PDA

View Full Version : Tipping at buffets with DDP?

Diznut
08-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Are we expected to tip at buffets on the DDP? If so, is the full 18-20% standard?
Thank you.

TBY2225
08-19-2008, 02:25 PM
From everything I have seen and read Yes, you are suppose to tip at buffets and the norm is 18-20%. However, you are not obligated to do so, I personally give about 10-15% at buffets, but that is my choice. I am sure you will get lots of input on this post! :blush:

Disney fans..
08-19-2008, 02:52 PM
I personally would not tip the full 18-20%..I agree with 10-15%

dismommy
08-19-2008, 02:59 PM
I base my tip on the service. The last time we were at the Crystal palace the service was awful, could not get the table cleared, drink refills etc, but alas we were a large party and they added the tip to our check (the server did not earn it the manager is the one who got us drinks and cleared the table), but during the same trip at chef mickey we had excellent service even getting my son more chicken from the buffet because his plate had been accidentally cleared while I took him to the bathroom so that server definitely deserved the 18-20%.

KAT1811
08-19-2008, 03:02 PM

:ditto:

prttynpnk
08-19-2008, 04:04 PM
I tend to stay to the 18-20%. I think servers at most buffets work pretty hard especially if it's my family?!

jszczur5
08-19-2008, 06:19 PM

Ditto here.

tink'72
08-19-2008, 07:29 PM
What percentage of tip do they bill you for if you are on the DDP at a buffet? Is is still the 18-20%?

maxrebo77
08-19-2008, 08:24 PM
I have been in the restaurnt/server business for over 20 years. Because of that I Always overtip. The standard for buffet is 12%. I always leave at least 15% if no problems. Never pay tip on tax. Ever.

thrillme
08-19-2008, 09:02 PM
I just can't bring myself to tip 18-20% at buffets unless the service is AWESOME. My drink has to stay filled and when I get up to get a new plate the old one needs to be gone. I figure I'm doing a lot of the "work" myself.

Now last year my husband and I went to Vegas. We went to the seafood buffet at the Rio. HOLY MACKERAL. The service was beyond anything I'd ever seen at any buffet at Disney. We're HUGE crab eaters...if crab is on the buffet you can bet we're going for it especially when we pay something like $70-80 for two people. Our waiter filled our drinks constantly...they never got below halfway...our crab shells were cleared away before we filled the basket. He whipped by and dumped them out so quick you'd almost miss him. By the time we returned to our table everything was cleaned. He'd stop by and ask if he could get us anything special from time to time. Mind you too he handled a tremendous number of tables too. We left him a generous %20+ tip.

The last time I was at Crystal Palace. I stacked up my plates, sought out a pitcher and filled my own glass, stopped a busser and gave him my plates...and the waitress thought she was going to get a big tip for bringing me a glass of tea and some honey mustard...I don't think so.

For Average service 10% is enough.

maxrebo77
08-19-2008, 09:20 PM
As my daughter would say, "How 'bought it Right?"
If you are not happy, no money must leave your pocket unless you wish it to.

TINKERBELL_82
08-21-2008, 12:01 PM
For us, we would have to recieve absolutely the worst service in history not to leave a tip. (Its only happened to me once, and I notified the manager what happened I why I wasn't leaving anything).

We typically leave 15% at buffets, and 20% or more at TS, depending on the level of service. I worked in the hospitality industry for a while, and to me there is nothing tackier than leaving a 5% tip, or worse- nothing at all (unless of course, the server did something so awful that he/she didn't deserve a tip, at which point you should definitely let the manager know).