PDA

View Full Version : Made ADR's for First Time

thrillme
08-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Ok...All the talk about ADR's on intercot I actually made them for our October trip.

I got nervous about not being able to get in anywhere after reading several posts. It will be hubby's first trip so I wanted to be sure we get to show him some of our favorite places.

In the past we just show up get a table whereever. The ONLY time I ever had a problem with walking up was 2 years ago in "Germany". We couldn't get in for nuthin'. But it sounds like it's gotten pretty bad.

NOW...I made 1 ADR per day. 1 at Bomas for when we arrive then 1 at the different parks. That one's fine...but the others...NOW I suddenly feel like I've been backed into a corner. What if we're not at that park? What if we're not hungry? What if we don't feel like eating there. Boma's I'm good with because that's my ONLY plan for the day other than checking into the hotel. but the others...well...I think we may end up with some slots open. I think I can handle breakfast at Animal Kingdom "Tusker House" because it's at 10:30. We should be getting a bit hungry then. We'll have time to do a few rides then get a bite and do more rides.

Vacations are where I usually end up losing weight...I honestly forget to eat and I will happily walk from one end of the park to the other.

I guess for the most part we'll walk up and if we can't get in then will do the reservation time. If we do get in then we'll just tell them to CANCEL. If we're nearby and we change our minds will stop by and cancel.

SIGH...I REALLY REALLY miss those days where you just made your reservations THAT day.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-22-2008, 02:13 AM
We've done the dining plan twice (not during the free dining offer). And you are correct, we basically planned both trips around our ADR's. That is one of the trade-offs to the DDP, you really have to be organized. It's getting more and more difficult to just walk up and dine, you really need the ADR's. So I've found myself mapping out a weeks worth of park schedules and synching that up with desired and eventually booked ADR's. Sometimes it can actaully get a bit stressful, especially if your dining is not in the park you are spending the day at. The DDP can definitely be more than worth it, but you have to go into it with eyes wide open.

If I could make one suggestion. If you don't want to get tied down to dining every night, think about skipping a night or two and then booking an ADR at a signature restaraunt using 2TS. That way you can free up evening to do whatever takes your fancy, while at the same time you can still take full advantage of the DDP and try some fancy restaraunts (I can recommend Yachtsman Steakhouse (YC) and Artist Point (WL). This is something we did to create "free" nights for us.

thrillme
08-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Currently I don't have the DDP...I was wavering as to wether to get it or not. I've been going over "menus" and tallying up the "costs". Right now I'm not sure the dining plan will save much. I'm running all sorts of numbers on that. I had allotted $30 per person for a table service but the complication there is that we tend to like appetizers and no deserts. I really prefer table service to counter service but you can't exchange 2 counters for a table but you can exchange 2 tables for a signature table. But I have no signature table I really really want to go to.

Then since we'll be using Magical Express and no car this time...I'm not all that keen on leaving the parks...except for the night we arrive we'll use a cab to get us to Boma's in time. (I hope my husband can "whistle" loud enough because I can't whistle for nuthin'.)

There just seems to be so much PRESSURE surrounding these ADR's. I made them at times that are most comfortable for us but...I'm not 100% how much counter service we'll for. We usually just get one BIG meal and perhaps an occasional ice cream.

BMan62
08-22-2008, 11:11 AM
It may not be too bad for you to try and get walk-ups in October, other than in Epcot eateries (Food & Wine Festival is in full swing,) but most of the time you are going to lose out if you don't have ADRs. The DDP has become very popular and has created problems getting in to most of the more popular restaurants.

Understandably, this takes a lot of the spontaneity out of your vacation. Just go with the flow, make whatever ADRs you can, and see what happens.

AmandaChan
08-22-2008, 11:20 AM
I know how you feel. The husband made several reservations (everyday, sometimes twice a day) for our last trip. While it was fun eating at most of the restaurants I'm really not the biggest eating out kind of girl. We actually ended up canceling a couple of our ADR's and that was okay for us. If you have reservation for a certain time in the evening and you feel like eating a couple hours early I would say give it a shot and see if you can get in early, odds are they'll be able to squeeze you in somewhere. I know we went to a couple of ours early and and they got us in without a long wait.

And if you decide you don't want to eat somewhere (this might upset some people) just cancel it! Odds are there are people like you that just want to slip right on in and they can give them that spot. For places like Le Celier I would keep my ADR and not cancel it because it's hard enough to get into that place as it is. And they probably wouldn't let you in early.

Also, I thought that making several ADR'S would dampen our freedom with the parks but it really wasn't THAT bad.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-22-2008, 11:51 AM
I think you already know the answer, and just need afirmation. The DDP is not for you, at least not on this trip. And honestly for us, now that gratuities are no longer included and after using it twice, we probably no longer will buy the DDP add-on.

For me, and this is only my opinion, the only restaraunts worth booking a TS at are at either EPCOT, the Boardwalk or the Deluxe resorts. I know others will argue that there are worth while restaraunts at the other three parks (and we've done Liberty Tree and Hollywood Brown Derby) but for me the ones I want the most are in the three areas I described. And on our last two visits we did ME and did not rent a car. Which means on a lot of days we were trying to go resort to resort for our ADRs, which can be done, but you have to plan and allow time. By the time you allow for transportation and then the actual meal, it's not unusual for 2-3 hours to expire.

I've defended the DDP and have taken the con side as well. It's a great plan, but it isn't for everyone.

It really sounds like that on this trip, the plan isn't for you. Don't feel guilty not adding it on.