PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from DL, comparison to WDW

grwoolf
08-20-2008, 04:04 PM
We just spent 4 days at DL Resort and thought I would share some comparison/contrast with WDW. We've been to WDW many times.

We normally stay at WL or Poly while at WDW, but stayed off site at DL since we could still be right across the street within walking distance to both park entrances.

There were a lot of things we liked and some we didn't, so here are the likes:

DL opens at 8am. This gave us at least 2-3 hours everyday before things got busy. With early entry at 7am(you don't need to be a resort guest), everything was a walk-on except Nemo Subs. I don't understand why they can't open the parks earlier at WDW, especially during the busy/hot months.

The park and rides are obviously maintained better at DL. Yes, I saw some trash and also saw some things not working on rides, but not to the degree of WDW. This was especially evident on the rides. It really bothers me at WDW when you see broken ride elements that stay broken for years. It kills me that Disney spends so much money designing all the intricate details on a ride and then does not spend the money to maintain the ride elements. Why bother spending the $ in the first place? Obvious examples I can think of are broken aa's over multiple years at Splash mth, Dinosaur, and Big Thunder, etc. I also did not see big areas covered with gum like I've seen at WDW (again, I think of Splash Mtn).

DL has some outstanding attractions that really should be at WDW in my opinion. Indiana Jones is unbelievable, one of the best. I don't care if it uses the same ride system as Dinosaur (which pales in comparison), this ride needs to be replicated at DS. The sub ride with Nemo is also very good. It is a shame that WDW filled in the lagoon and couldn't find a way to update their sub ride. My boys are 11 and 12 now, and they enjoyed it. The younger kids were going nuts when they saw the computer generated nemo characters swimming outside the sub windows.

Some of the things I found disappointing at DL:

Poor retaurant choices. We would have loved something like a Crystal Palace or Flame Tree BBQ, but we found the dining options limited. That includes table service and counter service. WDW blows DL away on food choices.

No Peoplemover/TTA? The track is still there, but no ride. Not a major attraction, but we love it at WDW when we want to get off our feet.

Fantasmic is shown in the River with Tom Sawyer Island as the stage. Talk about a traffic nightmare. Way, way worse than when people line up for parades. Imagine at WDW if you tried to put the entire Fantasmic audience on the street in Frontierland. There is basically no seating and it's very hard for kids to see. People would camp at the edge of the river 3 hours before show time with blankets in order to get a spot. It makes the entire area very difficult to navigate the entire night. I like Fantasmic, but I would rather they scrap it unless they had a better venue at DCA or something.

DL also did not feel like an escape as much as WDW. I never fealt seperated from the outside world like we do at WDW. Some of this was probably because we didn't stay on site and we only stayed 4 days. Another factor is probably because it was summer and we normally go to WDW in the off season when the crowds are lighter. I think the size of DL also contributes to this. It always felt tight and crowded, there is very little open space like there is in WDW.

A general review of Disney California Adventure is that it is just OK. It reminds me quite a bit of DS (our least favorite WDW park), but with weaker theming.

Anyway, we did have a great time and I'd recommend a trip out west for any Disney fan to see where it all started.

NJGIRL
08-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for the info. I guess that I just don't notice things the way others do because I have never seen anything broken at WDW nor have I seen gum that I can remember.

LauraleeH
08-20-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm guessing Disneyland is cleaner because it's smaller. Exactly why Disney World should NOT open up a 5th gate.

And, because it's smaller, it lacks choices and restaurants.

I'd love to be able to go someday, but I think it would be a one-time deal. I can't see myself ever wanting to go back.

Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

grwoolf
08-20-2008, 05:36 PM
I guess that I just don't notice things the way others do because I have never seen anything broken at WDW nor have I seen gum that I can remember.

I might notice more in WDW because I have been on the rides some much more, but there are certain things that never seem to be fixed. Splash mtn has broken effects such as the jumping fish, hopping rabbit that never seem to work. There is one spot where people stick their gum that is always covered, although they do clean it periodically. On BTMRR, the possums on the tree were not spinning the last 2 years we went. There are several things in Dinosaur that haven't worked in several trips. I guess it's not a big deal since most of it is small stuff, it just seems odd since Disney puts so much emphasis on the details in the imagineering process.

pink
08-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks for sharing, I've always wondered how DL compared to DW. :mickey:

Carol
08-20-2008, 06:32 PM
I will never understand why people find it necessary to compare Disney World and Disneyland. They're two different places.

I enjoy Walt Disney World - but give me Disneyland any day. Nothing trumps the California weather or the intimate feel of Disneyland.

mook3y
08-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Having grown up about a half hour from Disneyland, I grew up going on average a few times a year. Over the years I have had 13 annual passes and worked at Disneyland for a year when I was young. So I know Disneyland very well.

The last 3 years, we have gone to Disneyworld, with our first time ever being 2004.

I completely agree with your assesment/review. WHY doesnt WDW have Indiana Jones! IT's amazing and way better than dinosaur!

We were extremely sad that we will never get the chance to have ridden the subs at WDW.

One of my favorites was the People Mover at DL. Very similar to WDW in that it was a nice ride and view around tomorrowland. They had replaced them with "rocket rods" which I did get to ride a couple times before the vibrations from the electric moters on the tubular track was causing the foundations of the pillars to weaken. They NEED to bring the people mover back! The "Tron" experience was a favorite!!!!

Fantasmic.... I agree about the viewing area, but IMHO, the show at DL is far superior. Seriously, Peter Pan and Hook fighting on the Columbia!!! that rocks! :number1:.

Would also completely agree about not being as much of a complete "escape". We have spent as many as 13 days at WDW without leaving the property. I couldn't imagine doing that at Disneyland. Even if you are staying on site.

A light went on for me when you compared DS to California Adventure. Pretty much have to agree with you there. Obviously not that similar of parks, but does have kind of a similar feel to it.

I am happy with the selections to eat at if you consider the whole Disneyland property. I love Blue Bayou, one of my all time favorite Disney Restaurants. Downtown Disney has help add to the mix. Paradise pier hotel has an amazing Sushi restaurant on the main floor. But, then I know the area very well and there are lots of great places to eat at within 20 minutes of the parks that I would rather eat at..... :blush:

Lindsey
08-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Poor retaurant choices. We would have loved something like a Crystal Palace or Flame Tree BBQ, but we found the dining options limited. That includes table service and counter service. WDW blows DL away on food choices.

I've been to DL several times and I completely agree with this. There are a few nice places to eat in DL, but it's really limited compared to WDW. I was mainly disappointed with the counter service, I thought the food was gross. :sick: But in WDW I don't mind eating the counter service food.

grwoolf
08-20-2008, 08:27 PM
I will never understand why people find it necessary to compare Disney World and Disneyland. They're two different places.

I think people like to compare/contrast WDW and DL because they are different places. I looked at several threads on the topic when I was debating whether to do a short trip to DL or WDW this month.

I enjoy Walt Disney World - but give me Disneyland any day. Nothing trumps the California weather or the intimate feel of Disneyland.

I agree that DL is a great option for a shorter trip and I would consider going there again for a long weekend. However, I don't think of DL as a resort destination where I'd take the family for 7-10 days, even with the other things to do in Anaheim. I do love the CA weather (especillay compared to Orlando in August), but I'm looking forward to Feb. for our next trip to WDW. It's been perfect cool weather the last 2 times we went in Feb., hopefully that will continue.

PrincessTracie
08-20-2008, 08:37 PM
I have to agree with the OP. WDW is far superior to DL. While I have been to DL more times than WDW, I would prefer WDW anyday to DL. I live in the Pacific NW, so the plane trip to Florida is an all day thing. But whats ironic is that plane tickets to MCO costs less than plane tickets to LAX or Orange County (SNA). We usually drive down to DL when we do go. I love how WDW is a weeklong (or more) vacation, whereas DL is just a 2-3 day vacation. The only things that I do like about DL is 1) The rides are closer together than at MK, 2) Its the ORIGINAL Disney park, 3) The Indiana Jones ride (AMAZING!), 4) the ride vehicles on Space Mtn are better than at MK.

I really don't care much for DCA.

ParkMan
08-20-2008, 10:51 PM
You know, I'd almost rather that they were more different than they even are.

I've been to WDW many times. I've never been to DL. I'm sure I'll get to DL someday. While I'd enjoy seeing a different take on similar rides, I'd much rather see a bunch of different rides than I've done in WDW.

In a way, if they were more different, I'd be more inclined to visit than I am.

Sylvia
08-20-2008, 10:57 PM
I thoroughly enjoy going to WDW, but there is and always will be a special place in my heart for DL, specifically the original Magic Kingdom. There is a special quality about the park that I can't explain. Or, maybe it's simple. The spirit of Walt Disney is everywhere, since this is the only park with his handprint and footprint in/on just about every inch of the park.

Regarding Fantasmic - I was at DL years ago when this show premiered. I thoroughly enjoyed it. When the show premiered at WDW, I resisted seeing it for years, before finally giving in. Although I enjoyed the show in WDW, I liked the DL version a little more (but that's just my personal preference).

I have many favorites in DL's Magic Kingdom, inlcuding New Orleans Square - the French Dip Sandwich is a must on every trip, the Small World "castle", the monorail station inside the park, the Disneyland Band's daily concerts, the Enchanted Tiki Room show (the original - without Zazu and Iago), etc.
I was in Anaheim in April on a business trip for a week; I added a week of vacation time before I came home. I spent 6 days in DL. I spent most days in the Magic Kingdom and had a great time. I'm looking forward to my next DL vacation. I may be the exception to the rule, because I have no problem spending a couple of weeks in Anaheim, with at least a week in DL.

joelkfla
08-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Yes, I saw some trash and also saw some things not working on rides, but not to the degree of WDW.
Is it possible that you didn't notice some things not working, because you are less familiar with what should be working out there?

No Peoplemover/TTA? The track is still there, but no ride. Not a major attraction, but we love it at WDW when we want to get off our feet.The DL Peoplemover was far superior to the TTA. Instead of a flat loop, it swooped all around Tomorrowland, intermingling with the Monorail beam and offering great views of Autopia and the Sub Lagoon. It was actually a pretty interesting ride, compared to WDW's pleasant but snooze-inducing offering. There have been rumors that they may bring it back.

Fantasmic is shown in the River with Tom Sawyer Island as the stage. Talk about a traffic nightmare.
Aside from the facts that Peter Pan battling Captain Hook on a real ship is much more impressive than our Pochahontas scene, and that the DL version has much more puppetry and less animation ...

As with so many other things, the DL show is the original. Consider the sheer magic of the normally placid Rivers of America becoming a roiling cauldron of dragonfire, a massive dragon rising from the Tom Sawyer Island that we played on just a few hours earlier, and the same riverboat we rode on becoming a fireworks-bedecked playground for all our favorite Disney characters. For me, the Studios version lacks some of the magic because it's staged on a purpose-built island and lagoon.

DL also did not feel like an escape as much as WDW. I never fealt seperated from the outside world like we do at WDW.
And that was, in fact, a big factor in Walt's desire to build WDW -- probably the biggest of "the mistakes we will learn from."

Mousemates
08-20-2008, 11:32 PM
We loved DL when we made our trip last year...it had a very homey, small town park feel to it...which seemed odd given its location. We loved the Matterhorn boblseds (as seen on the brady bunch when I was five), revisiting Mr. Toad, the revamped Space Mountain, and Alice in Wonderland (riding it at night, especially the part that goes outside, was one of our fondest memories).

I agree with the part about not feeling separated form the outside world...and I think the big reason is because you can see the outside world from many areas in the park...which, if my Disney memory banks are correct, is one of the reasons Walt purchased so much land in Florida.

In the end I love them both...DL for its quaintness...and WDW...well, because it was designed to be what the land limitations in California prevented DL from becoming.

KEDOGN
08-20-2008, 11:57 PM
"I do love the CA weather (especillay compared to Orlando in August)"

Yeah, me too... nice and sunny in CA this weekend... raining and terrible in the "Sunshine" State this weekend. give me California any day! NO RAIN!

CaptSmee
08-21-2008, 02:23 AM
I've never been to DL either, and it's just natural to compare the 2 if you spent your life growing up visiting one and not the other.

I look forward to visiting sometime in the near future and posting my own comparisons. I hear that Fantasyland blows WDW's away! I know that i'll probably tear up the 1st time I visit DL...it's Walt's greatest legacy and the only park that had his personal touches.

Carol
08-21-2008, 06:45 AM
I may be the exception to the rule, because I have no problem spending a couple of weeks in Anaheim, with at least a week in DL.I'm exceptional too. ;)

In fact I'll be making my 4th trip to Disneyland in 2 years. I stay at least a week every time and have never left to explore any other parts of California. I'll be there for 9 days in 37 more sleeps. :D

Funny thing is I live in New York. It's much more convenient and cheaper for me to fly to Florida. Not to mention I own DVC at Walt Disney World. I simply find Disneyland more relaxing and love not having to step foot on a bus or travel from park to park. Nothing better then Walt's park. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

:twocents:

Imagineer1981
08-21-2008, 12:53 PM
I would love for WDW to have everything DL has, but then again, then why go to DL except for the fact that Walt built it

Bri
08-21-2008, 01:10 PM
my fiance is from southern cali, i had never been out there until we got together. my first trip to DL was probably in 2005. yes it is much different, smaller, different rides, different feel, at first i didn't like it. but at the same time, it's a nice fix, if you're out there and can't get to WDW. it has slowly grown on me, after all, it's still Disney! we are going to visit his parents for 10 days in september and we both have a DL annual pass (which are much more affordable then WDW passes since there are only 2 parks). so we will be visiting DL MANY times while we are there next month. it will be a nice preview for WDW when we go in december. i would agree though, WDW definatly makes you feel like you're away from reality. i think cause it's so big and, when on property, you have little contact with the outside world.

Ian
08-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Some of the things I found disappointing at DL:

No Peoplemover/TTA? The track is still there, but no ride. Not a major attraction, but we love it at WDW when we want to get off our feet.First off, I pretty much agree 100% with your positive comments on DL. I find it interesting, too, that your identified deficiencies matched up with mine, as well.

I thought DL needed more sit-down dining options BIG TIME. I also agree that that empty Peoplemover track was tough to take.

I enjoy Walt Disney World - but give me Disneyland any day. Nothing trumps the California weather or the intimate feel of Disneyland.I agree totally, Carol. Being out there again in March reminded me again of just how much I loved DL the first time I went.

I have to agree with the OP. WDW is far superior to DL.Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anywhere where the OP said that WDW was superior to DL in any way ... let alone "far superior."

And for the record, I totally disagree. I think DL beats WDW hands-down in terms of a true Disney theme park experience.

I take the Ferry
08-21-2008, 03:08 PM

Really? I think it's only natural to compare any two Disney resorts, especially since they all are built around a park with a castle in the middle. I think it would be hard not to compare them.

I find that people prefer the park that they "grew up" going to, or that they visited first.

I think this calls for a poll. Woot.

K, Slater!
I take the Ferry!

MNNHFLTX
08-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I find that people prefer the park that they "grew up" going to, or that they visited first.Not necessarily. I had been to Disney World umpteen times before going to Disneyland for the first time. I tried not to approach our first trip there as a comparison with WDW, but as a new experience in and of itself, and was instantly charmed. Disneyland's smaller size, the attention to detail, the laid-back atmosphere all made it seem almost homey. So I love both parks for different reasons--WDW is expansive and exotic (for lack of a better phrase), Disneyland is intimate and more like coming home for me. But both have their own unique magic.:mickey:

Ian
08-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Not necessarily. I had been to Disney World umpteen times before going to Disneyland for the first time. I tried not to approach our first trip there as a comparison with WDW, but as a new experience in and of itself, and was instantly charmed. Disneyland's smaller size, the attention to detail, the laid-back atmosphere all made it seem almost homey. So I love both parks for different reasons--WDW is expansive and exotic (for lack of a better phrase), Disneyland is intimate and more like coming home for me.:ditto:

A Foolish Mortal
08-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Indiana Jones is unbelievable, one of the best. I don't care if it uses the same ride system as Dinosaur (which pales in comparison), this ride needs to be replicated at DS.

I do agree that IJ needs to be replicated at DS, replacing that worn out stunt show.

I do believe, however, that Dinosaur is a much more fun ride. (I have ridden both...) I've ridden both multiple times in a row, and I feel that Dinosaur has a much larger reride value than IJ. Dinosaur is reridable because it is exciting, and scary, while in Indiana Jones, its exciting, but nothing really shocks you in the ride, so you remember everything and know when everything happens, unlike in Dinosaur, when you're shaking and screaming so much you hardly remember a thing other than 'Oh my gosh! We almost were eaten! LET'S DO IT AGAIN!' Or at least that's the reaction I always have.

spawnof65
08-22-2008, 11:34 AM
I live in NY and have visited WDW periodically since the mid 1970s. I've been to DL a handful of times, the last time back in June 2001. I understand things have improved there immensely over the past 7 years. That said, I was very dissapointed at that time. The upkeep was unbelievably bad - peeling and faded paint, everything was scratched up and old looking. It was really sad. As the story goes they got a new mgmt team and things are now superior to WDW in terms of upkeep.

A couple of other observations...I too love the dry California weather too but the smog can really get to me. Between the effects on my asthma and the haze, it can be a real downer. It also takes away from that feeling of escape that makes these places so special.

I think a lot of the rides at DL are better than at MK, particularly Pirates. Indiana Jones is terrific as everyone has said.

The sense of place at WDW wins out for me though. The trip there is always exciting - monorails, boats, etc. The climate is tropical and feels exotic - like you're on vacation. The huge lake and the skyline of the MK are really special attributes. Best of all, the MK's castle is impressive and beautiful while DL's castle is underwhelming.

In fact, I find the caste and some other elements of DL kinda cheesy. The matterhorn in particular just looks dated and old. I know this won't be a popular opinion but it's always something that bothered me about the place.

One thing I love about DL is all it's nooks and crannies. There is something to discover around every corner and many of the discoveries seem like your own private surprise.

NASCARVW
08-22-2008, 11:45 AM
I've grown up an hour away from Disney World all my life, have had AP's for the last 15 years.
My first visit ever to DL was about 3 years ago, and the biggest thing I remember was saying...
"Wow, is that really their castle?"
:)
:secret:

ChipnDaleGal
08-22-2008, 01:53 PM
I've grown up an hour away from Disney World all my life, have had AP's for the last 15 years.
My first visit ever to DL was about 3 years ago, and the biggest thing I remember was saying...
"Wow, is that really their castle?"
:)
:secret:

Bigger is not always better! I love the castle at Disneyland. It is very beautiful and it is just the right size for the park.

Ian
08-22-2008, 02:25 PM
I understand things have improved there immensely over the past 7 years. That said, I was very dissapointed at that time. The upkeep was unbelievably bad - peeling and faded paint, everything was scratched up and old looking. It was really sad. As the story goes they got a new mgmt team and things are now superior to WDW in terms of upkeep.Ugh, yeah you were there during "The Bad Old Days" under Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harris (:ack:).

Once Matt Ouimet took over, things got markedly better from what I'm told. I know that by the time I first visited in 2005 things were near perfect in terms of cleanliness and upkeep.

Bigger is not always better! I love the castle at Disneyland. It is very beautiful and it is just the right size for the park.Yeah, i totally agree. If anything, I liked Sleeping Beauty's Castle a big more than Cinderella's, because it's more "storybooklike" ... I thought it fit the whimsy of what I think a Disney theme park should be much better than the grandiose Cinderella Castle in WDW.

SoaringEpcot
08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
I don't have an opinion yet because I have not been to DL yet, but in only 5 days I am making my first trip. We are only going for one day so I hope we can get everything in. I will try not to compare the two but I know my DW will. She has been having people tell her how small DL is and that aftergoing to WDW you will not be impressed. I just told her it is the original and I want to see what Walt built, I am not going to be that close and not go.

I will report back after Labor Day on our trip.

lindique
08-22-2008, 06:58 PM
I have been to both parks and I find the Magic Kingdom at Disneyland to be far superior to the one in Disney World. When you compare the 2 Magic Kingdoms, you'll find many more rides and better versions of similar rides in Anaheim. Since there was only one park there for most of its history, they were constantly improving what they had. Fantasyland, for example, is about twice the size in California.

That said, however, I agree with most of the comments already written here. The food (even the counter service) leaves much to be desired in Anaheim. I found myself walking across Harbor Blvd for dinner on several nights. And, of course, they only have 3 hotels on site, and they are all very expensive. If you are looking for a week long trip, Orlando beats Anaheim (except I do wish they had a few rides like Alice in Wonderland).

Crow
08-23-2008, 09:12 PM
thanks
i do like hearing things about both parks esp never having been to DL.
i would like to see some of the things at DL;
Indy, some of the dark rides

Sylvia
08-24-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm exceptional too. ;)

In fact I'll be making my 4th trip to Disneyland in 2 years. I stay at least a week every time and have never left to explore any other parts of California. I'll be there for 9 days in 37 more sleeps. :D

Funny thing is I live in New York. It's much more convenient and cheaper for me to fly to Florida. Not to mention I own DVC at Walt Disney World. I simply find Disneyland more relaxing and love not having to step foot on a bus or travel from park to park. Nothing better then Walt's park. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

:twocents:
Hello fellow exceptional DL lover. It's possible we were separated at birth, because we both feel exactly the same way about Walt's original park. :mickey: I'm jealous that you're heading back very soon. I'm so tempted to schedule another vacation this year, but, unfortunately, I have a couple of business trips coming up, so travel for fun will have to wait until after the first of the year.

I live in Philadelphia, and, as with you, it's much easier and cheaper for me to fly to Orlando than to LA. But the trip to LA is worth it, especially when my destination is Anaheim. I noticed on my last trip that they have really tried to clean up Harbor Boulevard and make it more visitor-friendly - much more enjoyable than the last time i was there. :)

Have a great time at the original park and think of me, wishing I were also there, sitting on one of the chairs on my favorite porch on Main Street, people watching and enjoying the magic. :thumbsup:

eeyorelover63
08-24-2008, 03:01 PM
wdw is the best! give me disney world over dl anyday!

andreallybadeggs
08-24-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm another in the "love them both" camp.
Telling you which is better would be like choosing one child over another. I do think being a woman
of "a certain age" makes some difference to me loving DL because:
1) I remember my childhood experience there and that was BEFORE WDW was around.
2) I agree that being in "Walt's Park" gives me goosebumps. The fireworks display was, I think, more meaningful to me than it was to my Disney-loving daughter for that reason...little nostalgic moments in that soundtrack that she missed.
First time we saw DL Fantasmic we had no idea what it was. Saw all the people camped on the grass and realized, too late, that we were going to miss a lot by not having a spot early.
We watched from a distance, loved it, stayed around for the second show and loved it more.
Pochohantas is nice but Peter Pan is a classic.
Just like Disneyland. :thumbsup:

Gator
08-24-2008, 06:11 PM
I've done both a lot, so I agree with a lot of what you said. However, I don't think I've seen things broken down at WDW anymore than at DL. As far as early entry, that never mattered to me because I sleep in on vacations. Especially when I'm in a time zone 3 hours early. I definitely agree that there is no feeling of escape at DL. You can actually hear the traffic from I-5 in the parks.