmic. I have seen other kids getting scared in Fantasmic, but none that I can remember for Spectro.

KylesMom
08-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Neither is a big Disney movie fan and one scares somewhat easily Based on this comment, I too would recommend Spectromagic versus Fantasmic. As mentioned, Fantasmic can be rather intense for young children (DS at 27 months was terrified the first time he saw it), and most all of the scenes are based on Disney movies. Spectro has wonderful, light-hearted music for the most part, and while there are a few "villain" floats, it is fabulous! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-27-2008, 07:28 PM
spectromagic will be fine...if they scare easily be prepared to leave Fantasmic

sophie peach
08-28-2008, 07:16 AM
spectromagic
i hope they can stay awake to see it!!

Mickey91
08-28-2008, 10:01 AM
If you have one that scares easy, I would go with Spectromagic. It is beautiful and very exciting. Fantasmic! is about the villains popping into Mickey's dream and trying to scare him so they can take over. Is a really good show but can be frightening to young children.

Mousemates
08-28-2008, 11:35 AM
I join the chorus of those saying Spectromagic and for the reasons previously mentioned...especially if you have one that "spooks" rather easily....the giant dragon and the fire would likely cause them to come unglued....save it for a couple of years and then they will be able ot go and enjoy it.

TwoTinyWings
08-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Yet another vote for Spectro! I'm sure they will love it.

In addition, from experience with my own young children, I know logistics and scheduling are very important to the trip. Spectro is a much smaller time commitment, in terms of show duration. Furthermore, you can always leave the parade area if you need to without too much trouble (bathroom break, kids - or adults - have had it for the night, whatever the reason) - this is probably more difficult in a theater setup.

Have a great time!

Imagineer1981
08-28-2008, 03:30 PM
I used to be scared of the Spectro clown guys until they changed their costumes. But the large chernabog can be frightening if he opens up by the kids. But overall, way better than Fantasmic as far as fear factor

Minnie Imagineer
08-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Pros and Cons for each (for your situation)

Spectromagic
Pros- not scary, fasinating lights, happy music, familiar characters, early show is 9pm, short show 20 mins
Cons- either uncomfortable seating or standing, late show is 11pm

Fantasmic
Pros- more recogizable characters, story telling, water effects, fire effects, also short 25mins, early 9pm, seats, Mickey saves the day
Cons- late show is 10:30 pm, might be scary if you sit close

momof3+twins
08-28-2008, 03:54 PM
The wait for Fantasmic is a little much for year olds. Go with Spectro. Try to early parade because the later one normally ends up with sleeping kids!

Belle619
08-29-2008, 08:08 AM
I saw Fantasmic for the first time this year - and I can't lie, at 27 years old I thought it was a little scarry. :secret: We did love it though.