PDA

View Full Version : Computer Virus HELP!

Mr. Brass Bonanza
08-20-2008, 05:17 PM
I have a virus and/or spyware on my laptop, and it's preventing me from visiting any antivirus site. This stinks because I have free McAfee with COx that I just got today, but this virus hit me this afternoon and now I can't get to the site to download the software. It's fine on my other PC, so I know the virus is preventing me from going to those site.

How can I get this off my PC?

Thanks,
Mark

Strmchsr
08-20-2008, 05:40 PM
Mark, you might have to go through a backdoor site that the virus doesn't recognize as being anti-virus like Cnet's site. Another option might be to try another browser. If you're using IE, then download Firefox, if possible, as it tends to be less prone to these kinds of attacks. Other than those options, the only other option would be to have a disk copy of AV software and install it from the disk instead of downloading.

brownie
08-20-2008, 06:33 PM
You could download the installation files to a flash drive using your other pc, then install them on your laptop using a flash drive.

Try AVG Free 8.0 through cnet's download site if you have to use your laptop to install the anti-virus software from the internet. Once you have your laptop clean, you could then install the McAfee stuff. You might want to check to see if you can create a boot disc through McAfee that would scan your computer when it starts and correct any problems.

DestinationWDW
08-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Create a new user an log on as that new user, make sure that you grant administrator permission. This will create a new profile, make copy any inmportant data over to the new profile. For example photos, music and any documents. To do this, double click on my computer, then double click on the c:\ next double click on documents and setting. Find your user name copy any folder that is important to the same folder under the new user u just created. DO NOT copy the NTUSER.dat file or any *.INI files, you should be asked skip. If you have a lot of data I recommend you download a small app called viseversa, this is a copy utility that works very well and fast. Once you have all your important documents and files copied to the new location Delete your old profile/username. this will delete any virus that is linked to your profile. Now download any virus protection you want. I recommend Trend Micro they also offer a free utility on line called house call. This will clean any remaining viruses or adware left on your machine.

Good luck

Mr. Brass Bonanza
08-22-2008, 10:18 AM
The virus attacked when I was on my side, but my wife has the sane problems when she goes on her side as well. Should I still try to create a new user and delete the other two?

DestinationWDW
08-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi Mr. Brass Bonanza

Yes, but make sure you Backup all the data from all your profiles. Then once all the data is backup go ahead and delete the profiles except for the new one you created. Then before you copy any data back to your pc run a virus scan and adaware remover. You can also run it on you files you backed up.

Most viruses live in the profile, some will infect certain areas of the hard drive you as a normal user don't have access to. But cleaning that area is difficult and usually you have to rebuild the computer.