PDA

View Full Version : Alzheimer's Respite

MFJK711
08-25-2008, 07:02 PM
My Family and I are about to take a well deserved respite vacation. My Wife and I have been fulltime caregivers for my Father for the last two years. My Mom had light memory challenges - enough to remove her ability to live independently.

My Father is under Hospice care with his stage of Alzheimer's and with that, they provide care or a facility for him so that the Family can have a respite.

We, the rest of us - my Wife and 2 kids (5 & 7) and Mom - will be vacationing at WDW for 8 days. We have planned this since June.

My Mom was just diagnosed with Alzheimer's and her short term memory loss is severe. Once the assistant in caregiving, is now in need of assistance.

I apologize for the length, but I am not sure what kind of things are available to help at WDW.

We have a pretty good itinerary set with a CNA coming out for three days. We are on the deluxe meal plan, staying at the Poly; but am trying to see how to work the CNA in. Is there something that WDW does in this situation?

We have tickets for my Mom to everything - everyday, but ofcourse, she cannot make it all day; so we have the nurse. Is there a program or cheaper ticket for the nurse? Or, am I stuck at paying full price for the tickets and ala carte for her meals? We are already paying a great deal by the hour.

Thank You All in advance for your assistance!!!:confused:

Marilyn Michetti
08-25-2008, 08:27 PM
I guess I'm not understanding. Are you taking the CNA WITH you? I doubt that Disney will pay any monies or give you a discount for a paid caregiver.

If you're going to need someone in the room for part of the day for your dear mom, why not hire someone from an agency in FL? That way, you wouldn't need park tickets or anything else extra for the CNA.:confused:

MFJK711
08-25-2008, 09:29 PM
I am sorry about the confusion in my original message.

We are local to Orlando and it was far easier for us to vacation here than to fly somewhere else. Plus we love Disney and our kids are 5 & 7 - the best Disney Age.

The CNA is local and will be joining us for three days - for work. Mainly the three days my Mom will not be able to join us all day - water park, Animal Kingdom, and Magic Kingdom (kid day).

Mom is already part of the Magic Your Way Pckg. I was hoping that there was a disount for care givers while on the clock for tickets. We have already paid for the care giver services.

I need the park tickets and I need to accommodate the care giver's meal while with my Mom.

I am amazed that Disney does not have something for this type of situation. I am sure it happens more often than we think. It would probably be abused if it was in place the more I think about it.

I guess we will just get a little stronger for the additional struggle.

Thanks Again for Your Input in Advance.:mickey:

ckaranassos
08-26-2008, 08:25 AM
I do not have any advice really for you on the subject at hand, but I did want to wish you a fabulous time. My step father passed away from Lou Gehrigs disease 3 years ago and like you my mother was his one and only dearest caretaker. The things she was able to do for him was amazing (ex: lift him, bath him exercise etc.) A year prior to his death my sister's family and mine decided it was time to go to WDW. My step father not being able to move from his arms down, however having cognitive awareness, said my mother must go. We live in nj and were fortunate because my "step aunts and uncle" came in shifts and cared for him so my mom could go. Make a long story semi short and finally to the point, my mother was a nervous wreck leaving. We stayed at poly and our first full day there she was amazed. She got up in the morning on her own and got a cup of coffee and just walked around the grounds. She came back crying because it was so beautiful and quiet and relaxing. Anyhoo, if anywhere can give you a chance to put aside your "troubles" for a couple of days the magic of disney is your place. So enjoy yourself and thank you for being there for someone else.