PDA

View Full Version : Job change - moving to Pittsburgh

Donald A
08-25-2008, 11:55 AM
I am getting ready to move from Indy to Pittsburgh next month. Things at my job here just kept getting worse and worse. The good points are Pittsburgh is 100 miles from my wife's hometown and parents and likewise 100 miles from my family in Akron, Ohio.

As I type this our house purchase is getting finalized in Pittsburgh. There is so much to do and then again a lot of downtime too. We are not going to show our house in Indy or put it on the market until after we move. Certainly the economy adds some fear to doing that.

I was wondering if any of my friends on Intercot can get me excited about living in "the Burg" (Oh, and telling me the Steelers are there won't work for me as I grew up and lived most of my life in NE Ohio).

Pookiesmom
08-25-2008, 12:28 PM
What area are you settling down in? I'm from Bethel Park, which is south of the city. I've lived here my whole life and love it! There are lots of fun places to visit in the city and we are a comfortable distance out in the burbs. Good luck with the move!

disneymom07
08-25-2008, 12:36 PM
I live on the west side of Pittsburgh. It's not in the "big city" but close enough to enjoy all it has to offer. Give it a chance, I'll think you;ll like it.

Figment78
08-25-2008, 01:33 PM
I think you'll find yourself very comfortable in Pittsburgh. I grew up here, went away for school and came back!

My DH is originally from Buffalo,NY and both he and I lived in Cleveland,OH for about 8 years for school and jobs afterwards. Both of us find Pittsburgh somewhat similar to these cities, but love all that it has to offer.

Though it's not usually the first thing that people think of when they think "Pittsburgh" - it really is a beautiful area (city and surrounding suburbs). Due to the hills and rivers, there is still a lot of trees and non-developed scenery. The drive from Pittsburgh to Cleveland on PA60 is actually one of my favorites in the fall.

In addition, the city itself is small and walkable, PNC park is a very fun summer destination (even when the Pirates lose, it's fun!), in addition to regular malls - Southside Works, Walnut street in Shadyside and the Waterfront are fun dining and shopping locales, Kennywood is about as fun an "old fashioned amusement park" as you are going to find anywhere, people are friendly, the weather is mild (esp. compared to NE Ohio), the Theater District is excellent, including many wondeful restaurants within walking distance, and the Carnegie Museums are very well-developed. There's so much more too - anything in particular you are interested in hearing about?

And oh yeah - there are lots of WDW fans in Pittsburgh as well - so you'll fit right in! :mickey:

disneyfan328
08-25-2008, 02:10 PM
I agree some of the best WDW are from "da Burgh" !!! haha

seriuosly though, I love Pgh. From the views at Mt. Washington to riding the subway with my kids we love the city. We live outside of Monroeville which is east of the city about 10 - 15 mins away (of course rush hour is a different story) but like the PP said our theatre district and musems are some of the best. The Pittsburgh zoo and Aquarium has also been updated and we have lots of baby animals there this year including 2 baby elephants and a baby tiger (oh my goodness they are just tooo cute)

We have pretty good hospitals here as well as some great places to eat. I am sure you will fit right in and us native pittsburghers will make you feel right at home.

good luck with the move and your new job.

Not sure what your flight time is from Indy, but we are a mere 2hours flight from MCO!!!

Donald A
08-25-2008, 02:48 PM
What area are you settling down in? I'm from Bethel Park, which is south of the city. I've lived here my whole life and love it! There are lots of fun places to visit in the city and we are a comfortable distance out in the burbs. Good luck with the move!

I will be in the south side of the city as well.

kakn7294
08-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Hey Donald, welcome to the 'Burgh! I think you will learn to love it here - Pittsburgh is really a great city. I'm Northwest of the city, in Beaver County, about 50 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. Will you be on the South Side (just across the Mon River - can see the city) or in the South Hills (surburb - can't see the city)? When do you officially arrive? Will you just have a private practice or will you work at one of the local hospitals as well? Man, I'm just full of questions! And as a last note, just think, you are now going to be even closer to your beloved Browns (:ack:) - maybe we can convert you!

Donald A
08-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Hey Donald, welcome to the 'Burgh! I think you will learn to love it here - Pittsburgh is really a great city. I'm Northwest of the city, in Beaver County, about 50 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. Will you be on the South Side (just across the Mon River - can see the city) or in the South Hills (surburb - can't see the city)? When do you officially arrive? Will you just have a private practice or will you work at one of the local hospitals as well? Man, I'm just full of questions! And as a last note, just think, you are now going to be even closer to your beloved Browns (:ack:) - maybe we can convert you!

Kathy,
I will be in the South Hills I believe, South Park, West Mifflin, Pleasant Hills, etc. I should be there by the end of September.

No offense, but if my wife can't convert me the way she loves the Steelers, I don't think any one can. When she lived and worked in Cleveland less than 1 mile from Cleveland Browns Stadium, I didn't convert her either. ;)

kakn7294
08-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Kathy,
I will be in the South Hills I believe, South Park, West Mifflin, Pleasant Hills, etc. I should be there by the end of September.

No offense, but if my wife can't convert me the way she loves the Steelers, I don't think any one can. When she lived and worked in Cleveland less than 1 mile from Cleveland Browns Stadium, I didn't convert her either. ;)I know you love your Browns - I was only kidding! Nobody could convince me any team is better than the Steelers either!

PlutoToo
08-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Phipps conservatory, the Carnegie Musuem, and the incline

DisneyorBust
08-28-2008, 08:54 PM
I live outside of Pittsburgh, western suburbs.
Just want to say welcome to Pittsburgh! We hope that you find it to be a great 'small town', lots of friendly people here to make you feel welcome.
As far as you loving your Browns, we won't hold that against you! It's good to see that you are a true fan.

MegaDisney
08-28-2008, 10:37 PM
I lived in Bethel Park for one week Feburary two years ago.

I couldn't handle the cold, being from the west coast and Phoenix.

I enjoyed the city but the snow was TOO much for me!