PDA

View Full Version : and so it begins

caryrae
08-25-2008, 06:21 PM
This morning some areas in northern Minnesota were right around freezing. With the MN State Fair going on now that means the end of summer is coming. I don't mind Fall around here, leaves changing, apple orchards really get going, hot apple cider, save money not using the AC, ect, but man I am really not liking winter anymore.

LauraleeH
08-25-2008, 06:38 PM
You are so lucky! I don't think I can handle another Florida "Fall" or "Winter" anymore. Maybe we should trade ;)

caryrae
08-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Sounds good to me. You can live at my house in the winter and I will live in yours:)

After all my life here, 35 winters (man I am so old, lol) of below zero temps, feet of snow, winter drivers, everything is white or dirty white along highways it gets old. I suppose just like warm/hot temps and no snow all year longs gets old to you.

Ed
08-25-2008, 07:04 PM
I suppose just like warm/hot temps and no snow all year longs gets old to you.

Uhmmmmm..... in a word:

No. :nono:

After about a century and a half ( I'm :old: , ya know) in a cold weather state, :snowball: I'm making up for lost time now.

Bring on the sunshine! :sun: I'll take all of it anyone else wants to donate.

Although I must admit that I haven't quite gotten used to plastic snowmen and decorated palm trees for Christmas! :santa:

:cool:

MNNHFLTX
08-25-2008, 07:16 PM
This morning some areas in northern Minnesota were right around freezing. With the MN State Fair going on now that means the end of summer is coming. I don't mind Fall around here, leaves changing, apple orchards really get going, hot apple cider, save money not using the AC, ect, but man I am really not liking winter anymore.
I'm originally from Minnesota, so I know what you mean. I love fall up there, but winter can be so long and cold. That's why I moved to Florida years ago, so that my feet were not perpetually frozen from November to April!

Speaking of which, I have fond memories of the Minnesota State Fair--showing 4-H projects, eating fried cheese curds (do they still have those?) and seeing the grandstand shows. Garrison Keillor is doing a Prairie Home Companion show (the Rhubarb tour, lol!) next weekend at the grandstand, as a matter of fact. Wish I could be there!

Hmm, talking about this is making Minnesota sound pretty good to me, especially with 90 degree heat here in Texas for at least another month. ;)

jillluvsdisney
08-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Your thread is so ironic because I was thinking the very same thing today. I live south of Milwaukee and it felt like a fall day here. Cool morning and a cool breeze all day long.:cloud9:

I never used to mind winter but after last winter's 100 inches of snow I am dreading this year. I was already thinking today that I need to but a shovel this year.:thedolls::

Marilyn Michetti
08-25-2008, 08:45 PM
I guess the grass IS always greener.......it's 107 here today, with building humidity, and I'd LOVE to be on the cold side of fall.:sun:

I, too, grew up in the NE part of Ohio, then in PA. for 24 years. I never minded the snow or cold then, but after 15 years in AZ. I'd probably be one big arthritic mess.:old: In Dec., I'm the one watching Illuminations with only eyes exposed. Everything else, is mittens, hat, scarf, blanket, and wool jacket.

I do miss the changing seasons up your way, but for six months of the year, everyone wants to be here.:D

conorsmom2000
08-26-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm in NJ and it's 58 degrees here this morning - definitely cool for August! We have not been in our pool (above ground) in two weeks because the nights have cooled off the water too much (next year we are buying a heater, if anyone has any suggestions!)

I do love the fall, and I'm ready for it, but I am not a fan of winter at all and I dread it too. Though, our winters are so unpredictable. Two winters ago it was bitter cold all the time, last winter was more mild - neither winter had much snow. Conor's going into 3rd grade and I believe he's only had 2 snow days in the 3 years he's been in school - and that is totally unusual. It was only a few years ago we were having blizzards and winters with 27 snow storms. After 2 mild winters, I'm thinking the snow might be due to return.....

I'll just think thoughts of pumpkins, apple picking and warm cider for now..... :thumbsup:

caryrae
08-26-2008, 08:57 AM
Another way you know things are changing soon is, I just bought some pumpkin spiced coffee creamer and the grocery store had the big bags of halloween candy out already. Now I just have to sit back and wait for the Egg Nog to hit the shelves.

Man why am I thinking of this but only 4 months til Christmas:eek:

Melanie
08-26-2008, 09:13 AM
I guess the grass IS always greener.......

I hear ya! I'm so done with 90% humidity and being drenched with sweat just walking to my car. :whew: And yay, we have another couple of months of this. :rolleyes:

We'll be getting our orders soon for our next duty station in the States, and I'm praying for a cold weather state. Love it! :snowball:

ChipnDaleGal
08-26-2008, 09:34 AM
This morning felt like fall here in northern Indiana. I love fall, but I hate that winter is on its heels. Wish we could just slide right back into spring. I dread the thought of snow and ice coming sooner than I would like (which is actually never!).

Mel - fingers crossed that you get a posting that makes you deliriously happy!! Maybe your toes will be freezing along with all us northerners next winter.

LauraleeH
08-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Another way you know things are changing soon is, I just bought some pumpkin spiced coffee creamer and the grocery store had the big bags of halloween candy out already. Now I just have to sit back and wait for the Egg Nog to hit the shelves.

Man why am I thinking of this but only 4 months til Christmas:eek:
No way! I've been looking for the pumpkin spice creamer but they don't have it out yet!! Grr. :mad: Send me some!!! ;)
We do have lots of Halloween candy...and Olive Garden has their pumpkin cheesecake which is delicious!

MaryPoppinsFan
08-26-2008, 02:16 PM
I am so ready for fall. Jeans and sweatshirts and U OF M FOOTBALL!!! I love the cider mills and decorating with pumpkins and corn stalks (dont like Halloween though) but i cringe at the thought of winter. I hate driving in it :(
It was only 55 when I sent my kids off to school this morning. I can smell fall right around the corner:scrow:

garymacd
08-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Boy, Caryrae. Are you ever lucky!

I still have to wear these shorts!!!

:rotfl:

caryrae
08-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Boy, Caryrae. Are you ever lucky!

I still have to wear these shorts!!!

:rotfl:

very funny. :haha: I guess, winter is another good reason to visit WDW.

conorsmom2000
08-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Actually, tonight it hit me what I don't like about autumn approaching - I looked outside about 7:40 pm and it was almost dark out. :( For me, the best part of spring & summer is the longer daylight hours! Two months from now it will be dark at 5:00 pm..... :fall:

DisneyDog
08-27-2008, 07:40 PM
A bit of perspective...We moved to Florida 7 years ago and stayed for 3 1/2 years. The first year was great! It was sooo wonderful not having snow or cold weather to deal with. I was lovin' it! But, then when the second fall came around, then it was Halloween and then Thanksgiving, and it was still in the 90s and the humidity was still up there and I just wanted soooooo badly for it to cool off just a little bit and see some color in the leaves...well, I started to get a little bit tired of it. Then, the next year felt even hotter and longer, and then the next summer we were hit by 4 hurricanes and we were stressed out beyond belief about that.

So, we moved back up north. And now I don't mind the cold as much, and snow seems so easy compared to preparing for a hurricane. I don't complain anymore. I love it up here...and actually, last winter we only had ONE snow day. Can't complain! Nope, not at all.

Florida is a great place to vacation, but now I know that there's no place like home and I love it.

However, it has been an unusually cool August. Seems kind of odd...