PDA

View Full Version : Shellfish Allergy and Teppan Edo?

dizfanforever
08-25-2008, 11:31 AM
My husband is allergic to shellfish. The last time we went to a "hibachi" style Japanese restaurant, he got very ill due to some cross-contamination on the grill. (The grill was wiped off after the chef prepared the shrimp appetizer and before my husband's dinner was prepared, but I guess that wasn't sufficient...live and learn!) NOT a very nice experience for him, poor guy.
That being said, I know my kids would LOVE to go to Teppan Edo and see the chefs working their magic and I'd really like to take them there on our next trip.
Does anyone know if you can order food from a kitchen there to make sure my husband's food is shellfish free?
Thanks in advance!

tinklover
08-25-2008, 12:11 PM
you should be able to order his food from the kitchen. I have an egg allergy and i get my fried rice form teh kitchen so it is absolutely egg free but that is at the hibatchi's and the Tokyo steak houses . but i am sure if you let them know he is allergic they will do that for him.

ILoveLegos
08-25-2008, 12:58 PM
I don't know how severe your husband's allergic reaction is but a friend of mine could not even be in the same house as cooking shellfish. Just breathing the air in a hibachi restuarant like Teppan Edo would cause him to require a trip to the emergency room just due to all of the fumes from the cooking shell fish - he also had severe peanut allergies too - poor guy has to really be careful eating out. If your husband carries an epi pen like my friend does - don't leave home without it.

SAHDad
08-25-2008, 03:51 PM
dizfanforever - I don't know how severe your husband's allergy is. My wife has a shellfish allergy, and while it is not life-threatening, she is sensitive enough that Coral Reef, Teppan Edo, and several other restaurants are simply off-limits to us because there is too much shellfish present.

You can try calling the chef (and make sure it is noted), but it is possible that your husband's allergy is pretty sensitive, so you may not be able to do a family meal there.

jillluvsdisney
08-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Yikes!!! My Mom has a severe shellfish allergy. we may need to re think our ADRs for Teppan Edo.:(

dizfanforever
08-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Luckily, he doesn't seem to be affected by it unless he actually touches it or ingests it. He used to work in a restaurant and found out he was allergic when peeling some shrimp in the kitchen. His face and eyes puffed up so that he was almost beyond recognition. If he ingests any shellfish, he has severe gastrointestinal symptoms. :ack:
I suppose that I should play it safe and choose a different TS restaurant in Epcot for our family. We've done Coral Reef and LeCellier and liked them both, but would like to try something different and I think we'd like it to be in the World Showcase...
Biergarten?
Nine Dragons? (my kids love Chinese here at home...)
San Angel Inn? (love the ambience, but not sure of the quality of the food...)
Help me decide! I'm afraid if I wait much longer all of the ADRs will be gone!

Thanks!

SAHDad
08-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Of the other ones you listed, I've only been to Biergarten. It was pretty good (not exceptional, but certainly not bad), and the floor show was great.

I've heard some mixed reviews about San Angel, but nothing so bad it would prevent me from trying it.