PDA

View Full Version : Indy Speedway

caryrae
08-13-2008, 05:55 PM
For some reason this popped into my head. Why is the Indy Speedway in Tomarrrowland anyway? Doesn't seem like driving a car did or does have anything to do with the future.

gerald72
08-13-2008, 07:50 PM
I would assume (without looking up facts) that when DIsneyland first opened in 1955, highways were still relatively futuristic.
When Magic Kingdom opened in 1971, the highway theme was changed to a speedway theme because by that time highways were no longer futuristic.
But I would agree, this whole attraction isn't futuristic at all and shouldn't be in Tomorrowland. That is a big space where something else could go, although I haven't heard of any talks of removing it.
I personally think it should at least be Cars themed.

Main Street Jim
08-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Don't mess with my Speedway ;)

Anyways...

Kids - and some parents/adults :D - almost ALWAYS want to drive "their own car" at some point - *in the future*. And some of *those* want to drive their own "race car" - in the future. See? ;)

That, plus the Speedway is the "sports arena" of the "community of Tomorrowland", just like Buzz is the "Star Command Headquarters" for Tomorrowland. :thumbsup:

Oh - and PLEASE....*NO MORE Pixar* in Tomorrowland - or in the parks for that matter! :mickey:

iheartmickey
08-13-2008, 10:04 PM
It's so weird you started this thread .... I just posted in the what attraction would you not miss thread this exact question!!

Lose the cars!!!*

*Sorry Jim. :blush:

ILoveLegos
08-14-2008, 12:02 AM
[QUOTE=Main Street Jim;1714726]Don't mess with my Speedway ;)

Anyways...

Kids - and some parents/adults :D - almost ALWAYS want to drive "their own car" at some point - *in the future*. And some of *those* want to drive their own "race car" - in the future. See? ;)

Ditto - believe it or not this was the biggest must do ride for my cousins aged 13 & 14 (in all of MK) a few weeks ago (their very first trip to WDW ever) because they got to drive a "car" all by themselves! - I've been there, honestly - I recall that I felt the same way on this attraction when I was just a kid of 7 years old. When I ride it these days I sometimes get flash backs to the time when I had to stretch one leg out further than the other to reach the pedal. Lastly, I truly love the put-put sound of the motor and watching the little kids "drive" (banging the guide rail really) with great big grins on there faces as they turn the final corner approaching the pit stop from the railing near Toontown. To me this ride is about as magical as it gets for kids and the kids at heart who long for the future when they finally drive or climb behind the wheel of a real race car! I hope it's always there for the kids... (oh, heck for me too). :mickey:

Main Street Jim
08-14-2008, 08:35 AM
The attraction is located where it is because it's really a part of both Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. It's right on the border. Look at our costumes that we wear out there...LOL...they fit in both Fantasyland *and* Tomorrowland. DL's Autopia is the same way, and for a time, it was listed as BOTH a Fantasyland Autopia and a Tomorrowland Autopia.

Imagineer1981
08-14-2008, 01:13 PM
I would like to see it updated, but I think it is a great ride, especially for kids. What if it had like a Meet the Robinsons theme with futuristic cars and buildings to drive through and around?

garthbarth1
08-14-2008, 09:16 PM
I love the Indy Speedway and would hate to see it go! Its nice that it is named after the Indianapolis 500-the greatest spectale in racing and most known/historic car race. Maybe I am biased because I am from Indy???;)

Main Street Jim
08-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Well, we're no longer the "Tomorrowland INDY Speedway". Our sponsorship deal with the Indy Racing League and Indianapolis Motor Speedway ran out at the end of 2007; we only had a ten-year contract. We're now back to just the "Tomorrowland Speedway", with all cars having been re-decaled as such. There's only a couple of spots where the signage and spiels still need to be changed. We are, however, getting a new "Victory Lane" car installed soon as well.

But anyways...I digress :)

Mousemates
08-14-2008, 11:36 PM
For some reason this popped into my head. Why is the Indy Speedway in Tomarrrowland anyway?

