PDA

View Full Version : How Much Would You Tip on a 37.00 Haircut?

merlinmagic4
08-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Just curious...........Thanks!

Ian
08-15-2008, 01:15 PM
I'd most likely tip around 20% or so ... 8 bucks maybe?

I generally tip the woman who cuts my hair $5 on a $20 cut, plus $3 for the shampoo girl.

SBETigg
08-15-2008, 01:20 PM
I'd most likely tip around 20% or so ... 8 bucks maybe?

I agree with Ian.

DizNee143
08-15-2008, 01:54 PM
im a broke girl..so i would probably give 5 bucks....hey its better than nothing!

crazypoohbear
08-15-2008, 02:00 PM
I would tip about $6.00.-$7.00

crazeedizneefinatic
08-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Around $7 or so. Ahhhh, I remember $37 dollar haircuts, before husband, kids, tuition payments, mortgage, bills, bills, bills, LOL!!

Jasper
08-15-2008, 02:39 PM
WOW! When I see prices like this I am reminded of why I am so glad to live where I do. We have several folks around here who have won state and national awards in hair styling competitions, (sorry I don't know what organization put on the competition they competed in) so they are certainly top notch hair people. But even they don't charge that kind of price for a haircut. For $37.00 around here you would get a cut, shampoo, dye or perm job, and styling!

Aggie97
08-15-2008, 03:16 PM
I tip 20% for haircuts. :)

Tygger7
08-15-2008, 03:25 PM
I agree with Ian...I always tip 20%, and round up if there's change.

After my DD & I getting our hair messed up one too many times, I switched to what some would call an "upscale" salon. Not that spending more means you always get a better hair cut, but at this place it does. The guy that does our hair now has studied all over the world, and was trained by the stylists from "What Not to Wear" and "Extreme Makeover". Nice thing is that even though the cuts are expensive, I only have to go once every 12 weeks now instead of every 6 weeks, so it really doesn't end up costing that much more. The prices really start getting crazy when you get into multiple process coloring....that was my daughter's 16th bday present....at least it was cheaper than getting her a car. :D

brownie
08-15-2008, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't because there's no way I'd get a $37 haircut right now (or any time in the near future.)

I tip $2 when I get a haircut.

Jen C.
08-15-2008, 04:32 PM
I always do 20% as well, so $8. I also tip the shampoo person $3.

thrillme
08-15-2008, 04:34 PM
I'd say it all depends.

If it was a simple "average" haircut where the stylist didn't spend much time at all on it...then $5 is more than fair. If it's LOUSY...have them redo it and don't tip at all.

If the stylist really gave you a "super cut" and spent quite a bit of time giving you some REAL style (more than about 10-15 minutes) and truly paid attention to what your hair was capable of and what YOU wanted to be able to do with your hair. Then by all means tip 20%.

If I spend $37 on a haircut then I expect a "better" haircut than one that I spend $10 or $15 on. If the quality is no better than a $10 or $15 haircut then they'll get a tip that's comparable of $10-15.

$37 for a girls haircut is not all that crazy. $37 for a guys cut is a bit excessive.

Hull-onian
08-15-2008, 06:39 PM
I tip 20% mostly. However, I did take my grandaughter to Mansfield School of Beauty in Quincy, MA and they charged ten dollars and I gave the girl a two dollar tip. Her hair came out so good, I am thinking of going there myself, as it is not too far for me to travel to.

merlinmagic4
08-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks, everyone!

Yes, I think 37.00 is pretty average around here.

My MIL started giving me gift certificates to her hairdresser so I started going. I used to go only every other year since I always threw my hair up in french knot type style. And then I went to Procuts and got the 11.95 cut.....literally, every couple of years.

This stylist is really, really good. She washes, cuts, and styles my hair. She introduced me to the flat iron and I do love it! She spends at least 45 minutes on the whole deal. Honestly, when I take the time to flat iron it, it has never looked better.

I was just curious on the tip because I figured I was overtipping. My MIL had given me 2 100.00 certificates (Christmas and birthday) so I had just been using half for each cut. Now that I might have to pay on my own next time, I was wondering what other people would consider a reasonable tip :)

I really appreciate the feedback!

Speedy1998
08-15-2008, 08:01 PM
I wouldn't because there's no way I'd get a $37 haircut right now (or any time in the near future.)

I tip $2 when I get a haircut.

That is what I was thinking. I actually got tired of paying $10 for bad haircuts, so now I get DW to cut my hair. She doesn't get a tip though.;)

offwego
08-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Wow, I must spend a lot on my hair. I just had it done this week and it was over a hundred with tip. (colour as well though) I'm not sure that 37 would even get my cut done. (and I live in a town of 25,000)

Mind you she does a great job, the colours fantastic, and she knows which way my hair "grows" always asks if I want it changed marginally etc and you get a coffee, water etc while your there. Typically it takes 2.5 hours.

Scar
08-16-2008, 11:00 AM

I tip $2 when I get a haircut.:ditto:

Except I'll change "near future" to "ever".

I would shave my head before that. Seriously.

merlinmagic4
08-16-2008, 12:36 PM
:ditto:

I never did understand why a barber cut (where many men go) is just over 10.00 here and a "salon" cut (where many women go) is almost 40.00. Hmmmm.................

Scar
08-16-2008, 01:04 PM
I never did understand why a barber cut (where many men go) is just over 10.00 here and a "salon" cut (where many women go) is almost 40.00. Hmmmm.................Because they know that 99.9% of women would never shave their heads, while (and this is just a guess) 30% of men would (or let it grow and not care.)

SBETigg
08-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Wow, I must spend a lot on my hair. I just had it done this week and it was over a hundred with tip. (colour as well though) I'm not sure that 37 would even get my cut done. (and I live in a town of 25,000)

Mind you she does a great job, the colours fantastic, and she knows which way my hair "grows" always asks if I want it changed marginally etc and you get a coffee, water etc while your there. Typically it takes 2.5 hours.

For coloring, too, it would be a lot more than $37 around here. For just the cut and style, it's about $40 in my town. If I get highlights, it's over a hundred.

Mousemates
08-16-2008, 01:29 PM
$37 for a haircut seems a bit on the high side, but if that's the going rate in your neck of the woods...I'd start at 15% and work either up or down depending on the quality of the cut and service level of my stylist.

Your post did make me smile at how much money I have saved over the year from family haircuts...my wife (who was given pointers by my mom who was a cosmotologist before changing careers) cuts my hair these days. So lets say I get a cut every three weeks...which is roughly 17 cuts a year...at 37 dollars a pop comes out to 629 a year...been married 23 years...which comes out to over $14,000.

I never thought about it like this, but we have gone to disneyworld many times on what I saved on haircuts.:number1:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-16-2008, 02:54 PM
I had a book on tipping a few years back and it said if the stylist owns the saloon, a tip is not expected but I wonder if that's still proper etiquitte....if the stylist takes a lot of time and you are pleased with your cut, I say tip 20%,

NotaGeek
08-16-2008, 02:56 PM
I get my head buzzed every 2 weeks so I normally have a standing appointment if I have a regular stylist. Since I moved to Spokane I go to a beauty school that is right next to my apartment, and they charge $10, which is really inexpensive.

Barber shops in town charge $17-24 for a buzz cut, which I find ridiculous. I would gladly pay $15 for a buzz cut in a salon where I get a day of beauty, but I am the kind of guy that likes a scalp massage and deep conditioning. Barber shops aren't my style, so to speak.

That being said, I tip 100% at the beauty school because I feel bad that most of the cheap people that go there tip $1-2 for a style, no matter WHAT is done. Completely ridiculous since the students there don't get anything but the tips. I figure I can afford $20 and if that helps one of the students pay their rent that month, or go out and buy a couple of drinks, it's worth it.

In salons I always tip at least 20%, and always give a GOOD Holiday tip around Christmas. But, it's a service industry, so I rarely have to worry about "getting in" because hairstylist know who tips well and who doesn't -- so if my cut is $15 I don't feel bad paying $20 including tip if I am treated well.

disneydeb
08-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Please remember stylists are usually paid on commision - usually only 60% of what the salon charges.

Mousefever
08-17-2008, 12:01 AM

Come on....That's cause you're a boy!

Ian
08-17-2008, 08:26 AM
In salons I always tip at least 20%, and always give a GOOD Holiday tip around Christmas.I'm glad you mentioned this, Michael, because I forgot to ... if you have a regular stylist that you use, a holiday tip is a must. I normally tip the woman who cuts my hair around $50 at holiday time.

Re: the price of haircuts ... I don't think $37 is expensive for a woman's cut at all. I know my wife spends about that for just a cut. I think her's are like $40 maybe? Not including tip.

