PDA

View Full Version : A question for our Canadian friends

alphamommy
08-17-2008, 10:01 AM
We got home from vacation on Friday night, and noticed something interesting while driving from Lake Placid, NY, to Toronto.

On Wednesday, 8/13, along the westbound 401 approaching Toronto, we saw several overpasses with people gathered. They had Canadian flags draped over the sides, or were holding them. Some had large yellow ribbons hanging over the side of the overpass. They were only facing westbound traffic - we didn't see anyone on the opposite side of the overpass.

I gather from the symbolism that it is some sort of anti-war protest, but I was curious if it was an organized group. Was there a particular reason we saw them that day, or is there someone out every day?

Just curious. Thanks!

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks for asking!

You were a seeing what has become an important, yet very sad Canadian tradition.

All Canadian soldiers who are killed in Afghanistan are brought "home" to the base in Trenton, east of Toronto. They are then brought to Toronto along the 401 before heading home for their funeral.

There is now a tradition that everytime a solider is travelling along the highway from Trenton to Toronto that people come out and watch the procession, showing their support for the troops and the family who lost a loved one. The section of the 401 between Trenton and Toronto has been renamed "The Highway of Heros" to reflect the soliders who have taken this trip.

There were two soliders brought to CFB Trenton last Wednesday, so you must have been travelling the 401 not too long before they did.

offwego
08-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Just to add to the above it is not an anti-war protest at all, just meant to honour our soliders and the family of these heros.

Georgesgirl1
08-17-2008, 01:05 PM
What touching way to support those families who have lost a loved one. I am sure that this tradition means the world to them.

alphamommy
08-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks for clearing that up! I remember hearing something on the news while we were in Toronto about fallen soldiers being brought to a base near in the area, and I think I saw a sign along the 401 about The Highway for Heroes.

It sort of reminds me of the veterans who form a motorcycle color guard around some American soldier's funerals to block protesters who have been showing up.

I guess my cynical American upbringing made me think the worst. It is a wonderful tribute to your heroes.

Thanks,
Tammy

crazypoohbear
08-17-2008, 10:32 PM
What a great thing to do for the soldiers.

I wonder why the USA doesn't do something like this.

I think all soldiers living or deceased need to be honored.

brownie
08-18-2008, 09:51 AM
What a great tradition and way to honor fallen soldiers! Too bad we have people here in the US who decided it would be better to protest a soldier's funeral. This is something we could all learn from...

Flower
08-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Just to add, the yellow ribbons are a way of showing support for our troops. Last year a trooper who lived on my small street was killed in Afghanistan; Our whole street was covered with yellow ribbons & Canada flags. Our small town had every street lamp pole decorated with a yellow ribbon too. Our town has now commissioned special street lamp signs saying 'Support Our Troops', several businesses have purchased the signs as well. A new street has been named for the Trooper that was killed.

Canadians have also incorporated 'Red Fridays', wear red to show support.

If you google Highway of Heroes you will see what alphamommy is is taking about, and there is footage on YouTube. It is very sobering to see everyone on the bridge showing their respect to the fallen soldiers. I work for the local police dept. and our officers are encouraged to attend to highway overpass', as are the local firefighters and EMS. This is something that started soon after the war and I have to say that it is nice to see the respect and showing of support has not dwindled as the war has gone on.

bucky at disney
08-20-2008, 03:43 PM
It sort of reminds me of the veterans who form a motorcycle color guard around some American soldier's funerals to block protesters who have been showing up.

This group of motorcyclists is called the Patriot Guard, and I believe the group was started to help serve as sort of a block from a group of protestors during a soldier's funerals. You can google Patriot Guard - to see more about the group. It really is something seeing this....but so sad the reason the group was originally formed.

alphamommy
08-20-2008, 05:15 PM
This group of motorcyclists is called the Patriot Guard, and I believe the group was started to help serve as sort of a block from a group of protestors during a soldier's funerals. You can google Patriot Guard - to see more about the group. It really is something seeing this....but so sad the reason the group was originally formed.

Thank you! I couldn't remember what they were called!