PDA

View Full Version : WDW/DL allegiance

I take the Ferry
08-21-2008, 03:10 PM
For those of you who have been to both resorts...

I'm not asking you to love one and hate the other. Just which one you prefer to visit.

Lisaj13
08-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Geography has an influence here. Just because I live at practically the other end of the continent from WDW I can't visit very often, so I have more fond memories of DL.

But I'd really hate to pick one over the other. How about a tie?

I take the Ferry
08-21-2008, 03:18 PM
For each situation, if someone asked you "would you prefer to go to WDW or DL", an honest answer is all I ask.

scoot241
08-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Neither. Each has its own unique attributes.

WDW

Better for longer trips
Four parks
Very spread out
Almost impossible to see everything in one trip
DL

Compact area makes it easy to see just about everything in a few days
A good stop as part of a larger trip to California
Better for shorter trips
Both have rides that aren't included in the other (Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad, Expedition Everest to name a few). Some rides are better at one than the other (PotC, ToT).

Therefore, I have no "allegiance". Both are great places to take a vacation. :thumbsup:

All that being said, I go to WDW more because it's closer.

Mousemates
08-21-2008, 03:20 PM
I answered, "I grew up going to WDW and have vistited DL, I prefer WDW over DL." However, I say that with a qualifier, for while I much prefer the overall experience of WDW with four parks over DL with two....I do like the DL version of the magic kingdom better. But overall, WDW just has so much more to offer.

Jasper
08-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Geography has an influence here. Just because I live at practically the other end of the continent from WDW I can't visit very often, so I have more fond memories of DL.

But I'd really hate to pick one over the other. How about a tie?

How right you are! Being in Indiana a trip to WDW is much more doable than one to DL so naturally WDW is our favorite. The question is also a little unfair because you have so much more to do at WDW then at DL and that includes both parks as well as resorts.

I chose WDW as my favorite in the poll only because there wasn't a choice for liking both.

Polynesian Dweller
08-21-2008, 03:46 PM
I didn't vote because I can't really say I prefer one over the other. First, they are different style of resorts and not really comparable. One's big and widely spread out (WDW) and the other (DL) is more compact and Walt's original is there.

I first went to DL as a very young child in 1958 so it occupies a very important place in my life for me. WDW is closer now so I go to it more frequently and is very significant to both of us for a couple of reasons. So we enjoy both equally when we are there, just a difference in frequency of visit due to geography.

Lizzie
08-21-2008, 04:05 PM
I grew up going to DL and have started going to DW only in the past 8 years. DL will always have a special place in my heart and it is easier and more manageable with little kids.

But DW is a true getaway and seems like more of a vacation. So I would always pick DW if I had a choice. But right now we can do DL for less money.

Soul_Power
08-21-2008, 04:20 PM
I chose "I grew up going to DL and have visited WDW, I prefer WDW over DL." It's not that I don't like Disneyland - some of my fondest memories as a child were spent there. I went to WDW for the first time last year, and I was convinced that it blew Disneyland out of the water! I thought I'd never be able to go back to Disneyland again because I wouldn't be satisfied.
I read a point that someone made that really changed my mind, though.. Walt Disney actually walked down Main Street at Disneyland, and that's really special. So rather than saying, "WDW is sooo much better," I now think that it's like comparing apples and oranges. There are things about each park that makes it equally special/unique!

E-OR
08-21-2008, 04:41 PM
We had always planned our vacations going to DL until one year my husband decided we should try WDW. We fell in love with Florida and WDW. We love having four parks and two water parks to choose from as well as all the restaurants. We like staying on Disney property and find it much cheaper to choose from the resorts at WDW rather than the few choices at DL. Even though we are closer to DL we will always choose WDW.

Ian
08-21-2008, 04:47 PM
No contest for me ... I grew up going to WDW, but when I went to DL for the first time a few years ago it reminded me of what a Disney theme park should be (and what WDW once was).

For me, DL just pointed out all the obvious flaws and failings of WDW.

MNNHFLTX
08-21-2008, 05:10 PM
I honestly can't choose--I like both equally for different reasons.

SFTrny
08-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Kind of an unfair comparison. Better to compare MK and DL.

