PDA

View Full Version : Secret of Disneyland in WDW??

IamBelle
08-16-2008, 05:22 PM
I was watching Disneyland Behind the Scenes, and it said that in the castle there is a small gold tack-like thing in the ground that shows the geographical location of the center of the park. I was wondering, does Magic Kingdom in Florida have this too?

LauraleeH
08-16-2008, 05:24 PM
I just saw it and wondered, too! I know I heard something about it somewhere...I will do some research.

Mousemates
08-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Just for my information...what cable /satellite channel are you watching...I'm not seeing that show in our listings and was just curious?

LauraleeH
08-16-2008, 05:33 PM
The Travel Channel has been airing the Season of Disney episodes all day. It ends at 7:00 tonight.

scoot241
08-16-2008, 06:36 PM
The old EPCOT logo in the ground to the south of the Fountain of Nations (toward World Showcase) in Future World is (was?) the geographical center of WDW. I'm not sure if there's a marking for MK.

CaptSmee
08-16-2008, 06:38 PM
I'll have to check some references...but I think there's something in Epcot designating the center of WDW in front of the Fountain of Nations...

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-17-2008, 02:51 AM
There is one in the park.......I forget where. But it was pointed out to me once.

lindique
08-17-2008, 09:43 AM
There is one in the park.......I forget where. But it was pointed out to me once.
I seem to remember that it's in EPCOT somewhere near Innoventions??

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-17-2008, 09:51 AM
No I'm thinking there is one for MK specifically.

I can't remember right now though.

WDWdriver
08-17-2008, 10:32 AM
The original geographic center of WDW is marked by an Epcot logo embedded in the pavement just south of the Fountain of Nations (on the Future World side). However, since Epcot opened in 1982 there have been several changes due to property sell-offs and acquisitions. So the geographic center of WDW has moved. Some say it is now under water in a portion of the property set aside as a wildlife refuge.

I don't know of a marker denoting the geographic center of the Magic Kingdom.

Polynesian Dweller
08-17-2008, 01:22 PM
What you are looking for are survey markers called benchmarks. There are several sites out there that catalogue them, waymarking is one and it can provide links to the others. There are at least 7 in MK and 2 in the hub near the statue. This one is a rare on in that it includes the survey coords as is likely the geographical center. At Disneyland they are brass (accounting for the gold colour) and at WDW they are a silver colour).

CaptSmee
08-17-2008, 10:03 PM
What you are looking for are survey markers called benchmarks. There are several sites out there that catalogue them, waymarking is one and it can provide links to the others. There are at least 7 in MK and 2 in the hub near the statue.

Not what the original poster is referring to. There is a mark for the center of Disneyland in the ground. I'm pretty sure there is no such thing at Magic Kingdom, but there is at Epcot to mark the center of WDW's property. From the early planning stages, Epcot was always supposed to be the center of the Florida Project.

Polynesian Dweller
08-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Not what the original poster is referring to. There is a mark for the center of Disneyland in the ground. I'm pretty sure there is no such thing at Magic Kingdom, but there is at Epcot to mark the center of WDW's property. From the early planning stages, Epcot was always supposed to be the center of the Florida Project.

Well, I know the "spike" that's being referred to at DL (yes I've seen it) and it is a benchmark type marker. The center at MK in WDW is a benchmark marker in the hub near the Friends statue. Its just that its silver not gold colored. Since these are private survey markers (not USGS markers) they can be any shape and colour that the owner wishes them to be and even the DL one is a round shape about the size of the a normal benchmark.

Imagineer1981
08-18-2008, 11:06 AM
hmm...very interesting