PDA

View Full Version : Disney world in a cast and wheelchair...

SFTrny
08-13-2008, 09:30 PM
OK..so here's the deal. We have booked our trip to Disney and FW already and been plannin it for months. My daughter (17) now has to have surgery in early Sept and will be in a leg cast for 3 months...including our time in late November at Disney.

We have debated about moving the trip to Dec when she is out of the cast, but she is actually pushing to go in Nov and not worry about the cast and chair.

I am interested in everyone's opinion and suggestions about staying at DW and seeing the parks when one person is in a leg cast and a wheelchair.

We are staying at FW, will have a rental car, and a golf cart.

DisneyLuver91
08-13-2008, 11:39 PM
I have been to Disney the past two years in a wheelchair because of knee issues. Being 14 & 15 when I went, it was actually really fun! Getting pushed around and not having to do much besides ride is a blast!

Just don't get drowsy and cart her around! One night in Epcot, my mom got tired and forgot she was pushing me. She pushed me and walked off and I was sent flying into a display!!

Marilyn Michetti
08-14-2008, 02:05 PM
What a way to clear a path - better than a stroller.:D (Just kidding).

Your DD will see part of it at butt level, but it's not that bad. The CM's will treat her well, as only Disney CM's do.:)

Since she's 17, have you considered an ECV? That way, she'll have more control over her environment. Crowds can be like a "purse string" around those of us rolling around, and I like being able to stop to avoid a collision. My DH might be looking another direction when he's pushing me in a WC. (Been there, done that).

You'll all have a wonderful trip.;)

faline
08-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Also, you'll want to check with your daughter's surgeon to see if he/she will allow her to travel at that point in time.

princessjojo
08-15-2008, 09:21 AM
My DS used a wheelchair for a day during our June trip. He has foot issues and was having more problems than usual one particular day. He didn't like it because it took away some of his freedom, but when he looked at the big picture and the possibility of having to stay in, or at least out of the parks for a day or more, he was fine with it. At the end of the day, he wasn't nearly as exhausted as the rest of us. He was treated really well by the CMs, but some of the guest just ignored him and never moved out of the way so he could catch up with the rest of our group.

SFTrny
08-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks all! Your insight is much appreciated by me and daughter. Very encouraging!

maryt01
08-16-2008, 04:32 PM
is your daughter 18 at time of trip? i think you have to be 18 to rent scooter. maybe with a doctors note it will be ok. she should still enjoy the trip.

mrsgaribaldi
09-02-2008, 01:46 AM
We did that in 2000 when my niece 12 and in a leg cast. My sister got a wheelchaor delivered to the resort and they used it all the time. We all took turns pushing my niece. Good luck :pixie::pixie::pixie: