PDA

View Full Version : What Happens?

Arnold Simba
08-18-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm curious: When Disney removes a ride, what happens to the parts? For example: What happened to the 20K Submarines, What happened to Mr. Toads Ride Vehicles and interior scenery, What happened to the blue ride vehicles on The Living Seas, What happened to the ride vehicles and interior scenery of Horizons and World Of Motion, What happened to the Animatronic Puppets of Legend Of The Lion King?

I remember when Horizons was close to shutting down, I asked one of the castmembers working there if I could place "dibs" on the animatronic cat licking up the spilt milk? He chuckled, asked me to wait a moment, and contacted his supervisor. The supervisor asked me what the problem was. I said, "No problem at all. Just that since the ride is going to be torn down, can I have the white cat lapping up the spilt milk in the robotic kitchen?" He laughed and said, "We'll take your request under consideration." lol (But hey, I was serious).

Wished they'd auctioned off the Parrot from the entrance to POTC. But hey, he's still livin' at least at Downtown Disney.

JFYI: On e-Bay, I have seen a Mr. Toad's ride car, a blue ride vehicle from "Living Seas", and surprise of surprises ... a full ride vehicle from "Horizons". If I'd had the money (and somewhere to put it), I would have bid on the Horizons vehicle. The guy auctioning it posted several cool pictures, which I saved.

So does anyone know where the rides, their vehicles and parts, end up? Disney graveyard? Disneyana Conventions? Where? :confused:

Mousemates
08-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Some of it is put in storage and then canibalized for other rides attractions...some winds up in surplus and is sold....a google of disney world or mickey mouse surplus will show you someof the places where you can buy stuff.

p.s. by the way when I last checked there was a ride car for your beloved horizons ride available for a cool $10K.

Imagineer1981
08-19-2008, 01:04 PM
For the longest time the subs from 20k were just sitting behind "its a small world" rusting. Other parts are trashed and some are sold. If you look on youtube, there is a video of the remainder of the epcot wand and hand, just tore up and scattered all over some piece of land on property

arsenal3
08-19-2008, 01:11 PM
^^why did't they keep that up?? I liked the wand and hand , haha....

mcjaco
08-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Some of the Horizons props, like the hovercraft from the orange grove scene, and one of the minisubs, went to Disneyland Paris' Hollywood Studios. They're on the backlot tour.

Cookie123
08-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Now - I'm NOT positive about this, but I thought that one of the submarines from 10,000 Leagues Under The Sea, is at the graveyard of the backlot tour at the Florida Disney Hollywood Studios.

Ian
08-19-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm curious: When Disney removes a ride, what happens to the parts? For example: What happened to the 20K Submarines, What happened to Mr. Toads Ride Vehicles and interior scenery ... I can tell you for certain that the devil's pitchfork from the end of Mr. Toad is in my brother's closet. ;)

He won it from Disney Auctions not long after the ride shut down.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-19-2008, 08:37 PM
^^why did't they keep that up?? I liked the wand and hand , haha....

When Siemens took over SSE, they wanted NOTHING to do with the wand and asked that it be removed. Disney agreed.

arsenal3
08-20-2008, 12:39 AM
^^^
Why whats the big deal with the wand?

Diznee4Me
08-20-2008, 08:47 AM
As you said some of the stuff does end up on ebay or other auction houses.

I have a couple of signs from various time periods in WDW history. One is an EPCOT 2000 sign with the triangular banner and a "New Magic from Imagineering" sign with the Tree of Life and E:E rising up behind it -- they are in my office!:D

Main Street Jim
08-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Wished they'd auctioned off the Parrot from the entrance to POTC. But hey, he's still livin' at least at Downtown Disney.That's not the "real" parrot from PotC; it's a cheap fake imitation. :D It's not even close to the one that was at the entrance. Sure, it looks like him, and it even has *some* of the same spiel, but the voice is not even the same. But the "spirit" of the original is there, I guess...

As for what happens to props and vehicles, some of it is sold through MouseSurplus, which has a warehouse just south of Disney off of US 27. We went and visited the place not too long ago, and Wilson's airplane that used to be at the end of Kilimanjaro Safaris was sitting out front. The old Green Army Men van that they used for their shows at the Studios was there as well, albeit sitting up on concrete blocks, basically stripped. The hayride wagon from Ft. Wilderness was there as well, and the Horizons ride vehicle was inside. I got to sit in it :) And yes, the buttons for selecting your own ending were still in there.

Minnie Imagineer
08-20-2008, 09:33 AM
I took the backstage magic tour and A LOT of ride parts were stored behind MK, DHS, and epcot. Also, they auction them off. I have seen a mad tea cup eing auctioned, vehicle from Horizons, a part of the monorail, etc

diz_girl
08-20-2008, 11:47 AM
When Siemens took over SSE, they wanted NOTHING to do with the wand and asked that it be removed. Disney agreed.

THANK YOU SIEMENS!!!

On another note - I think that some of the 20K subs are sitting out behind the MK, next to Bay Lake. I saw it on Google Earth a little while ago. The satellite image now is actually from about two years ago, and I think that I still see them. There's lots of stuff sitting out there. Check it out on Google Earth.

I just went to check it out on my Desktop icon and it's gone. I guess my employer wiped it from my drive. Oh well, time to download again.

Imagineer1981
08-21-2008, 01:11 PM
sometimes some of the stuff is sold at Property Control behind MK for CMs only. They sometimes have old signs, service trucks, and like plates, night stands, tvs, beds, etc from the resorts