PDA

View Full Version : Input Needed

EmISeeKayEeWhy
08-27-2008, 12:33 PM
My 6yr DD is what they call "wild diabetic". Meaning it's very near impossible to control her blood sugars. This results with extreme highs one minute with extreme lows the next. This can result in loss of conscieneness and/or sickness. I'm worried prolonged standing in lines may be hard on her. Do you think this warrants a GAC?

Strmchsr
08-27-2008, 05:45 PM
First of all, :welcome: to Intercot!!!

I would recommend calling WDW Guest Relations and asking them about that. My DS8 is a diabetic, so I know how difficult that can sometimes be to manage at WDW, but I'm not sure they would give you the GAC for that. They've grown much stricter about giving it out due to some abuse issues. If you can get a letter from her endocrinologist asserting that she is not capable of standing in long lines that would certainly help. However, given the time frame you're going, with good planning and use of fastpass I don't think you'll ever have lines that are too huge so it might not be an issue.

Also, I'm not familiar with "wild" diabetes which cannot be controlled (my son is a type-1) but it sounds like you would do well to invest in a continuous glucose monitor if you haven't already which would show you when spikes and drops are coming and allow you to react accordingly.

EmISeeKayEeWhy
08-28-2008, 08:36 AM
The term isn't an official term it was how the doctors explained it to us. She's insulin dependant AND insulin resistant. Poor heart wears the meter on one side and a pump one the other.

Nate's Grandpa
08-28-2008, 01:25 PM
I agree with Chris, a note from her doctor and a call to WDW guest relations will be helpful.

I have been a diabetic for 30 years. I cannot imagine being insulin dependent and resistant at the same time. This has to be very difficult for her and you.

Good luck on your trip!
Please let us know what happens.

Oh yes, Welcome to Intercot!:welcome: