PDA

View Full Version : Renting Points from a FRIEND

Goes4FastPass
08-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Hello DVCers,

I have a friend who is a DVC member and circumstances are such he's looking to turn some/all of this or next years points into cash.

My friend doesn't want to sell his DVC membership, the current circumstances are temporary.

I'm always anticipating another WDW vacation.

I've "rented" DVC points a couple of times in the past from complete strangers. So "how does it work?" is NOT my question.

This would be a face to face, friend to friend transaction. Obviously, zero risk to either party.

What's a price per point that's fair to my friend and a reasonable value to me?

Thanks for the help,

DVC Mike
08-19-2008, 05:37 PM
I think it's up to your friend, but I would suggest $10 per point as a starting point for discussion between the two of you.

Madame Leona
08-19-2008, 06:41 PM
I have to agree that $10.00 per point would be fair. That's what I'm paying for my points rental from a stranger.

Cookie123
08-20-2008, 01:27 PM
I have rented 4 times before. I would also agree - $10.00 per point is fair for both of you.

mook3y
08-20-2008, 03:59 PM
I would agree that $10 for a friend is a good price for both parties.

OogieBoogieMan
08-20-2008, 08:07 PM
$10 a point is absolutely fair. The buyer assumes a most of the risk in a rental transaction. Sellers should be able to command higher prices if the risk of default is low. It works this way where there is no relationship, if you have rented before successfully you can command a higher price because the buyer is less concerned about being left holding the bag, so to speak. In so far as I am concerned $10 is the high risk price, meaning the seller doesn't have a history. Of course buyers can be an interesting bunch as well and knowing the buyer saves the seller a bunch of headaches. At the end of the day, I think $10 is a better deal for the buyer when you know each other, but I also think it isn't worth debating. Personally, I would offer a friend a $12 knowing how good a deal it is versus rack rates.