PDA

View Full Version : Buh-bye, globe!

I take the Ferry
08-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Anyone going to Epcot tonight (Wed, 8/13) to see if the globe barge is for-realz gone?

We're planning on being there Saturday, but I'm thinking about making a dinner & IllumiNations run on Thursday just to check it out.

I am (obviously) excited to see what they do without the globe. The wife and I refer to that part of IllumiNations as "nap time." More fireworks, plz!

I'm hoping that they don't just fix the current globe, but that they upgrade it with some new uber-awesome technology. That would rock my socks off.

K, Slater!
I take the Ferry!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-13-2008, 12:44 AM
It was there last night, Monday, when I watched it with DolphinMickey and her family.

Melanie
08-13-2008, 01:47 AM
The wife and I refer to that part of IllumiNations as "nap time." More fireworks, plz!

I'm with you there! Hopefully they put in something more exciting.

Gator
08-13-2008, 02:02 AM
I'm with you there! Hopefully they put in something more exciting.

More exciting than shooting fire from the torch? That's one of the coolest parts.

Melanie
08-13-2008, 03:18 AM
More exciting than shooting fire from the torch? That's one of the coolest parts.

Eh. Actually, I wish they'd just replace the show altogether. Not a fan.

goofyfan4466
08-13-2008, 03:23 AM
did i miss something somewhere ? is the globe not going to be at epcot anymore.my family likes the globe although it seems to always be the same.it would be good to see it updated though. thanks for any info.

passholderryan
08-13-2008, 05:40 AM
I wish they would go back to the old illuminations. The one where they would single out each country, play music unique to each and light it up as the music played.

Cinderelley
08-13-2008, 06:11 AM
I wish they would go back to the old illuminations. The one where they would single out each country, play music unique to each and light it up as the music played.

That sounds like it would be awesome. Too bad I never saw it.

Carol
08-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Not a fan of the globe. I'd like to see it go back to something more like the original version too.

Disnamic Duo
08-13-2008, 08:34 AM
We love the globe and the video! We love Illuminations! It's the best nighttime show at WDW. We're looking forward to the upgrade/changes.

MauiMouse
08-13-2008, 08:38 AM
did i miss something somewhere ? is the globe not going to be at epcot anymore.my family likes the globe although it seems to always be the same.it would be good to see it updated though. thanks for any info.

From reports the globe is suppose to go under rehab starting today.

Reflections of Upgrades

7/18/08 After months of delays, a date has been set for the start of the Illuminations Earth Globe refurbishment. Those involved in the project have reported that the refurbishment is currently scheduled begin August 13, 2008 and end in the Late September to Mid October time frame. During the refurbishment, Illuminations: Reflections of Earth is currently scheduled to be shown with alternative show elements in-place of the Earth Globe float.

I take the Ferry
08-13-2008, 08:38 AM
It was there last night, Monday, when I watched it with DolphinMickey and her family.

Tonight is supposed to be the first night it's gone.

That's not the boring part... I was talking about when it first comes out, and there are no fireworks for like 4 minutes.

That was the coolest! I miss that show... when they actually Illuminated each Nation... back when the name made sense...

K, Slater!
I take the Ferry!

Melanie
08-13-2008, 08:54 AM

:ditto:

Wickster1970
08-13-2008, 10:20 AM
That was the coolest! I miss that show... when they actually Illuminated each Nation... back when the name made sense...

:ditto: :ditto:

Come on.....Illumi Nations
Makes sense to me.

Imagineer1981
08-13-2008, 10:55 AM
:ditto: :ditto:

Come on.....Illumi Nations
Makes sense to me.

Gotta agree...way cooler

BeccaO
08-13-2008, 12:36 PM
I also liked the old version where they singled out each nation!! I also enjoyed Tapestry of Nations, I was soooo sad when they ended that one too!!!:(

BraddyB
08-13-2008, 12:37 PM
[QUOTE=Wickster1970;1714109]:ditto: :ditto:

Ian
08-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I love Reflections of Earth (especially the music) and I think the fireworks are spectacular. But even I could do with less globe ... that 4 minute portion where it's just the globe and the fountains and stuff gets a little dull.

That being said, I still think it's the best nighttime show in WDW. Wishes comes very, very close, but doesn't quite close the deal.

Mousemates
08-13-2008, 12:44 PM
We too would be pleased if what my son once deemed to be "the angry earth" (its turns red and shoots fire) disappeared from illuminations...hopefully the rehab of the planet will include a better overall show....with more fireworks.