Because the cars are way, way, way too slow to be considered an adventure (and thus be in adventureland). :mickey: By the way I'm not a raceway hater...I think its a great ride for little ones, my kids both drove their first "car" there. I have many fond memories of the place.

brownie
08-15-2008, 01:26 PM
It probably has a lot to do with Disneyland's Autopia being between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.

joonyer
08-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Don't get me started. :ill: I have posted many times in other threads about how "lame" I (and my boys) think this attraction is. My kids refuse to wait in line to ride this because it is not anywhere near as much fun as local cheesy amusement park's go-kart rides they can ride almost everywhere else. And that is my biggest complaint about it. Yes, I know little kids enjoy it, but being part of the MAGIC KINGDOM at Walt Disney World, it ought to be an attraction that is "light-years" better than what is available at local two-bit tourist-trap amusement parks. But it is not. In fact, it's worse. And that is a real shame. MK is not an amusement park, it's a Magical Theme Park. And all of its attractions should reflect that. But the speedway doesn't measure up. It's the biggest waste of real-estate in any WDW theme park in my opinion and ought to be replaced with something more magical and much better than you can find at other cheapo amusement parks. It's needs to be either radically up-dated or replaced. It could still be car (or "Cars")-themed. Surely Disney imagineering can do better than this.

Goes4FastPass
08-15-2008, 03:13 PM
This is easily the most UNDisney attraction in all 4 parks.

It's no different than a thousand other roadside gocart tracks just louder and smellier and dirtier because there are so many cars.

And while WDW puts 'Enviromentality' whatever cards in resort guest room urging guests to keep using the same towel the Indy Speedway burns gasoline ever hour the park is open.

Theming is well, if there is any it's not related to anything Disney.

Just because Disney parks have always had a car ride doesn't mean the Disney Company should have let this attraction go unimproved for so long.

Now even the Indianpolis Speedway doesn't want to have a connection with this turkey.

Jasper
08-15-2008, 03:39 PM
I am very mixed on this particular attraction. I don't really know where it belongs but both Fantasy Land and Tomorrow Land don't seem to fit. I also agree that it seems more like an amusement park ride rather than a Disney type of ride. However, kids to absolutely love it.

I think that where it really belongs is in the Hestor and Jestor section over at Animal Kingdom. The attractions in that section are most definitely local carnival type of rides and I think that (space issues aside) the cars would fit in well in that area.

Of course, you also have to realize that I don't like that area of Animal Kingdom so if that area was done away with I don't know where they would put the cars.

Main Street Jim
08-15-2008, 04:28 PM
And while WDW puts 'Enviromentality' whatever cards in resort guest room urging guests to keep using the same towel the Indy Speedway burns gasoline ever hour the park is open.We do have a hybrid car in the works. We're still working out the bugs in it ;)

Theming is well, if there is any it's not related to anything Disney.Well...Kilimanjaro Safaris is not themed toward "anything related to Disney" (i.e., there's no "Disney" characters or movie tie-ins in the attraction); it's themed toward a real African Safari. Maelstrom is not themed toward "anything related to Disney"; it's a Norwegian boat ride. Likewise, the Tomorrowland Speedway *is* themed toward race cars and (formerly) the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, with the "Yard of Bricks", the scoring tower, etc.

Now even the Indianapolis Speedway doesn't want to have a connection with this turkey. That's not the case. we only had a 10-year sponsorship with Indy and the IRL, and that contract ran out. Just like when AT&T's contract ran out with Spaceship Earth, GE's with Horizons, Frito-Lay/Pepsi with Country Bear Jamboree, etc...

I think that where it really belongs is in the Hestor and Jestor section over at Animal Kingdom.Would that be "Chester and Hester's DinoRama"?

Goes4FastPass
08-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Well...Kilimanjaro Safaris is not themed toward "anything related to Disney" (i.e., there's no "Disney" characters or movie tie-ins in the attraction); it's themed toward a real African Safari. Maelstrom is not themed toward "anything related to Disney"; it's a Norwegian boat ride. Likewise, the Tomorrowland Speedway *is* themed toward race cars and (formerly) the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, with the "Yard of Bricks", the scoring tower, etc...?

Well, actually, themeing is part of what makes Kilamanjaro Safaris and Maelstrom attractions worthy of Disney World.