Vito
08-22-2008, 12:11 AM
I have to say that I do prefer WDW (I'll explain in a moment). The first time I ever visited a Disney resort was age 15 (WDW). Since that time, I've been every year or two years, but haven't been back since 2004 (I'll be there again in Sept for the first time in 4 years).

I visited DL for the first time 3 years ago, and have spent a month out in California in each of the last 3 years, spending a lot of time at both DL and DCA.

I love both resorts. Without a doubt, both coasts offer a great experience, and are very similar.

DL has many charms that WDW doesn't have, and there's always that unique knowledge of the history at DL that WDW doesn't have (little touches like the boarded up mine train caves, etc).

However, in the end, if I had to choose one resort to visit, I'd pick WDW without hesitation, and for several reason. It's not that DL/DCA don't hold up under the competition with WDW. It's moreso about the resort experience as a whole. WDW is just so much it's own world. DLR is like a little pocket in the middle of Anaheim, CA. WDW is like it's own, separate world when you visit. There's not one piece of the outside world that creeps in when you're at WDW. Nothing. It's 100% Disney. At DL, if you ride the monorail, you see the surrounding city. At DCA, you can often see parts of Anaheim including the Convention Center across the street, etc.

And it's not that those things necessarily take away from the DLR experience, but there's just something that's so magical about feeling like you're on a whole different planet when you're at WDW. This isolated, magical place in the middle of "nowhere". DLR just doesn't have that same isolation, and even though most of the time there's no intrusion of the outside world, it's still in the back of your mind the whole time that there's the city of Anaheim right outside the berm.

But that alone isn't the sole reason for me preferring WDW. Part of it is also the fact that there are 4 parks to visit, and for me, Epcot and DHS are just so different, so unique in visual style and atmosphere. Strolling around both those parks at night is a sensational feeling - you're literally in a whole different world. It's just a feeling that was never replicated for me at DL or DCA.

I think that WDW benefitted greatly from the expanse of land they had to work with. It's allowed them to construct huge parks like Epcot or AK with large expanses, without risking the outside world mucking up the illusion of being in a different world.

As far as attractions goes, really WDW doesn't have that much of an edge over DL, although there are some e-tickets at WDW that I missed at DL (Test track, Mission Space, RnR Coaster, etc), DLR does have some good attractions that can't be found at WDW (Indy, Screamin', etc).

But like I said, it's more about the expansive variety that the resort as a whole offers. In addition to the huge property, the fact that there are 4 parks, all so different while all being an absolute joy to just stroll around - it's just a cut above the somewhat limited variety of DLR's offerings.

And don't get me wrong, I absolutely love DLR, and am very happy that I've been able to experience it. I don't feel any of this "rivalry" or "competition" that so many people want to try and make between the two resorts. It's like many people have to choose one park over the other, and they're not allowed to dearly love both of them. I think of them both like family, and while I do prefer WDW to DLR, I adore them both and I don't need to put down one to build up the other.

So anyway, that's pretty much why WDW is my preference. I don't think it's so much that WDW was my "home" Disney resort as much as it is those factors of variety, space, isolation, and overal wide-range of styles.

ChipnDaleGal
08-22-2008, 09:38 AM
I honestly prefer Disneyland to WDW, but I still love WDW very much. I started taking my daughter to WDW when she was 4. She just turned 18 this week and we have gone to WDW at least once every year together. It holds so many good and happy memories for me of time we were able to spend together unencumbered by the outside world and all the responsibilities that go along with it. So WDW will always be near and dear to my heart. However, when I went to DL for my first extended visit two years ago I was totally captivated by the charm and vibe it gives off. It really is the Happiest Place on Earth. I wish I could transplant some of WDW attractions (Philharmagic, TTA, Everest) to California. And I think that WDW generally has better restaurant selections. But for the pure joy factor involved, I would choose DL over WDW. I decided not to vote, as it felt a little like picking your favorite child. Both resorts are very much the same and yet so very different, and I love them both.

GrmGrninGost
08-22-2008, 10:27 AM
I love them both, but WDW is just so much larger with more to do! :mickey:

Ian
08-22-2008, 10:35 AM
I read a point that someone made that really changed my mind, though.. Walt Disney actually walked down Main Street at Disneyland, and that's really special.That was probably me, as I make that statement often when this discussion comes up.

It stems from an experience I had in the Emporium in DL. I was looking at one of those black and white poster/picture things they sell and it was a picture of Walt bending down to talk to a little boy.