Guy's cuts are different. I pay between $10 and $20 for mine, tops. I think women's cuts are generally more complicated ... I just tell my stylist, "Make it shorter." and it takes her all of 15 minutes from start to finish. Including shampoo!

tinkerbell04
08-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Cuts and style for me run 45 dollars, but I usually get it cut with highlights so it runs about 130-140. I tip 25 bucks on top of that.

conorsmom2000
08-18-2008, 08:05 PM
I have to agree with the 20% for a tip - as for the price of cuts, it might be relative to where you live. $40 is average around here for a cut - an upscale salon starts at $60 to $75. I have very complicated hair (i.e., abnormally thick and coarse) so I don't mind paying more when I know the stylist will take their time, give me a great cut and most importantly, thin it out!! I also know that working on my hair takes up more time than a regular appointment, so I tend to over tip a little. (I'm at least an hour in the chair, without color - with color, it's 2 hours!!) Color starts at $40 and highlights start at $90. I don't need to cut my hair often but I do need to color it every 5 to 6 weeks and it gets crazy expensive!

Jeff G
08-19-2008, 12:21 AM
I have a friend who cut's & washes my hair at a discounted rate of $15 per visit. Because I know she is discounting it for me I tip her $5 with an occasional bigger tip. If I wasn't getting the discount then I would tip closer to 20%.

I go in every three weeks and the cut takes 20 minutes. I figure with her chair cut (I beleive she gets 50%) and tip I am treating her fairly for 1/2 hours work.

garymacd
08-19-2008, 11:07 AM
$37 for a haircut?!?

I just paid $13 for mine. And being follicly challenged as I am, I tried to talk him down to charging by the hair!

Tygger7
08-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I was chuckling reading the varying times it takes stylists to do cuts, color, etc. I admit, I have a "thing" about hair...for years, my husband had georgous, shoulder-lenght, curly/wavy hair. He kept it long for me, but finally had enough and cut it off about a year ago. I had hoped by telling him he HAD to go to this salon, he would be too cheap and say no. That didn't work.....so 90 minutes and $60 later ($45 plus $15 tip), his beautiful hair was gone. (And yes, I saved it.) The stylist did a great job, and did a really nice shag-type cut. (He wanted to shave his head, and I said absolutely not....his head is too lumpy.) Even getting a trim takes at least an hour.

Now for my & my daughter's hair...we both have shoulder lenght hair and it always takes 90 minutes for a cut & styling (60 for the cut, 30 for styling). Again, these 2 stylists REALLY take their time and cut & recut until it lays perfectly. For a multiple process color....that's pretty much an all day event. Mine took 3 hours (with a cut) and my daughter's took 5 hours (with a cut). Not complaining....I've just learned to never be in a hurry when I go there. :D

MamaStyles
08-19-2008, 01:56 PM
20% for my stylist.(sometimes even more if she makes adjustments in her schedule to fit me in).......I know she 'rents' her chair from the salon owner so I try to help her out anyway I can.:thumbsup:

LauraF
08-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Just goes to show you how much regionality plays a difference in pricing. It's always what the market will support. I pay $50 for a cut and wash outside of Boston at a good salon, and my sister pays about $80 for the same in NYC. One of my coworkers who lives in Framingham (a big city between me and Boston) pays $75.

As to the OP, I only tip my stylist at the holidays (or when he's gotten me in for a last-minute appointment) since he's the owner of the salon and I was always told you never tip the owner. Then I'll give him about $20 tip on a $50 cut.

Jen0610
08-19-2008, 04:38 PM
From the midwest here. I go to a middle of the road salon, not the pricest, but not bargin basement either.

Wash, cut, dry and style - 28.00 and this was just raised from 25.00 at the beginning of Aug.
Add 2 color foil wrapped highlights to the above 4 items - out the door at 65.00.
Eyebrow wax - 5.00

I always tip 20% and round off to the nearest dollar.

Tony gets his hair cut in a High and Tight. Big League Barbers, sports themed all female barbers, was charging 15.00 for the cut. It's not real hard to cut his hair, so we finally went out and got clippers, so now his hair cuts are free. Two hair cuts and the clippers were paid for. I still won't try and cut Logans hair, though.

I know there are salons that charge more here in town, but I am just fine with where I go.

merlinmagic4
08-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Such interesting and varied answers!! :)

That's funny that I was so impressed with 45 minutes but I guess I am used to the 12 minute Procuts cut!! I cannot actually imagine sitting in that chair for hours; I'd go nuts!

My hairdresser is the owner of the salon so I wonder if she gets many tips.......

I will be sure to tip well at Christmas this year!

Actually, after I posted this I got a bad haircut :D My bangs are way, way too short and it's just not a good length for me. Oh well, you win some, you lose some!

Oh, and Ian, for some reason I was thinking you didn't have any hair. Why is that? I've never met you in person?????????????

MNNHFLTX
08-19-2008, 05:05 PM
I consider myself very lucky to have found the stylist that does my hair. She's an independent operator (she and two other stylists own a small salon and share expenses) and does a cut, color and style for $70. I tip her 20% and she still chastises me for tipping her too much, but she does a great job.

Jasper
08-19-2008, 05:06 PM

Yeah, but we also know how much you spend on shoes so that pretty much evens out how much you spend on either end of yourself:D:D

For what you pay to get your hair done I could afford to have someone around here do a full head replant of my missing hair!

NotaGeek
08-19-2008, 06:08 PM
As to the OP, I only tip my stylist at the holidays (or when he's gotten me in for a last-minute appointment) since he's the owner of the salon and I was always told you never tip the owner. Then I'll give him about $20 tip on a $50 cut.

Wow. Never in my life have I EVER heard that ... and I am not sure why that would make a difference for a service industry job ... as the owner it would seem that most if not all of the cost of your cut would go to his overhead first ... and tips are about customer service, aren't they? Maybe I am off base. :huh:

conorsmom2000
08-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Wow. Never in my life have I EVER heard that ... and I am not sure why that would make a difference for a service industry job ... as the owner it would seem that most if not all of the cost of your cut would go to his overhead first ... and tips are about customer service, aren't they? Maybe I am off base. :huh:

Actually, Michael, I've heard that and read that before. And my sister is a former hairdresser and I know that's how most customers were in the shop she worked in (many years ago!!) - if the owner cuts your hair, you are not expected to tip. But, that being said, I believe that's a very old school rule and not really followed much anymore. But, I guess the reasoning was that the owner was getting a larger slice of the profits so a tip wasn't necessary (I'm just assuming). But, I think times have changed some and I believe now a tip is appreciated. I know I would tip, if it was me. At the nail salon I go to, the owner has occassionaly done my nails and I do tip her. :)

prprincess
08-20-2008, 09:10 AM

Mind you she does a great job, the colours fantastic, and she knows which way my hair "grows" always asks if I want it changed marginally etc and you get a coffee, water etc while your there. Typically it takes 2.5 hours.No, I don't think that you do because it's the same for me. And honestly, I don't think it's that bad because I have a ton of friends who live in NYC and LA, and for what I pay for a wash, cut, double process highlights, and a blowdry, they pay for just a cut!!

And my stylist is the same way--I am doted on while I am there, and my appointments usually take anywhere from 2.5 to 3 hours. I also truly believe that you get what you pay for--my hair always looks fabulous!

But I do tip 20% regardless. Because of the service I get, I think she deserves it.

Mousefever
08-20-2008, 05:29 PM

I was the massage therapist in a full-service salon and the owner did not take tips. The other stylists, nail techs, and I only made 50% to 60% of the price of the service we provided. I understand that the rest of the money went to pay overhead and toward the income of the owner.

However, I agree with Jen that the norms are changing. I would add a tip for the owner if you want. If they don't object you can assume that they appreciate the tip.

Amy

:dory:

Mickey'sGirl
08-21-2008, 09:21 AM
If the cut cost me $37, I would give the stylist $13 to make it an even $50. At Christmas, I tip my stylist 100%.

Ian
08-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Oh, and Ian, for some reason I was thinking you didn't have any hair. Why is that? I've never met you in person?????????????For awhile I wore my hair very, very short so some folks around here took to teasing me about no hair.

But for the record, I have hair and get it cut once a month. :)

Wow. Never in my life have I EVER heard that ... and I am not sure why that would make a difference for a service industry job ... as the owner it would seem that most if not all of the cost of your cut would go to his overhead first ... and tips are about customer service, aren't they?I think it depends on the situation. Some salon owners may accept tips, but I don't think most do.

I know the one time my regular stylist was out and I had the owner cut my hair. She refused a tip and I really couldn't figure out why. I asked my normal woman the next time I saw her and she said, "Oh, she's the owner. She won't accept tips."

SurferStitch
08-21-2008, 12:20 PM
I agree with Ian...I always tip 20%, and round up if there's change.

When I get a cut and highlight, it's a $100 bill, so I have to tack on an extra $20 for tip.....ouch.

It's so worth it, though.....my girl is AWESOME!!! She NEVER lets me down.

crazypoohbear
08-21-2008, 01:18 PM

I had always heard that you don't tip the owner also. Maybe we should do a poll to see if it is a regional thing.
In MA. that's what I have heard. Any one else?