PDA

View Full Version : Next DVC Resort (other than Contemporary)?

diz_girl
08-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Now that SSR is sold out, the new Contemporary toewer is under construction, and AKV are currently for sale, what will most likely be the next DVC location? Would it be the Tree House Villas or another monorail resort? Has anyone heard any rumblings?

Why I'm asking is that I'd like to buy into DVC within the next couple of years. Now that our DS is born (and at least one more child is planned), we plan on visiting WDW every other year. And we like to stay at Deluxe resorts, so buying into DVC would most likely make sense for us.

I'm staying at WL in December with a large party (4 rooms), so I don't need to buy DVC now and use points for that trip. Our next trip probably won't be until sometime in late 2010 or maybe even 2011, so I don't need to purchase DVC right away.

We stay at MK resorts, so purchasing a resale at VWL or new at CR would be the options that I would most likely have. However, if another DVC offering is being planned for the Poly or GF, I might buy there instead (or buy some points at two resorts and resort hop).

I'm the kind of person that extensivvely researches something before making a decision, so that's why I'm asking about information for a decision that I won't make for another two to three years.

Any information or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

lockedoutlogic
08-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Nothing more than a guess....

But once the Four seasons is completed....Disney will not too subtlely drop the guise of "Luxury Hotel" from the Grand Floridian.....

Very shortly there after (5-10 years :)) you will see two beautiful new DVC units at the Grand and the Poly.....

It is where the customer is leading them to go....coupled with Disney's operating policies....

They've never been willing to pay the overhead necessary to staff business class or luxury hotels......now Bill Gates and a Saudi Prince are doing it for them....

That will allow for more Disney-fying of their two most prime Magic Kingdom properties....

It's what the people want....though there are lots of weddings and conventions that go off there well......people buy and large still like it because it's disney.....complete with above ground Choo-Choo and Fiberglass Castle out the window.....

It also maximizes use of two resorts that are very "small" by the WDW standards created with later, larger resorts....

space may be an issue...but i think they will solve that problem without too much hoopla

just a guess....

lockedoutlogic
08-21-2008, 08:48 PM
also....i should have stated this above.....that's where i see the next WDW DVC going....

as far as DVC as a whole......i think paradise island in the bahamas......the walt disney-coveted ski resort.....and a european location to all be distinct possibilities in the not too distant future....

also....with Oahu getting a DVC site.....the could put one in Japan and offer Hawaii, Honshu, and California to Japanese Disney nuts.....probably would sell

diz_girl
08-22-2008, 10:13 AM
also....i should have stated this above.....that's where i see the next WDW DVC going....

I did mean WDW DVC. Sorry that I didn't clarify that in my original post.

I'd love for it to be the Poly or GF. I can see the space constraints, at least inside the monorail track, unless they convert current hotel units into DVC units, like they did for some units for AKV. But I'm not sure that there is any excess capacity at either the Poly or GF that could be used for DVC units.

The only places inside the monorail track at the Poly are at the parking lot near the TTC or over by Luau Cove. As for the GF, there is room for another building about the size of the Sugarloaf Key building in between the beach pool and the beach next to the Wedding Pavilion. The beach can be altered slightly to make room for the building. However, I don't know how thrilled couples getting married would be to see construction going on right next to the Wedding Pavilion. Other than that, there's just no room at all near GF. However, I think that it has to be either the Poly or GF. They're the only two deluxe resorts that won't have DVC units attached to them, if BLT will indeed become a DVC resort. I count the YC as having the BCV, since the BC/YC is essentially one resort.

Other than the original OKW, it seems that Disney, at least at WDW, is adding DVC units to an existing resort or converting an old resort (like SSR from the Disney Institute), so it's just a question of which resort is next. Yes, they're bringing back the Treehouse Villas, but I can't see that as their next big announcement after the Contemporary. There are only 60 units there, which is limiting.

Also, I'm seeing that any rooms at BLT, or at any future DVC resort at the Poly or GF will probably have much higher point requirements, maybe 25-50% higher. But that's just IMO.

Roo Girl
09-04-2008, 04:00 PM
They are bringing BACK the treehouse villas? I heard on a podcast that those were quickly going away for SSR expansion. Plus the treehouses don't have proper access for everyone and aren't the best design (though I think they are neato!)

Maleficent's Dad
09-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Other than the original OKW, it seems that Disney, at least at WDW, is adding DVC units to an existing resort or converting an old resort (like SSR from the Disney Institute), so it's just a question of which resort is next.
The Boardwalk Resort was constructed primarily as a DVC Resort. The Inn side, while constructed simultaneously, was not the primary focus of the resort.

They are bringing BACK the treehouse villas? I heard on a podcast that those were quickly going away for SSR expansion. Plus the treehouses don't have proper access for everyone and aren't the best design (though I think they are neato!)
Yes - Disney IS bringing them back!
The old treehouse villas have been demolished. Disney has already brought in the first wave of new treehouse villas - prefab units.

danwiora
09-07-2008, 11:37 AM
sorry what exactly are the tree house villas?>

Maleficent's Dad
09-07-2008, 09:29 PM
sorry what exactly are the tree house villas?>
The Treehouse Villas were unique accomodations which were situated not far from DTD. They were "absorbed" by the Disney Institute in the 1990's, and have been visible to those travelling via ferry from OKW, POR, or POFQ to DTD. If you played golf on LBV Golf Course, the 17th (I think! :scratch:) hole runs adjacent to the structures. Sometime after 9/11, the villas were abandoned as a guest accomodation, and for several years were used to house college program students or foreign workers (think EPCOT). In the past year or so, they've been completely abandoned and rumors ran rampant. Disney is currently demolishing the old villas, and replacing them with pre-fab units which are supposedly similar. However, I've read that the new units are significantly smaller in size than the former units.

Since I cannot post online, I'm sending you a PM with pics and some basic info on these very unique structures. :mickey: