PDA

View Full Version : tipping

motherof4
08-15-2008, 08:40 AM
I have the disney dining plan and the last time we had this the tips for dinner were included but now they are not. I was told that in a party of 6 or more they include the tips.I have 6 in my family I was just wondering exactly what that meant? does it mean they suggest what to tip or is included in the bill that comes of the ts.I am just a little confused at this point and I want to know what to leave for a tip? and if we feel the sevice wasn't worth a tip do they take it off of our ts and we loose meals at a later date please advise if you can. thank you

Itchy
08-15-2008, 09:20 AM
From what I understand with the party of 6 or more they will automaticly add the 18% tip to the bill. You can then add additional tip money if the service deserves it.:mickey:

14 days and counting

mook3y
08-15-2008, 11:16 AM
With 6 in your party, 18% will be added on automatically.

If you are not happy with service and feel 18% is not appropriate, speak with a manager and they can make an adjustment.

DizneyRox
08-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Yes, it means you will be billed for 18% of the bill and be expected to pay. By definition this is NOT a tip or gratuity, but that's what they choose to call it. Speak with a manager if you feel the "tip" is not worthy of the service.

Guya103
08-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Is this for buffets too? Thanks!:mickey:

motherof4
08-15-2008, 07:33 PM
I was wondering if you had to tip for buffets I don't see why you would have to you do all the work and basically they do nothing but bring the drinks. I hardly think it is worth 18%

Wishmaker
08-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Yep, that applies to buffets as well. I agree however, the last buffet I went to, our server was so on things, i would have tipped her to go away jk. She was the best waitress i had ever expirenced at a buffet, and she was busy. So the crazy thing is, it was just myself and my daughter, but i tipped her 18%. Not only for my service but the service i seen her give to the others. She was so swamped and stayed Disney all the way it was amazing.

thumperbug
08-15-2008, 09:34 PM
For buffets, we base our tip on how well the waiter pays attention to our table. If I leave a plate to go get more food, I expect the empty plate to be gone when I get back. I expect the waiter to frequently check to see if we need drink refills or better yet, the one that just gives you the refills before you need to ask.
I want the waiter to wipe down our table after dinner plates are cleared and ask if we want coffee. I'm sure some of this is supposed to be in their job plan but I just don't see that many going the extra steps.
I basically want the waiter to do what they should and the little extra. They have to know that as a buffet tips are generally going to be lower and they need to give the best service to earn a table meal tip.

eandrsmom
08-15-2008, 09:54 PM
We are a family of 6 too. My youngest is only one year, but I was told that she counted even though she wasn't ordering. So, last time we went, (Feb.) the 18% was added. I really didn't have too much of a problem with it b/c the service was good. However, we were at Chef Mickey's one evening, and our service was not good, no drink refills, dirty plates, etc.. I felt like our waitress knew she was guarenteed her 18%, so she didn't really do a good job.

Guya103
08-16-2008, 09:55 AM
One more question- Do you receive the 18% as a bill at the end of your meal or is that what is expected to be given to your server and left on the table? Thanks!:mickey:

DizneyRox
08-16-2008, 12:17 PM
One more question- Do you receive the 18% as a bill at the end of your meal or is that what is expected to be given to your server and left on the table? Thanks!:mickey:

For a party of 6 or more, I would expect it to be a bill that is delivered to the table.

Goes4FastPass
08-16-2008, 12:24 PM
We are a family of 6 too. My youngest is only one year, but I was told that she counted even though she wasn't ordering. So, last time we went, (Feb.) the 18% was added. I really didn't have too much of a problem with it b/c the service was good. However, we were at Chef Mickey's one evening, and our service was not good, no drink refills, dirty plates, etc.. I felt like our waitress knew she was guarenteed her 18%, so she didn't really do a good job.
This is really awful.
First they were stretching the definition of "6" when they counted a 1 year old then they charged you 18% service at a buffet then they gave you lousy service. Really awful.

DisneyBabies
08-16-2008, 05:18 PM
I can see doing the 18% for all the table service meals EXCEPT buffets. I was a waitress at a resteraunt that had a buffet for lunch and regular menu for dinner. I never expected to get as big a tip at lunch as I did at dinner because I knew that no matter how good a service I provided at lunch I still didn't do as much for a customer as I would at dinner. Does anyone know why Disney picked the number 6 as the magic number for automatic gratuity? All the places where I live start the count at 8 and some are even 10 for automatic gratuity.

eandrsmom
08-16-2008, 05:29 PM
I can see that in some cases, as a server, you can be busy at a buffet. There can be a lot of running to keep the tables free of dirty plates. I really don't mind as long as the service is good.
As far as the baby being counted in the party of six, I was told that they were counted because they took up the space. As someone who waited tables in college, I suppose I can appreciate this reasoning. Once again, I was told by the reservationist that this was due to capacity and fire codes.

DizneyRox
08-17-2008, 07:24 AM
Once again, I was told by the reservationist that this was due to capacity and fire codes.
What they can't explain is what does capacity and fire codes have to do with gratuity on services performed.