PDA

View Full Version : Depressed..need some advice

michellerose1579
08-22-2008, 04:05 PM
:( After much planning, I have come to the conclusion that it will not be possible :( for us to go to Disney in January, for my birthday :( boohoo...
So, I have decided to start planning the trip for later in the year, so I have more time to save.
I would like to know some of your thoughts on where I should look at staying. My dream is to stay at the Polynesian overlooking the water, but I know that is costly. What about a room at the Contemporary? I would love to stay on the monorail. Animal Kingdom Lodge?? I just dont know...

ravsluvdisney
08-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Since cost seems to be a factor, but you are still looking for a higher end feel I would go with the WL! The resort is really stunning, the location is great and the price is more reasonable than either the Poly or Contemporary but you are still in the MK resort area. Good luck with your decision!

Jasper
08-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Don't feel too bad about delaying your trip, we have been trying to get back there for the last three years and every time we get something scheduled I end up having another back surgery!

Anyway, the best thing to do is sit down with the family and make a list of those things that you absolutely must have in a resort and another list for what things you would like to have in a resort. Of course, price must be one of the items on one of those two lists.

Then starting with one list or the other go through and strike off those resorts that don't fit that list. Then do the same with the other list. Once you have gone through both lists you will likely be down to one or two resorts and the choice should be fairly easy at that point.

We find that doing this sort of system helps us stay on budget, have appropriate expectations of what we are getting, and results in a whole lot less arguing.

danicafan
08-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Oh that is so sad that you can't celebrate your birthday in January at Disney World. I really wanted to stay at the WL but with 12 of us going and some have children/some don't we made the decision to stay at POP! instead. Especially since we will really just be in the rooms to sleep, I figured I would rather celebrate my 40th BDay with breakfast at Chef Mickeys and stay at a Value Resort instead of not going at all.

lawgirl
08-22-2008, 04:44 PM
We love AKL and WL. I personally think that the CR and the Poly are overpriced for what they are. Its convenient to be located on the monorail, but I love the seclusion and privacy of the AKL and WL. They are both pretty reasonably priced, and the architecture is amazing. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these! Sorry about your trip in Jan being cancelled...hopefully things will work out for you to go later!

Crow
08-22-2008, 05:33 PM
any Disney resort is great for a birthday. Ive stayed a few times on birthdays, but sometimes havent been able to so went at other times....that will give you more time to save.
I havent been able to afford Poly. This will b my first time at Cont so I can let you know after my trip in Sept.
I love WL. AKL isnt bad either but WL much better for me. but the mods or values arent bad either.

JoDisney
08-22-2008, 05:43 PM
The WL courtyard view is a choice you should consider. You would overlook the pool and the geyser or WLV pool. In some of those rooms you can see the electric parade as it passes. However, you can always go down to their beach to enjoy the water parade. You have boat transportation to MK. You will not have the monorail, but this resort is less expensive and close to MK. Check out "info central" (accomodations) for a more detailed description of this resort.

lighteningqueen
08-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Question??? Can you see the ectrical parade from the POP? We are staying at Music but thought we could go down there and see it. If it were up to me if we could go in Jan all depending on money spent, I would stay at a Value and be going no matter what. The Music is a really good clean quiet place to stay, even though its not ,like AKL WL, its still magical and colorful and much more affordable. Well I say that our suite is $207 night so thats no cheap.But we loved it there.

caryrae
08-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Just to give you an idea. I looked at staying at the CR for 8 nights and for a room-only 2 adults with a AAA discount it was almost $2600. So instead we are doing a split stay 4 nights at Coronado and 4 at the Contemporary which ended up being around $1800. We are going Sept/Oct 2009.

Check with Magical Journey's, they helped me alot with booking our trip.

Also I think value season ends beginning of Oct. so the price will go up some after that.

andreallybadeggs
08-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Second the motion for working with MJ. Give them an idea of your budget and taste and they will get you the most bang for your buck.:thumbsup:

kemps@wdw
08-26-2008, 09:45 PM
As you can see, we LUV :cloud9: the WL. We are a 2-park-a-day family and usually break mid-day. So we have a tendency to use our resort a little more. And relaxing on our balcony overlooking the WL courtyard is a fave activity of ours, wether it be during the day (watching the kids @ the pool), or night. The last room we had also overlooked Bay Lake. It just seems that we spend a little less time on transportation when we stay @ WL. And the atmosphere is just soooooo soothing! Although price is a big consideration for us, we're wiling to spend a little more for the WL. After all, we work hard to save for our WDW journey, and we want it to be as magical as possible! :thumbsup:

sophie peach
08-27-2008, 04:01 AM
if i had the money i would stay at WL! its amazing !!!

laward32
08-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Oh, I know how you feel. My birthday is Jan 9 and I was hoping to get to Disney for my birthday too. But its not going to happen for me either. I am looking at later in the year as well with a land/sea package. I really want to stay at the Poly as well, but its a little up there in price. I think like previous posters have said, I am going to look at WL. Its my second choice anyway. Hope you get there next year too.:mickey:

pamickeys
08-28-2008, 11:11 AM
crunch the numbers on a value resort, I bet they will look alot more doable. remember it's just a room.

caryrae
08-28-2008, 11:19 AM
crunch the numbers on a value resort, I bet they will look alot more doable. remember it's just a room.

I got a qoute from MJ for 8 nights at POP during the value season end of Sept and with a AAA discount it was under $700 total for 2 adults.