KathyMO
08-13-2008, 03:57 PM

I also liked the daytime show they had for a while. I believe it was called Fantansy in the Sky.

Kathy :mickey:

Goes4FastPass
08-13-2008, 04:25 PM
The globe is essentially a spherical LED screen that opens into sections.

When they first announced it being added they must have said, "Our guests tell us they want less fireworks and more TV when they gather around World Showcase to end the day at EPCOT"

Illuminations, though a step down from original Illuminations is still one of my favorite things at WDW.

Globe or not let's hope WDW doesn't next tell us guests we only want Illuminations presented twice a week.

Minniefan68
08-13-2008, 05:57 PM

I'm right there with you!

C:minnie2:

I take the Ferry
08-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Unfortunately, plans for Thursday night did not work out... forgot we already had plans. It's a good thing I have a wife or I'd never remember anything.

Anyhow, I'm going on Saturday. If anyone goes before then, post about it please!

K, Slater!
I take the Ferry!

Simba's Mom
08-17-2008, 04:18 PM
The globe is essentially a spherical LED screen that opens into sections.

When they first announced it being added they must have said, "Our guests tell us they want less fireworks and more TV when they gather around World Showcase to end the day at EPCOT"

Illuminations, though a step down from original Illuminations is still one of my favorite things at WDW.

Globe or not let's hope WDW doesn't next tell us guests we only want Illuminations presented twice a week.
:funny:You mean you didn't say that? You seem to doubt their real reasoning.

IamBelle
08-17-2008, 05:00 PM
{QUOTE=passholderryan;1713962]I wish they would go back to the old illuminations. The one where they would single out each country, play music unique to each and light it up as the music played.[/QUOTE]

I have only seen that version on video, and when I went to see it, it was the new version! I would love to see that in person!

disneymom2000
08-17-2008, 05:29 PM
I for one am going to miss the globe. It always intrigued me to see other countries/cultures shown on it. You know you have been to disney tooooo much when you start nit picking the really cool things that made it disney in the first place. Illuminations is one of the most watched shows at WDW. I am taking someone who has never been and couldn't wait to sit with her through illuninations only now to find out it won't be a complete show.:crying::sadwave:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-17-2008, 10:28 PM
The globe was there on Friday night as well. I'll try to check back later this week.

Captainhook1974
08-18-2008, 01:46 PM
I am so done with this version of Illuminations. I wish they had put it to rest with the Tapestry of Nations/Dreams parade way back. Illuminations 25 was the one I hope they would do something similar. And the original was so good as well. Just something new for people that come down to Disneyworld every year or so.

The only one I haven't gotten sick of yet is Spectromagic. I'm sure they will get rid of that soon as well.

Destroy the globe!!!....

mermaidmarian
08-18-2008, 02:32 PM
I won't be disappointed if this show is reworked and/or replaced. I loved Tapestry of Nations (and its parade!) and I liked the original Illuminations. Current version of Illuminations I guess I just don't get - especially all of the fire. I mean, it's an inferno and I don't understand what the underlying message is supposed to be - it's awful apoclyptic. The first time I saw all of that pyro I thought something had gone terribly wrong with the show - what a surprise to find out it is supposed to be like that.

TheAdventurer
08-19-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm going to buck the trend here. I like ROE better than the old Illuminations, and I LOVE the globe and am very sad it won't be there when I am in September.

KAJUNKING
08-19-2008, 02:25 PM
That being said, I still think it's the best nighttime show in WDW. Wishes comes very, very close, but doesn't quite close the deal.

i always flip flop between illminations and wishes

sdewan
08-20-2008, 12:16 PM
As of Monday night, the globe was still part of the show.

Dyanna
08-20-2008, 01:24 PM

Totally agree 1000% :D

tinkerbellybutton
08-20-2008, 02:36 PM
I like the globe but it would be nice to see it the original way. It was my dads fave nightime show before he passed away so it would be kind of like being there with him all over again. :cloud9:

TwoTinyWings
08-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Check out the Wiki entry for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth. It gives insight into the differently themed sections of the show (and thus why there's fire in the beginning). I've always loved this show (especially the score) and appreciate it all the more now that I know the "story" behind it.

I remember the original IllumiNations shows and honestly think you can't compare those to the current show. At least to me, everything about ROE - music, technology, execution, etc. - is just lightyears beyond the older shows. I hope whatever follows ROE down the road - whether it puts more of a spotlight on the WS countries or not - will also give us a nighttime show that's much more than just fireworks.

