PDA

View Full Version : Poly to POR Some help please!!

Belle1217
08-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi everyone well I am in need of some advice. My family of 5 (DH, DD9, DS7, DS4) will be going to Disney Nov.30-Dec.6. We were booked to stay at the Poly MK view. Then we did some major home renovation projects this year. We also had a pool put in about 2 months ago and my DH thought that we should cancel our trip. So the other day after agreeing the night before that we would cancel our trip I get an email from Disney with the pin code. I called and I could not use it for the Poly but I could use it for the Port Orleans Riverside Alligator Bayou. I know thats a big jump from the Poly but I figured hey at least I'm in Disney right. But after spending months looking at pics and reading everything possible about the Poly I dont know anything about POR.

So any help would be great. Should i ask for any certain building? Is everything really spread out? Long walks to pool? Any info would be great.

I am slightly heartbroken that I will not be in the Poly!! Maybe next time!!:mickey:

mook3y
08-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Our first trip to WDW we stayed in Building 14 at POR.

It is in Alligator Bayou and has the trundle beds. It is a short walk from there to the food court and bus stop.

We really enjoyed our stay there. They offer cane pole fishing by the pool which is nice for a little break. Taking the boat to DTD is a nice relaxing break from the busses.

Our only complaint was that getting from POR to another resort for dinner proved to take a LONG time for us. But, we overcame that by just taking a cab.

I would say the biggest difference you might notice will be that the beds are not Queens at POR. I think they are full size? or double? lol get those confused. I just know that my wife and I are used to a king bed and when on anything smaller than a queen, we sleep on different beds.

Over all, I certainly would stay there again!

felix18
08-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Hey it's Disney and that is better than staying home!! I have stayed twice at POR and really enjoyed both times, once in the Mansions and once in AB with 10 year old grandson-he thought the trundle bed was just about perfect!! The walk to the pool and food court did not seem to long, we were in building 38 and had a bus stop right in back of the building. The main pool is very large with a slide and you can also walk over to POFQ and will be able to use the pool there. There is also a boat to Downtown Disney, nice ride and faster than the bus!! Enjoy and have a great trip:mickey:

KAT1811
08-21-2008, 02:19 PM
I have not stayed at POR but I agree with PPs that any resort in WDW is better than not going all together. Plus it seems like the only on site resort you have stayed at is an All Star so the moderate category is still a step up and very nice. I think you will be just fine. Go and enjoy yourselves! Than on your next trip you can upgrade yet again and try the Poly!

Belle1217
08-21-2008, 06:30 PM
The trundle bed was one of my main concerns. My kids saw a picture and they all said they did not want to sleep that close to the floor. Maybe it just looked bad in the pic. Also how far of a walk is it to the POFQ pool? When I booked it they said we could use that pool also.

felix18
08-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Walk to POFQ takes about 10-15 minutes depending on how fast you want to walk, you could also ride the boat but check first to be sure they will be stopping there. Trundle bed is low to the floor but not too bad--nobody has to worry about falling out!!!:mickey:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-22-2008, 02:02 AM
I've always found that walking the grounds of POR is one of the most relaxing walks of all the moderates. The grounds are beautifully themed and the main food court and pool are centrally located. POR has both a food court area and a sit down restaraunt (Boatwrights).

We stayed in AB, building 18, perfect for food court, bus pick up, quiet pool and main pool.

As mentioned, the boat ride down the Sassgagoula river from POR & POFQ to DTD is something special and not to be found at most other resorts.

POR & POFQ share a bus, so that could be a problem, but if you have your own car, it's a mute point.

Although certainly not the Poly, POR is still a wonderful resort and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

mrsgaribaldi
08-22-2008, 07:56 AM
The Poly is my favorite too but I've only stayed there once. I would rather be in Disney at a value or moderate than have to skip a trip to save money for the Poly. You will love POR. We've been there many times. It's really nice there too.:thumbsup: I don't know where you should ask for a room, we usually just go where they assign us.:mickey: I really like the food court at POR and the bar. Bob the piano player is great fun, even for the kids and it's very relaxing to sit in the bar and grab a drink and a snack. ;)