PDA

View Full Version : Know anything about Bunions?

kakn7294
08-24-2008, 01:21 PM
While at WDW last week, Phil developed pain in his right foot just below the big toe along the outside of the foot. The area is also reddened and swollen. I'm not sure if the toe is deviated towards the others - I don't think so though. He hasn't been to see a doctor yet but I think he has a bunion. He had this same pain and swelling several years ago while also on vacation but it went away after a short time with nothing more than Ibuprofen for treatment. Anyone else out there have bunions? Do they actually "go away" like that (or at least the symptoms go away for a time)? Everything I read on the internet says it's progressive and once you develop one, the symptoms won't go away without surgery which makes me unsure if this is what he has. I'm going to buy a toe separator or bunion regulator for him to see if that helps. I've also told him to take the Ibuprofen and ice it but he's a stubborn guy and won't listen to me.

gerald72
08-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Paul Bunyan is a mythological lumberjack who appears in tall tales of American folklore. The character originated in the work of American journalist James MacGillivray. Historically, the character has been popular in the northern region of the United States, around Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Oh, wait...wrong bunyan?

kakn7294
08-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Paul Bunyan is a mythological lumberjack who appears in tall tales of American folklore. The character originated in the work of American journalist James MacGillivray. Historically, the character has been popular in the northern region of the United States, around Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Oh, wait...wrong bunyan?:D Yeah, kinda!

MsMin
08-24-2008, 04:19 PM
I don't know too much about bunions but my podiatrist explained that many of the foot disorders are all related. He said they stem from a shift in the muscle/tendons when a ligament or tendon is stretched over worked etc.
I have a heel spur which is really falling arches. He explained that it comes from having high arches and the stress makes you shift your weight and then other foot problems like bunions and callouses can develop.
Tell your DH to take good care of his feet. I have arch supports and wear crocs in WDW to help give me support. I have arch supports too. Just don't let him wait til it gets to the point where he needs surgery... your feet need to be cared for early on when we don't realize the abuse we are putting them through. My feet can feel like I'm walking on glass, esp. when I get up in the a.m. :walk: take care...

jax86
08-24-2008, 09:43 PM
my daughter is a ballet dancer and has bunions. The pain does come and go, but the bunion never goes away. surgery is an option later on (she's only 15) . the best thing you can do is take him to a doctor to get it probably diagnosed. i developed bunions later in life from not wearing the proper shoes. good luck!!

MNNHFLTX
08-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Kathy, your husband might have a bunion, but it could also be gout. Gout causes similar symptoms to what you are describing and can come and go. So I would say it's worth a trip to the doctor (podiatrist) to find out, as there is medication that can help ease symptoms and prevent flare-ups.

Donald A
08-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Kathy, your husband might have a bunion, but it could also be gout. Gout causes similar symptoms to what you are describing and can come and go. So I would say it's worth a trip to the doctor (podiatrist) to find out, as there is medication that can help ease symptoms and prevent flare-ups.

Kathy,
Sounds like gout to me too.

BTW I am moving to Pittsburgh next month!

Jasper
08-25-2008, 12:06 PM
I am assuming that Phil has a job where he is not on his feet as much as he was at WDW. If that is the case it may be a simple matter that his feet are just hurting because they are not use to that much walking and standing.

Several years ago my mother thought she had a problem with bunions because she had pain and redness when she was on her feet more than normal. Her doctor told her that a lot of people suffer a lot from stress pain in that area of their foot when they are on their feet more than normal but it is not related to bunions. However, the bottom line is that whether it is bunions, gout, stress pain, or something else, you won't know what it really is until the doctor checks it out.

DisneyWhirled
08-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Sorry, Kathy, I don't know much about Bunions, but I wanted to send my best to Phil. I hope that the pain subsides really soon and he is feeling better.

After all, we will have a lot of walking again in October!!

kakn7294
08-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Kathy,
Sounds like gout to me too.

BTW I am moving to Pittsburgh next month!You know, gout was our first thought but he doesn't have any of the risk factors that we know of. His BP is good, he's not overweight, doesn't drink alcohol, takes no medications, doesn't eat a lot of foods rich in purines, and has no family hx. Last time this happened was 6 yrs ago and it went away on it's own - no treatment. He says it's starting to feel better but I'm still going to encourage him to go see his doctor - I might have to personally drag him there.

BTW, you'll have to let me know where you will be practicing. You never know, I might need a good podiatrist someday if my plantar fasciitis gets worse. Just don't tell me to wear good supportive shoes - they actually make it hurt so much worse that I was in tear after a few hours!

MNNHFLTX
08-27-2008, 10:58 AM
You know, gout was our first thought but he doesn't have any of the risk factors that we know of. His BP is good, he's not overweight, doesn't drink alcohol, takes no medications, doesn't eat a lot of foods rich in purines, and has no family hx. Last time this happened was 6 yrs ago and it went away on it's own - no treatment. He says it's starting to feel better but I'm still going to encourage him to go see his doctor - I might have to personally drag him there. Well, the risk factors definitely increase the chances of developing gout, but I've had some patients (young people too) with no risk factors that start having problems with it for some reason. It could have been he was a bit dehydrated in the Florida heat, which can sometimes cause an increase in uric acid in the blood.

I'm glad he's feeling better. Who knows? That sore spot may have just been a pressure point against the side of his shoe that became inflamed. But I agree that it would probably be a good idea to have a doctor take a look at his foot.