PDA

View Full Version : first trip to disneyland

Tiggerlovr9000
08-15-2008, 03:21 AM
Hi everyone, I am usually on intercot east but now I am getting the trip I thought I never would. My dh aunt and uncle live in Garden Grove and it has been over 40 years since he saw them last so we decided to do it in June 2009 before its to late. so I need lots of advice. I know june will be busy but that really doesn't bother me. There will be 6 in our party, dh,myself,ds 22,dd 20, dd 17 and dfil. We will need 2 rooms. One single and one suite. Where would you stay? Do california motels have the same restrictions as florida where you can only have 4 to a room? What is the best tickets to purchase, we will probably spend 2 or 3 days at disney. Which airport is the best one to fly? I am hoping to do southwest. Is renting a car a nightmare with the traffic and everything? How much would you budget for food a day? How far is anaheim from the ocean? sorry this is so long, I am so excited. Thanks in advance for your replies. Please talk to me like I'm 5. No detail is to small..

Tiggerlovr9000
08-15-2008, 03:44 AM
Hi everyone, just found out today that we are going to California to see dh's Aunt and Uncle that he hasn't seen in 40 years. Thought we had better go before its to late. Anyway they live so close to DL that they can hear the fireworks every night. Can't wait. I never thought this was possible and now here we go. We are going June 2009. I know it will be busy but don't care..:mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
08-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Have a great time at Walt's Original!!! :mickey:

Be sure to check Intercot's Boards in the DL section - lots of folks "in the know" there! :thumbsup:

Good luck and happy planning!

Mousemates
08-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Have a great trip...its a wonderful park, if you like the MK you will fall in love with the place almost immediately. The POTC there is super.

c&d
08-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Have a wonderful time, you're going to love it. I loved the little differences in some of the classic rides between WDW and DL. Definitely ride the monorail into the park, it's fun how it winds into the park.

And definitely eat at the Blue Bayou.

Marla
08-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi Tracey! Well, let's see if what I know will help you.
As you stated June will probably be busy. And another fact about June is Grad Night. So, if your trip has a grad night the park will close early. In that event I would get all the park hours in I could as far as the attractions and plan a dinner outside of the park. Also, getting in line at the gate 30 minutes before park opening is a big plus. Grab a fastpass and keep to a plan.
If it would fit in the budget my first choice would be a DLR hotel. And if it does not I would then stay on Harbor Blvd. Call the 1-800 numbers to get prices and room descriptions and go from there. As to, 'Where would you stay?". Well, I am usually on a budget and even thou I could stay further away for less, I prefer to just walk across the street. My chioce would be the Park Vue Inn. I really like not riding the shuttle and not driving my car. Another thing assuming your on a budget. Not all the hotels offer a continental breakfast. This will cut down on your food budget. I used to stay at the Fairfield by Marriot. But they have raised thier prices and they do not offer a breakfast. I do not know about the room occupancy. When my children were small we would have 6 to a room, with roll-away beds.
As far as tickets you would need a multiple day park hopper. Maybe you could find a nice packaged deal with your hotel.
I understand most of the surrounding airports are fine, except LAX. The drive, and traffic into LAX can be stressful. I have picked up a friend at Orange County (John Wayne)
Airport, and I got in and out just fine. I believe it took about 10 minutes to and from DLR.
For the days that I would be at the parks, I would think twice about renting a car. Everything around DLR is within walking distance. To save two or three days rental fee you might consider taking the bus from Orange County Airport to your hotel.
As for food budgetting you have alot of plans or choices to follow. Like I said earlier a continental breakfast, especially seeing you have teenagers could save you alot. Eating in the park can be expensive. You can find most all of the menu's on-line to help you. Also, there are alot of chioces within walking distance. And don't forget local pizza delivery can fill up those teenagers, and not break the bank. And don't forget backpacks with water and snacks, this really helps that budget. And wet wipes.
You are only about a 30 minute drive from alot of southern California beaches. The shortest distance from DLR would probably be Huntington Beach. My favorite beach would be just a little further south, Laguna Beach. I love the tide pools.
I am like you I do not think you can plan too much. Have Fun!:tink:

ChipnDaleGal
08-18-2008, 08:06 AM
Tracey, you are in for such a wonderful treat! It is such a great experience and irresistable! Have fun planning and dreaming! :mickey:

Tiggerlovr9000
08-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Thank you so much for all the help.

tdhiatt
08-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Check Alaska airlines web site, they seem to have good deals. The amount in the room seems to depend on the hotel. I just booked a package for my neighbors for 5 and they got a 1bdroom suite. It had 2 queens and a full sofa bed. They booked it on Alaska air website. When you put in your info they will give you a quote and then you can click for room options on some of them. Also get a place with breakfast or we have packed cereal and plastic bowls and spoons, most hotels have a store that will sell milk. Orange County is my #1 choice of airports. We are going in November and for the first time trying Jet BLue and flying into Longbeach. You might try Jet Blues site and see what deals they are having as well.

maizey05
08-21-2008, 01:24 AM
I found cheap airfare on Virgin Airlines. Then, booked the hotel/tickets through the main Disney site. It think I got a good deal. You might check it out.