I looked up from the picture, looked out the window and was looking at the exact spot where the photo was taken. I got major goosebumps.

When you walk into DL and look over at the light burning in the window of the firehouse that was once Walt's apartment ... that's an experience you'll never be able to re-create at WDW.

DL is Audrey Hepburn. WDW is Britney Spears.

Vito
08-23-2008, 04:13 AM
DL is Audrey Hepburn. WDW is Britney Spears.Any analogy that equates WDW to Britney Spears, in any way, is very flawed. ;)

MrsAndre
08-23-2008, 11:38 AM
If geography and the cost of transportation wasn't an issue - I'd prefer to go to Disneyland almost everytime :cloud9:
But being on the eastcoast, I'm thrilled to be able to go to WDW.

slegrant
08-23-2008, 11:53 AM
I grew up going to WDW, but finally had a chance to visit Disneyland with my wife. Knowing what a huge fan of Walt Disney I was she wanted me to see where it all started. I loved Disneyland, however when I go on vacation to WDW, there is no outside influence, it's 100% magic. When we were at Disneyland (anniversary trip)we stayed at the Grand Californian with an incredible view off DCA, however I also saw Anaheim. The next year we went to WDW and stayed at the Grand Floridian (anniversary trip) and from our balcony we could see the magic kingdom, the contempoary, monorails and boats. It was awesome. I am very spoiled growing up going to WDW and being emersed in all that is DIsney, it really feels like a vaction when you are there. I will soon take my kids to DL so that they may see it as well, but WDW is our favorite.

laward32
08-23-2008, 12:32 PM
I grew up with DL and my last trip was for New Years Eve of 98. My first visit to WDW was in 05, and I have been a total of 3 times and I can't get enough. I stil l love DL because it was my first taste of Mickey & Disney, but WDW is so much more.:mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
08-23-2008, 12:53 PM
We went to DLR for the first time last Dec., and I fell in love with it. I never once had to get on a bus - DH took the shuttle - I scooted , and beat him every time.

We're going to WDW again this Dec., and I can hardly wait, BUT DL is only six hours away, so if the airline situation gets too bad, I'll just get in my ECV and take off on I-10.:D

How long would that take at 12 mi a day?

dtootsie42
08-23-2008, 12:57 PM
I have been to both and though I enjoy Disneyland I LOVE Disneyworld. Nothing can beat the world. :mickey:

Mickey91
08-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I have only been to WDW.:(

MickeysEars
08-25-2008, 09:10 PM
I grew up in Ca and went to WDW for my honeymoon and have been a convert ever since. I have returned to DL since and found myself missing Epcot and AK...I feel like a traitor but I can't help myself

Melanie
08-26-2008, 02:13 AM
I enjoy the California experience so much, but we are really looking forward to returning to WDW soon. I dare say though, if Epcot were to magically move to Anaheim, I'm not sure we'd venture to WDW that much anymore.

Mrs Bus Driver
08-26-2008, 11:31 AM
I voted for DL and I have been to both. I know WDW has a lot to offer, but I grew up near DL and it will always have a special place in my heart :heart:. Also of the rides they share most are better at DL. IMHO only TOT is better at WDW. That said my next trip is to WDW and I look forward to all the new rides there (my last trip to the world was 2002) and I haven't been to DL to ride TSMA. :mickey:

MMouse6937
08-26-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm often in the minority but I was really disappointed in DL after having been to WDW so many times. I know some have stated that WDW is worse than DL but I see it the exact opposite. DL was Walt's mistake and WDW is where he made it all right. DL was done on a shoestring budget and he kicked himself so much for not being able to aquire enough land to make DL a vacation "destination" and not plopped right in the middle of a bustling town. Too much congestion for me. I like to drive under those gates and know I'm there. Nothing to spoil my Disney magic. We went to DL a few years ago and although I got the whole charm and the fact that Walt actually "walked" there, it just didn't do it for me. I remember DH asking me where the castle was and when he saw it he asked me if that was it (this was his first trip to DL). That cracked me up. We are just WDW people, it suits our vacation style more. I try not to use words like better or worse and I sure wouldn't compare WDW with Brittney Spears, but I just wasn't impressed with DL and I'm sure we'll go back but probably not for another 8-10 years.