PDA

View Full Version : Is feeling this anxious normal?

LauraF
08-21-2008, 01:34 PM
(I was going to ask if I were normal in the title to this thread, but I know the answer . . . no! :D)

I'm closing on my first house next week and I'm a nervous wreck. The mortgage broker says I'm clear to close and that I have only the "haybale sized" pile of paperwork to sign at closing before they hand me the keys.

I love the place and wouldn't change a thing (ok, except to add a window to the master bath) so it's not buyer's remorse. It's one of the best places I could have gotten for my money in my area. My income is more than enough to pay my bills with the mortgage added in, but I'm still worried about having enough money. I've proven I can handle the responsibility of owning a place, yet I'm afraid of something going wrong I can't handle. Everyone tells me I should be excited about having a house that is mine and grows equity for me instead of my landlord, but instead I'm so nervous about something going wrong I can't sleep. I think I'm probably going to sit and cry after closing rather than be elated. :cry:

Honestly, it's like being manic-depressive. One minute I'm excited about moving into a nicer place that I own, and then next I want to move into my parents' basement to hide and never see the light of day again.

So did anyone else feel that way before they bought their first house or am I just making myself nervous needlessly?

Ian
08-21-2008, 01:45 PM
You're totally and completely normal, trust me.

The two most nerve-wracking days in your life are the day you agree to buy your first house and the day you bring your first child home from the hospital and realize that you're now in charge of someone else's life.

Very scary and very, very normal to feel that way. But you'll be fine. You sound like you've really got it together and are more than prepared for this big first step on the road to becoming a "grown-up"! :thumbsup:

LauraleeH
08-21-2008, 01:49 PM
First of all, congratulations!!! :thumbsup:

Second, yes...it's completely normal to freak out a little. Don't worry about something that may or may not happen until it actually happens! ;)

Jasper
08-21-2008, 02:10 PM
:ditto:

I would say that Ian has hit it pretty much on the head. Owning your own home is definitely a big deal in your life. Not only are you taking on the financial responsibility but you are also making a statement to the world that now you are a grown up and are going to start into a more settled part of life. So yeah, that is all heavy stuff to wrap your head around and can make your anxiety level really climb.

If you are like most people, once you get caught up in the details of moving in and setting it up the way you like, and after you make a few payments the anxiety will likely come back down. Just remember to stop and take few deep breaths along the way and enjoy the moment and everything will work out just fine.

Itchy
08-21-2008, 02:28 PM
I will tell you that your feelings are completely normal.

I closed on my current home which was the 4th since I was 20 years old. Lets see that was how many years ago.

Well we wont go into that.

I closed on my current home as a single person after 27 years of marriage. My worst nightmare occurred when my lender decided two weeks before closing to bail on me leaving me with out a loan. I had the home built and if I defaulted it was going to hit me with a ton of money to pay the builder that I did not have.

Well to make a long story short I was directed to a lender by the builder that got me the loan and closed in the two week time frame. The paper work part of the closing will take the longest, but is worth it.

Yes I do have gray hair and some of it from the experience.

By all means enjoy the experience of receiving your keys and walking into you own home that you can do with what you want with out a land lord to upset.

As they say " Don't worry, be happy ":mickey:

Good luck with your new home.

prprincess
08-21-2008, 02:32 PM
OMG, yes, you are normal!! Like the others have said, it happens to most of us because of the fact that it is such a big decision. But I think that once you are moved in, and things settle down, you will look back on the entire experience and think that it was all worth it.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

crazypoohbear
08-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Congrats on your new home!
When's the house warming party???
What you are feeling is completely normal.
When my sister bought her house she was sleepless for several nights. SHe said she was breaking out into cold sweats.
She bought her house by her self and is the only one paying for it so she was quite nervous about taking care of everything herself.
Everything will work out and you will be fine, Just like she was. After a few weeks of being in your new home all your anxiety will leave and you'll be fine.
Enjoy your new purchase

jenny1976
08-21-2008, 03:28 PM
OMG!!! You're totally normal, TOTALLY...(I hope so for my sake :blush:)
We closed on our first home after 4 years of marriage and I was anxious until we made our first payment and it was on time :number1:. A house is a huge deal, let it sink in...It'll go away and you'll be able to enjoy it!!!;) It is a wonderful feelling!!
CONGRATS :thumbsup:

Stich8818
08-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Yes as the other posters said It is perfectly normal. The fear that got me was worring something was going to go wrong with the 2 foot stack of paperworka and the loan. But it's amazing how much you have to keep up with. Like it seems like when you get one thing done another thing rears it's ugly head.

LauraF
08-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks everybody. Your responses did make me feel *much* better. I have to remind myself that I'm not the first to pass through this challenge. And based on how long and hard as I've worked for this, it WILL be successful.

None of my friends my age have houses, so they don't understand what I'm going through (or don't care) and my parents think it's funny to tell all their "closing horror stories."

Thanks for the mini-pep talks. :thumbsup:

I think I'll go be excited again for a while and paint the house in my imagination for the umpteenth time. That's a good low risk distraction. :-)

Mousefever
08-21-2008, 08:51 PM
You are so normal! My sister is going through the exact same thing. She has always been extremely conscientious about her money, with a good amount saved and in investments. She maxes out her 401K every year.

Well, now she's buying her 1st house. She's had to pull most of her money out of savings to put down a good chunk, and to fix a few things before she moves in. She is freaking out more than I've ever seen before. She feels very poor and very anxious.

So no, you are not alone, and you're very normal. Congratulations on the new house!

Amy

:dory:

TheDuckRocks
08-22-2008, 11:20 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Yes, all those exciting and negetive thoughts and feelings are prefectly normal. Now get some sleep as you are going to soon be very busy getting all moved in.

ncscgirl2005
08-24-2008, 12:59 AM
OMG...I cannot begin to tell you the amount sleep I lost during "that" time of the home buying process. What you are feeling is completely normal. Once you have those keys in your hands you will feel much better!