PDA

View Full Version : Wii Questions

Nini
08-13-2008, 04:19 PM
So as not to continue hijacking the other thread, I have a couple of questions for those of you who have the Nintrendo Wii system.

First, if we were to buy the Wii Fit could we use other Wii games with it? Is it the same console?

Also, I understand that you can download older Nintendo games onto the system. Does the system have to be hooked up to the internet at all times to do this? Our computer is in a different room from where we would hook up the Wii (no wireless). Could we take the system to the computer, download games, and then take the system back out to other room to play those games?

Thanks for all help!
Denise :mickey:

caryrae
08-13-2008, 04:35 PM
I know there is atleast one game you can use with the Wii Fit board, it's a skiing game.

Here is what games do and will use the balance board,

Compatible games

Wii Fit 2008 Released
We Ski 2008 Released
Don King Presents: Prizefighter 2008 In development
Skate It 2008 In development
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party 2008 In development
Shaun White Snowboarding 2008 In development
All-Star Cheer Squad 2008 In development
Tetris Party (WiiWare) 2008 In development
Wii Music 2008 In development
Wii Yoga 2009 In development
Jillian Michaels' Fitness Ultimatum 2009 2009 In development
EA Fitness TBA In development

You should be able to just hook it up to the internet when you want to download a game. You don't need to have it hooked up to the internet all the time but there is some fun stuff you can do when it is hooked up. You can do a thing called Wii Vote where they ask a few questions and you pick an answer and then you try to guess what the most popular one will be then after a few days you can see the results. You can also get news, weather, and even surf the internet all this is free. Then of course the Wii needs to be updated sometimes. If you have or get Mario Kart wii you can play against people from all over the world. If I were you I would get a wireless router for your internet unless you just have dial-up. Wireless routers aren't very expensive.

Also you may need get the wii classic controller to play some of the downloaded games. Costs about $20.

I just noticed the Wii has no ethernet port to hook up a wired connection. This is what the Nintendo website says:

Using a Wired Connection
In order to connect the Wii console to a wired access point (such as a wired router or broadband modem*), you will need the Wii LAN Adapter. The Wii LAN Adapter enables a connection from an ethernet port on your wired access point, to one of the USB ports on the back of the Wii console. Please note that other, non-Nintendo manufactured devices may not work correctly with the Wii console.

Requirements to Connect the Wii Console Online with a Wired Connection
In order to connect the Wii console online with a wired connection, you will need the following:

A Wii LAN Adapter (where to buy)
An active broadband internet connection, such as DSL or Cable.
A compatible Internet Service Provider (ISP). Some ISPs require a sign-in every time you connect online, or are otherwise incompatible. Contact your ISP for more information.
Either a cable modem or wired router with an available ethernet port. (DSL users: while some DSL modems may be compatible, our experience has shown that many are not. We recommend using a router.)
An ethernet cable.
If you have all the required items, click here for step-by-step connection assistance.

Please note that the Wii console is capable of a wireless connection without the need for any additional accessories. If you have a router, check to see if it is wireless or not (wireless routers usually have a visible antennae). For more information on setting up a connection with a wireless router, click here.

scoot241
08-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Wii is the console. Wii Fit is a game for the console that includes a Balance Board. Other games will support the Balance Board in the future.

You could take the Wii to the other computer, but you need to get a USB Ethernet adapter that's compatible with the Wii. Nintendo sells one... I think through their web site.

sisterdisco
08-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Denise,
I don't understand how the Wii interacts w/ the internet, but somehow, the weather channel pops up as an option when I turn on the Wii. We do have a wireless router, so ?? The kids probably know. I wanted to tell you that the Wii Fit is AWESOME!! Love it!!
I also saved $10 by getting it at Sam's Club. I believe I saw a bunch of them in Clay last week.