If KilSaf was done 'Speedway Style' it would be an elephant in a parking lot and Malestrom would be a portable swimming pool with a rowboat floating in it.

I think a car ride where the parent coaches and the kid steers is a terrific WDW attraction but the version at WDW/MK needs a post 1972 refurb.

Main Street Jim
08-15-2008, 05:43 PM
The version at WDW/MK needs a post 1972 refurb.Ummm...it's been refurbed - three times now. The first time was with the 1994-95 "retheming" of Tomorrowland, from Grand Prix Raceway into Tomorrowland Speedway, and again in 1997 with the IRL/Indianapolis Motor Speedway sponsorship into the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway. Now we're just back to the "Tomorrowland Speedway" (dropping the "Indy").

spiderkd
08-15-2008, 05:43 PM
It seems to be a far less popular than I would have guessed, which surprises me a bit... it always has massive queues when we go.

It's one I can take or leave, depending on those aforementioned queues, but for me it's biggest downfall is the smell. For someone with allergies, the fumes are not all that fun to be hanging around :sick:

Thinking about it though, I have always placed it firmly on the edge of Tomorrowland. Can anyone remember if there is there a clearly defined border on that side (as opposed to the bridge) ???

caryrae
08-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Maybe there could be a Wall-e themed attraction there since it has to do with space and would fit right in in that area with Space Moutain and other spaced themed stuff.

Marker
08-15-2008, 06:13 PM
And as soon as they update it, or replace it, everyone will be complaining about "how on earth could they change it".

A few years ago, my two sons 13 and 15 at the time, and I rode this ride. We had a ball, pretending to be racing each other. Do we ride it often, no, not at all. But then, we're not really the intended audience either.

No, it's not a thrill ride, it's not a roller coaster. Buy to a 6, 8 or 10 year old, it's probably a lot of fun. Not everything needs to be a thrill ride. There are more guests other than the thrill seakers. Those younger children deserve their fun too. And yes, adults can ride too and the whole family can have fun together.

Imagine that, "a family park where parents and children could have fun - together."

RAIDER
08-16-2008, 07:42 AM
I would like to see it left as it is ...Too many of the "old fashioned attractions /nostaligic are going " and when i have ever been there ,theres always as queue for it ...Personally this attraction has is a great throw back and i still have fun on it over 10 years from when i first went on it ..:thumbsup:

Goes4FastPass
08-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Ummm...it's been refurbed - three times now. The first time was with the 1994-95 "retheming" of Tomorrowland, from Grand Prix Raceway into Tomorrowland Speedway, and again in 1997 with the IRL/Indianapolis Motor Speedway sponsorship into the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway. Now we're just back to the "Tomorrowland Speedway" (dropping the "Indy").

OK, I should have said rethemeing beyond changing some signs and decals.

Jim, I'm glad you're enthusiastic about all of your assignments at WDW. I'd certainly rather be greeted by that than CMs slogging through "another day a work".

My too young to drive family members always ride whatever they're curently calling the car ride at MK and always will. I'd just like to see it made much 'greener' and unique from every other roadside gocart track at every other tourist area in the country.

Speedy1998
08-16-2008, 12:23 PM
That is a big space where something else could go, although I haven't heard of any talks of removing it.

The size of the speedway has already been cut in half once, to build Toon town.

I would assume there is no talk of getting rid of it because it is very popular with families that have small children. My 7 year old for example loves it. She is to small to drive a go cart by herself, but she can drive a car at the speedway by herself.

ParkMan
08-16-2008, 12:31 PM
It's one of the few major attractions that I've never ridden (even as a kid). Personally, it wouldn't bother me to see it be replaced. But, I would imagine that on one of our next trips my kids will want to start riding. They already love to sit on the driving video games and pretend to drive. I can definitely see why they'd like the ride.

Even though it's been through a few changes, it still seems to have roughly it's same original intent and same general theme. I'd be disappointed if they made it into a cars ride. The older I get and the more times I visit, I really develop an appreciation for the rides that are not themed to a Disney/Pixar character.

I wouldn't mind seeing it "greened" up a bit - perhaps replacing the engines with something a bit cleaner.