PDA

View Full Version : MK Christmas Parade Taping - December 6th

Cheloconnell
08-13-2008, 12:11 PM
I heard in passing on another thread that the Christmas parade televised on Christmas day will be taping on December 6th this year. Does anyone know the details or how this works? My DH and I are arriving for our 10 year wedding anniversary that day and it would be a nice memory to be a part of that. Any and all feedback is welcome please :mickey:

disneyfan328
08-13-2008, 12:31 PM
From what I have gathered you have to be an AP holder to get on the list or be a CM. I have also heard that the parade is not all it is cracked up to be. They run a float by and then may need to retape so they do it again. It is a lot of standing around for hours and the MK is insanley packed from what I have heard, so much that just walking around is impossible.

While I have never personally been during that time, I prefer to watch it on TV!

elmjimmlm
08-13-2008, 12:54 PM
We are going to be there Dec. 28th so I am going to record it and watch it on the way there...I am sooooo excited...I want to be there now...:mickey:

Strmchsr
08-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah, it most likely will be Dec 6, but disneyfan328 has the gist of it. They announce in October or so that any AP holders wanting to be a part of it need to sign up for a shift and you have to stay put during that shift. Then it's like any TV production - set up, stand around and wait, shoot for 30 seconds, reset, wait some more, and so on. Back in 2004, the last year it was open to anyone, it was cool to just walk up, watch what you wanted, then leave, but now you're pretty committed.

Cheloconnell
08-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Is MK open to the general public that day?

Imagineer1981
08-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Yep, its tough, and Dec isn't the coolest month either, it can still be really warm that month

Strmchsr
08-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Is MK open to the general public that day?

Yes, it is, but there might be some areas you can't get to during taping, like the castle or Main St. However, everything clears up later when the taping is finished.

Cheloconnell
08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Thank you :mickey:

faberj
08-13-2008, 03:21 PM
I have ADR's at 9:15 AM at Crystal Palace and 2:30 at LTT, should I make other plans now if the park is going to be packed?

Strmchsr
08-13-2008, 03:48 PM
I have ADR's at 9:15 AM at Crystal Palace and 2:30 at LTT, should I make other plans now if the park is going to be packed?

Your ADRs will be fine. We had breakfast at CP on parade day and found it difficult to get to, but not impossible. However, hanging around in MK after your breakfast may be less than desirable.

faberj
08-13-2008, 04:53 PM
when do they finish with the taping, should we go to another park that day instead? We also have lunch adr's at LTT at 2:30 PM and dinner at Ohana at 7:30 (but that is not in the park).

Strmchsr
08-13-2008, 05:58 PM
when do they finish with the taping, should we go to another park that day instead? We also have lunch adr's at LTT at 2:30 PM and dinner at Ohana at 7:30 (but that is not in the park).

It varies, but generally they finish taping by 4 pm at the latest. Sometimes by 3. They have to tape while they have good light.

faberj
08-14-2008, 08:23 AM
So we should be okay in the late afternoon then? I might try to get a breakfast and or lunch adr else where and just go to MK after dinner.

TheRustyScupper
08-14-2008, 10:09 AM
. . . My DH and I are arriving for our 10 year wedding anniversary that day and it would be a nice memory to be a part of that . . .

1) You can always watch the taping.
2) Of course, you will be 3-5 people back.
3) You cannot just "be part of it".
4) As mentioned
. . . AP holders and CM's get first crack at the tickets
. . . this also allows entry into the park well before general admission
. . . the taping tickets are usually gone on the first offering day
. . . there is more standing - 1½ days of filming for a 2-hr TV parade

NOTE: Many of the "family guests" and "children guests" you see on TV are actors or CM's. They actually hired local kid actors to be "on air" during the parade, and the CM's are paid for parade duty. It is called hedging your bets. They do not want some kid or family do something that would look bad on tape. Sure, it can be edited, but what if a gesture or act back in the crowd doesn't get noticed in the edit room?

Cheloconnell
08-15-2008, 09:11 AM
1) You can always watch the taping.
2) Of course, you will be 3-5 people back.
3) You cannot just "be part of it".
4) As mentioned
. . . AP holders and CM's get first crack at the tickets
. . . this also allows entry into the park well before general admission
. . . the taping tickets are usually gone on the first offering day
. . . there is more standing - 1½ days of filming for a 2-hr TV parade

NOTE: Many of the "family guests" and "children guests" you see on TV are actors or CM's. They actually hired local kid actors to be "on air" during the parade, and the CM's are paid for parade duty. It is called hedging your bets. They do not want some kid or family do something that would look bad on tape. Sure, it can be edited, but what if a gesture or act back in the crowd doesn't get noticed in the edit room?

Are you kidding me? This just blew the "Magic" for me :(