PittFan
08-20-2008, 04:14 PM
I will miss the Globe. Fireworks don't impress me anymore. Living in Pittsburgh, the home of Zambelli International Fireworks Inc., we have fireworks for everything. Every friday night @ Station Square, fireworks night at PNC park a few times a month, every time a Pirate hits a homerun ( ok, that isn't often) , Light Up Night, Country Music Jamboree @ the Point, Three Rivers Regatta, New Years Eve, and let's not forget every Borough having their own display for the 4th of July !!! You get the point, we see fireworks here constantly. I personally liked the Illuminations R.O.E. show. It was something I don't get to see everyday.

TINKERBELL_82
08-20-2008, 05:12 PM
I'll be there Friday night, so I'll see if the globe is still there and report back if no one else already has.
:mickey:

BraddyB
08-20-2008, 10:53 PM
I will miss the Globe. Fireworks don't impress me anymore. Living in Pittsburgh, the home of Zambelli International Fireworks Inc., we have fireworks for everything. Every friday night @ Station Square, fireworks night at PNC park a few times a month, every time a Pirate hits a homerun ( ok, that isn't often) , Light Up Night, Country Music Jamboree @ the Point, Three Rivers Regatta, New Years Eve, and let's not forget every Borough having their own display for the 4th of July !!! You get the point, we see fireworks here constantly. I personally liked the Illuminations R.O.E. show. It was something I don't get to see everyday.

I agree, but what I dont understand is both Disney and Pittsburgh use Zambelli. Why is it that Disneys fireworks are better than ours since Zambelli isnt too far away. Why dont we get a hometown discount since we use fireworks for everything. Dont forget though the pirates have regular firework nights and then we have the Skyblast nights. I think its almost hard to visit the city and not catch a glimpse of fireworks !!!

Eric87
08-20-2008, 11:00 PM
We were just down there for our Honeymoon last week and while at Epcot when it came to watching Illuminations we both agreed, besides the music, we didn't care for the show. Wishes on the other hand we would never miss in the parks or at the MK resort area. They definitely need to improve the show.

I take the Ferry
08-21-2008, 10:00 AM
I'll be there Friday night, so I'll see if the globe is still there and report back if no one else already has.
:mickey:

Thanks, Tink.

It was there last weekend, which means that they didn't stick to the planned schedule. So, who knows when they'll actually take it down. Tis the season to refurby, so if they're gonna do it, I'd assume it would be soon.

***added later***

Right after I posted this, I went to check Jason's "Tidbits" article. Doh. Should have checked there first. Here's what he knows:

Due to further delays, Epcot Operations has announced the refurbishment for the Illuminations Earth Globe float has been rescheduled to begin August 21, 2008 and end Mid-September 2008. Although the consistent delays bring reasonable doubt to any scheduled date, this is the first date that has been internally announced to more than just those working on the project.

That would be... TODAY! LOL. So, Tink, let us know if they stick to it this time!

K, Slater!
I take the Ferry!

Main Street Jim
08-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Why is it that Disneys fireworks are better than ours since Zambelli isnt too far away.Because...we know how to *put on a show* ;)

We're entertainment; it's what we do best (well, most of the time, anyways...LOL). Illuminations: RoE is now almost ten years old, and Wishes is well over 5 years old. I enjoyed Fantasy in the Sky more than Wishes; in fact, I don't think I've ever stopped to see Wishes outside of training my Cast on Main Street for crowd control during the fireworks. However, nearly every time I'm in Epcot, we make it a point to see RoE.

i was only at Epcot a couple of times prior to the Millennium Celebration, so don't really remember the old shows all that much; saw them maybe once or twice. However, I do have the music and shows downloaded :) and still prefer RoE. But it would be cool to see the old show and RoE combined. :D With the globe going away, I think "lighting up the world" would be a viable alternative to the globe being gone.

TINKERBELL_82
08-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks, Tink.

It was there last weekend, which means that they didn't stick to the planned schedule. So, who knows when they'll actually take it down. Tis the season to refurby, so if they're gonna do it, I'd assume it would be soon.

***added later***

Right after I posted this, I went to check Jason's "Tidbits" article. Doh. Should have checked there first. Here's what he knows:

That would be... TODAY! LOL. So, Tink, let us know if they stick to it this time!

K, Slater!
I take the Ferry!

Not a problem!!! :thumbsup:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Well, tonight there were no Illuminations. At all. Nothing was put out on the lake. So I'm not sure if this was to do with the weather (unlikely since they've done it before in the wind and rain but it's possible) or part of the refurb....

Maleficent's Dad
08-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Globe was part of the show on WEDNESDAY night. Interestingly enough is that there were no pyrotechnics (no fireworks) to accompany said globe. The inferno barge was impressive as always...

Main Street Jim
08-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Illuminations was NOT performed Thursday night 8/21 due to the high winds and weather.

CandleontheWater
08-22-2008, 08:09 PM

I am so with you on that one! I recently heard the old Illuminations score on Mouseworld Radio and it brought back such wonderful memories. I personally think the globe is really boring, in fact it is a running joke between my husband and I. I always like the part when they show the cave paintings on the globe, because then I know they will be starting up the fountains again, and it will at least be a little more interesting. That show really does need more fireworks! :fworks:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Well, when I left work today at 6:00pm at Epcot, the globe was still backstage, open and with pieces that appeared to be missing. I think it's safe to say they didn't use it.

Mousemates
08-22-2008, 09:36 PM
I personally think the globe is really boring, ... That show really does need more fireworks! :fworks:

Mrs Bus Driver
08-22-2008, 09:47 PM
I have only seen illuminations once (2002) and I really liked the show. I hoping to see it again on my trip at the end of Sept/early Oct. :mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
08-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Well, when I left work today at 6:00pm at Epcot, the globe was still backstage, open and with pieces that appeared to be missing. I think it's safe to say they didn't use it.
No globe last night (Friday)...

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
08-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Agree with Mel here. Not a fan of the show. It could go away and I wouldn't miss it.

How about staging something like what is about to be unveiled at DCA? Something that brings the countries and Disney characters together......think IASW redo but on a Disneyland Fantasmic scale. HOT!

Fireworks for the sake of fireworks are boring. Add theming like the Disneyland Castle shooting at the Pirates on the Matterhorn and it becomes way cool entertainment.

Crow
08-23-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm right there with you!

C:minnie2:

yep I liked that also. either way Illuminations is my fav nightime show. I will see what its like now since Ill be there on the 3rd

Maleficent's Dad
08-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Watched the show last night - Monday, the 25th of August.

NO GLOBE.

There is some "creative editing" going on with the globe not present. For starters, the show starts about 5 minutes late. Then they skip the music section when the globe moves to the center of the lagoon. At one point, they have pyrotechnics shooting up from the lake - think of white sparks shooting up, not really fireworks.

It was VERY WEIRD not having the globe...

Due to HEAVY rains yesterday afternoon, and a very close lightning strike in EPCOT, Illuminations was not very crowded.

mouseketeer mom
08-26-2008, 08:09 AM
I had no idea the globe was going! We just watched it last week, globe and all, and now I'm glad we did! I personally love the globe. It always makes me tear up.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Due to HEAVY rains yesterday afternoon, and a very close lightning strike in EPCOT, Illuminations was not very crowded.

There was a fire watch for the whole property because we had a lot of strikes in the parks.

I know for a fact we had at least one in the Jungle....it hit something but we can't figure out what. It was definitely that loud, metallic cracking one so it must have been an animatronic.

big blue and hairy
08-26-2008, 09:29 AM
I agree with Ian. Illuminations: ROE is the best night time show. The music is amazing and there is nothing like sitting on the rail at the Cantina De San Angel and taking it all in. I have seen this show many times and I never get tired of it. I wouldn't mind if it was tweaked a little, but the music and the theme of the show are fantastic.

DW and I saw the previous version of Illuminations and we liked it, but she laughed at me the first time we saw ROE, I just sat there with my mouth open.

I have the music on CD, it is very good driving music.

:sulley:

TheAdventurer
08-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Anybody seen the non-globe show? What's it like? I knwo I could just wait since I'll see it for myself in 17 days :mickey: but I'm really curious

SAnderson70769
08-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Well after reading all these posts, I guess I'm in the minority for one that loves the globe! I think it added such a unique element to the show and gave Illuminations a little something different.

Did I miss a post somewhere or does anyone know when or if it will actually be back???

I'm going the first week of October and I want it there!

Main Street Jim
08-29-2008, 08:45 AM
We LOVE the globe in the show; it's part of the storyline.

Saw Illuminations last night without the globe. The ENTIRE middle section of Illuminations is NOT performed (the "globe part"). The "globe music" is not in the show, either. It's a shortened Illuminations, and the finale' is almost a "blowoff" of the inferno barge instead of the torch rising.

We were very disappointed. Again - less show for the money you're paying.

TheAdventurer
08-29-2008, 10:06 AM

Saw Illuminations last night without the globe. The ENTIRE middle section of Illuminations is NOT performed (the "globe part"). The "globe music" is not in the show, either. It's a shortened Illuminations, and the finale' is almost a "blowoff" of the inferno barge instead of the torch rising.

That's disappointing :(

Tinkermom
08-29-2008, 10:39 AM

:(

I also love the globe. Illuminations is our favorite nighttime show at WDW. :thumbsup:It looks like we globe lovers are not so much in the minority any more. ;)

So, does anyone know what exactly they are doing to the globe, any rumors about this? Also, when will the globe return? We will be going to WDW in December so I assume that by then Illuminations will be back to the full show. At least I hope so since we are looking forward to seeing the holiday version of Illuminations.:santa3::tree:

LuvsTigger80
08-29-2008, 12:52 PM
My hubby and i LOVE Illuminations. It's the only show besides Spectromagic that we are looking forward to on our next trip. Can't wait for my mother in law to see it for the first time.:mickey:

Only 151 days to go!!!

Main Street Jim
08-29-2008, 04:34 PM
does anyone know what exactly they are doing to the globe, any rumors about this?From what I understand, it's just a general refurbishment. This show has been around now for almost ten years. We rode around backstage last night on our way into the park, and we passed the globe sitting in the Epcot marina behind China/Germany/Africa. It had scaffolding up around about a fourth of it.

The ship from behind the America Gardens theater is back there as well ;)

Maleficent's Dad
08-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Anybody seen the non-globe show? What's it like? I knwo I could just wait since I'll see it for myself in 17 days :mickey: but I'm really curious
Interestingly enough, I saw two very unique shows over the past two weeks...

I've seen Illuminations without any fireworks (TS Fay).
And I've seen Illuminations without the globe.

Very weird both times...

badkitty
08-30-2008, 10:54 PM
:(

At least I hope so since we are looking forward to seeing the holiday version of Illuminations.:santa3::tree:

There is a holiday version? What is that like?

chrisb26
08-30-2008, 11:16 PM
I saw a YouTube video where they had a video from February when they didn't have the globe and I must say it really altered the show. They took 3 minutes or so away from the show which was the part when the globe comes out. It was a very noticeable jump the music didn't flow correctly.

Now I also would have agreed that the globe is a boring part but I wasn't really impressed with the version with out the globe although I haven't seen what they are doing now but I like the globe version better from what I have seen.

The holiday version is pretty cool it is like an extended ending. After the normal show ends they have a couple extra minutes of fireworks timed to holiday music.

I take the Ferry
08-30-2008, 11:30 PM
K, just got back from Epcot.

Didn't like it at all.

This is coming from the guy who feels like yelling "BO-RING!" every time the globe makes it's lazy way to the middle. I am (was?) NOT a fan of the globe.

But at least it helps tell a story. Without the globe, IllumiNations... IllumiStinks.

The show did not have any flow. There were parts where I was like, "what am I supposed to be watching here?"

To try to distract you, they do a few things. First, they add fireworks. The added fireworks are mostly the low-height fountain type of firework, not the shell type that explode loudly in the air. Not exciting enough, not enough of them. They did, however, add more of the shoreline-launched fireworks. This we liked. Also, they had a couple cool new fireworks ind the "blue fireworks" section. We liked those too.

Secondly, there is more use of the giant spotlights at each country. At one point, these were the focus of the show. And I thought the GLOBE was boring...

And they also have a part where the giant torches light one by one all the way around the lake. Woohoo.

I never thought I would be eager for the globe to come back. But here we are. I think we'll skip IllumiNations until it's back, hopefully upgraded so it's cooler than ever.

Rocks my Socks Off. The additional part at the end is to the song "let there be peace on earth" and there's a short, moving intro by (I think, not sure) Walter Cronkite. The end finale is SO loud, if I scream as loud as I can, I still can't hear myself over the fireworks.

disneyworld55925592
08-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Back to the old ways! when they would have that parade at night too the one with all the people on stilts and the cool music :)

joelkfla
09-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Rocks my Socks Off. The additional part at the end is to the song "let there be peace on earth" and there's a short, moving intro by (I think, not sure) Walter Cronkite.
Yes, it is.

Before "Reflections of Earth," there was a full-length holiday version of Illuminations that was narrated by Mr. Cronkite. The current "holiday tag" is the finale from that show.

Dopeysgal
09-03-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm not a fan of Illuminations. The only time I really liked it was the Christmas one, when they did Illuminate each country. That was awesome.