PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story-will it make me sick?

AdventurelandTikiGirl
08-26-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm heading off to the World this weekend, and I'm wondering about Toy Story Mania. I get really bad motion sickness. An example of how ridiculous it gets is the last time I went on the ferry from the TTC to MK I felt like I was on a boat all night and felt sick on Peter Pan :sick: I love Soarin, but usually experience most of it with my eyes closed.

So, can someone describe exactly what the spinning is like on Toy Story? Is it the type of ride where if I closed my eyes I would be able to get my bearings and feel better?

I'm hoping I'll be ok, but don't wanna risk ruining a day by going on a ride I shouldn't.

stephntampa
08-27-2008, 07:30 AM
As the ride vehicle glides to each new game you do get a little jerked around.. it may be a problem with the motion sickness you describe. I take a no-drowsy Dramamine before I head to the parks, and can enjoy all the rides without the sickness. Hope this helps!

Mousemates
08-27-2008, 08:39 AM
I suppose my question would be what seems to aggravate your motion sickness the most..is it short elevation gains and drops (like you get on a boat in choppy water or when Peter Pan takes flight over london)...or is it quick lateral movements or spins.

Because if its more of an updown issue then you'd likely be okay...but if its a "quick turn" thing then it might get you a little bit as you are positioned to fire your weapon.

kakn7294
08-27-2008, 08:44 AM
It's not a continuous motion - you are moved around walls into position to shoot at your targets which are in 3-D and move across the screen in front of you. The movement of the car to get into position can be pretty jerky and does spin you a bit. I don't have motion sickness so I can't tell you from that standpoint.

thrillme
08-27-2008, 09:27 AM
I haven't been on this one but if it's anything similar to Buzz you're probably going to have a bit of a problem. If you're really sensitive to "motion sickness" you're going to have quite a problem everywhere.

Check with your doctor for any inner ear problems and explain your sensitivity. I'd consider taking dramamine before heading out to the park and I've heard "ginger" helps too. You'll be losing out on a lot of fun stuff. Soarin' is fun but it's even more "betterer" with your eyes wide open.

There's also a wristband of sorts that's supposed to work but I just don't see how. You could probably use the wristband in conjunction WITH Dramamine or Ginger.

Mythbusters had a show in which they tested different treatments. They picked two of their people who were sensitive to motion sickness. They didn't test Dramamine that I know of because the test was on "NATURAL" treatments. Both who were tested found Ginger to actually help.

AdventurelandTikiGirl
08-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I do wear sea bands and take ginger. Unfortunately, dramamine makes me drowsy, and the supposedly non-drowsy one makes me even more drowsy than the regular one. I am able to enjoy lots of rides at Disney (except for the thrill rides), which is one of the reasons I love Disney. I actually do ok on Buzz Lightyear except for that room where there is a scene that spins around you.

I think what I'll do is use my typical litmus test-send my sister (MissStyles) on the ride first and she'll tell me if I can do it :clappy::rolleyes:

MissStyles
08-27-2008, 08:38 PM
I think what I'll do is use my typical litmus test-send my sister (MissStyles) on the ride first and she'll tell me if I can do it :clappy::rolleyes:

:mickey: That's fine by me :thumbsup:

though......I really think you'll be fine, considering you did Test Track and didn't feel :sick: after that and like you said you did Buzz Lightyear and weren't affected by that either!

hnybear22
08-28-2008, 12:38 AM
We will be going back to the world in 23 days :party:
I am very sensitive to motion and have to close my eyes in the tunnel on Buzz to keep from getting sick:sick:
Remember you will be wearing 3 d glasses also and this can really add to my sensitivity to motion- I have to take the glasses of sometimes in the movies
My doctor gives me a perscription for patches to put behind your ear that really help-(no drowsiness) with them I was able to ride space mountain and Exp Everest with my family for the first time last year
Talk to your doctor and see if you can try these
Hope you have a great time:mickey: