PDA

View Full Version : Back to school anxiety?

Jen C.
08-25-2008, 03:05 PM
I want to know if I am in the majority or minority here.

My kids are 8,7, and 2. Last year at the end of school, I was like, "Oh no! What am I going to do with these kids all summer!" However, now that we are 1 week away from the resuming of classes, I am actually slightly sad/bummed/depressed.

Dh says it's because I am having anxiety for the kids, and he might be right. I am worried if their friends will be in their class, if they will find the bus o.k., who they will "buddy up" with, etc. Do any other paretns feel similar? I almost feel like it's me going to school! Just curious if you are happy when the bus comes, or sad? Or both? Thanks!:confused:

Jasper
08-25-2008, 03:14 PM
We all have a certain amount of trepidation when our kids return to school each year both for them and for ourselves. However, the key is if that fear/concern/trepidation keeps you from doing things you need to do.

I have also noticed that the level of concern can be very different not only from one family to the next but also from one school system to the next. For example, the school system we live in is one of the best you will find anywhere plus since this is a fairly small community we know a large percentage of the other parents, their kids, the staff at the schools as well as the teachers. As a result we are very comfortable when our little ones head out the door to school.

The best way to handle your concerns is to just jump in with both feet and embrace the new school year and all that it brings. That includes volunteering at schools when time allows, that allows you to get to know the teachers and some of the other parents better.

MNNHFLTX
08-25-2008, 03:43 PM
I am always a little sad when my son goes back at school. Since he is a junior in high school this year (hard to believe!)and pretty mature, I no longer worry about the bus, friends, etc. What gets me every year as he leaves is that mental picture in my head of him as a five-year-old, bravely trudging into his kindergarten class. It reminds me of how grown-up he has become and that he will soon be going off to college. :(

jax86
08-25-2008, 03:46 PM
i know exactly how you feel. my kids are in middle and high school and i feel like i'm back in school. My daughter is feeling anxiety as well. she hates the high school drama and just doesn't get into it. my kids had a great time all summer just relaxing with friends and family, some volunteer jobs, vacationing, and just days of doing nothing. they dread the tons of homework that they are sure to have and the constant feeling of being rushed to get things done. but i guess thats life isn't it? i teach and have to return to school as well, and as much as i really miss my students i could use a few more weeks to accomplish some of what i never got around to. we feel this way every year, but after a few weeks we get into it and the school year just flies by. good luck

conorsmom2000
08-25-2008, 06:26 PM
I definitely get more anxious than Conor does. He seems to go with the flow, but I know he struggles socially and doesn't make friends easily, so I've definitely been worrying for him. Add to that, I'll be working full time for the first time since he was born and it adds to my anxiety - I'm used to seeing him randomly during PA events or popping into school for something (I'm the PA President at his school) but, now, I won't be there for things like that so I won't get to see him at all. Plus, he'll have to wait for me to pick him up, instead of me waiting for him, so it's a lot of change for us this year (no buses for our district). But, I don't let Conor know that I'm worried - we have a countdown calendar up for my first day of "school" (work - 8 days) and his first day of school (9 days) and we've done the back to school shopping....so, I just try to be excited about it!

Melanie
08-25-2008, 07:10 PM
You know, this is the first year in a while that I've felt really comfortable with the whole 'back to school' process. We've lived here now for two years, and the boys are comfortable in their school and with friends. We had a good summer, but everyone was ready for school to start.

Now, next year will be an entirely different story. We will be in a new place back in the States, and my oldest will be going to middle school. :faint: I'm sure I'll lose some sleep over all that. ;)

ChipnDaleGal
08-26-2008, 09:45 AM
I am always a little sad when my son goes back at school. Since he is a junior in high school this year (hard to believe!)and pretty mature, I no longer worry about the bus, friends, etc. What gets me every year as he leaves is that mental picture in my head of him as a five-year-old, bravely trudging into his kindergarten class. It reminds me of how grown-up he has become and that he will soon be going off to college. :(

Exactly how I feel Beth. My daughter is a senior this year and I can not believe how quickly it went. The first day of school I always picture that little girl in the pink dress and pigtails that was so excited about kindergarten she practically bounced Tigger style onto the bus. For her first day of 12th grade next week, she will be driving off in her grandpa's old beatup pick up truck - no bouncing. Makes me sad and kind of nostalgic for the old days when I was worrying about all the things Jen C. mentioned in her original post.

d_m_n_n
08-26-2008, 10:04 AM
I don't worry too much about DSs when school starts as they both tend to have 2-3 very close friends and we arrange it so that they are in class together. I do tend to worry a little more about DS6 as sometimes he can be a little space cadet! ;)

I am sad every year when school starts. I love having the boys home with me in the summer...just hanging out, swimming, catching fireflies, watching the Disney Channel together. My DSIL "celebrates" the first day of school with friends at breakfast...I sit in the car and :cry: when the bus picks them up. And what made it worse this year is DS6 is a first grader so I am home alone all day, every day. :sadwave: I do try to think of the positives...grocery shopping alone, that kind of thing...but I do miss them terribly.

So, here's a :hug: to all the mom's and dad's missing or worrying about their kids in the first weeks of school.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-26-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm a bummed my kids are going back to school too. I always enjoy summer with them.

My oldest is going into Jr High next week. I know he is so excited. I am a little nervous about all the changes that go along with switching classes, etc. He has real organization issues that are always a problem. He is also ADD and while it does not have too much of an impact on his learning, it is an issue. I hope the plans we have in effect with his teachers are going to work.(He has a 504 plan in effect) He has a great homeroom teacher and the other two teachers he has during the day are also great. He is really a great kid and a good student. He just has a few weaknesses that can make a school year a little more stressful then it should be.

My middle son is going into 3rd grade and I have no concerns about him what so ever. He is a very strong student, organized to the point of being OCD like his Mom and has an amazing teacher with a really great class. He has been waiting for the first day of school since the last day, lol.

But, my biggest source of anxiety is my baby is going into Kindergarten!:( I am so excited for her but, I can't believe my little girl is leaving me all day to go to school. She can't wait for her first day and she loves the fact that she is going into the "big school" with her brothers. Our school is K-8 so, she will have the chance to see them here and there. She is more then ready and I know she is going to do great. Her teacher is amazing. We had her for my oldest when he was in K. The class seems great. She is even in the same room I was in, when I was in Kindergarten in the same school! I'm going to miss my little Princess.

I hope all of your children have a great first day back and a wonderful school year!!