PDA

View Full Version : Tropic Thunder

diz_girl
08-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Who's planning to see this? It looks like a hoot. I loved Dodgeball and Zoolander and I've heard that Tropic Thunder is as good or better than either of them.

LauraleeH
08-12-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm not going to see it because of the way they use the word "retarded." I have a great uncle who has down syndrome and I find it offensive when people use it as an insult.

Advnt05
08-13-2008, 08:29 AM
It has touched off a storm of controversy. I can see both sides of the argument so it really would come down to everyone's personal choice on the matter. The studio and actors say that they are making fun of actors who immerse themselves in their roles becoming something that they are really not. Others are offended by the content. Up to this date, families of the mentally challenged have been most vocal. I'm surprised that more of an issue hasn't been made of Robert Downey's character.
I can see how this thread could walk a fine line though and get testy.

PirateLover
08-13-2008, 06:06 PM
While I understand that the issue is near and dear many people, I think it's a little blown out of proportion. From what I've read (and granted this could be wrong) the word is used 3 times to describe Stiller's character. The whole movie is a satire... The joke being that in Hollywood that if you play a mentally retarded person or make yourself over in an extreme way to play a role, usually you get nominated for an Oscar. I'm actually surprised there are more people protesting about this issue rather than Robert Downey Jr. In Blackface. Then again, he's now Hollywood's new golden boy right?

We will see it.

LauraleeH
08-14-2008, 08:35 AM
While I understand that the issue is near and dear many people, I think it's a little blown out of proportion. From what I've read (and granted this could be wrong) the word is used 3 times to describe Stiller's character. The whole movie is a satire... The joke being that in Hollywood that if you play a mentally retarded person or make yourself over in an extreme way to play a role, usually you get nominated for an Oscar.
Sorry, I didn't know that was the plot. From what I understood, it was just calling people retarded (In every other scene) as an insult, which I can't stand. I don't remember where I heard that from but I was obviously mistaken.

I still think it's somewhat insensitive, but most comedies like that are. I rarely watch them just because they are too dirty and I don't find them funny. But I'm not going to go around telling everyone not to see it just because it's not my taste. I'm sure it will be good for anyone that likes Ben Stiller movies.

Ian
08-14-2008, 09:44 AM
I heard it's used more like a dozen times, not 3.

And even though I have a brother who's mentally challenged, I'm not "offended" by the use of the word. I may not go see the movie (because I think it looks stupid, not because they use the word "retard"), but I do think there's a serious double standard.

If it was a derogatory racial slur as opposed to a slur degrading those with mental disabilities, there's no way people (especially Hollywood) would be so cavalier about it.

PirateLover
08-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Here is more about the context of the word in the movie in Roger Ebert's review. He gave it a B. And on the whole (just for the record), I agree that the use of the word is a bit insensitive.

Lazarus(Downey Jr) is critical of Tugg Speedman (Stiller), who also starred in “Simple Jack,” a movie about a mentally challenged farmer who thinks animals can understand him.

Ironically, it is this role that saves their lives when they’re taken prisoner. The bored druglords have only one video, an old “Simple Jack” tape, and think Speedman is Jack himself.

DisneyDudet
08-17-2008, 11:08 PM
I saw the movie Friday. Its a funny movie. They use the word that was discussed above, as well as a racial slur in there. The movie makes comments and portrays things that are wrong for a lot of different groups.

The use of the word was excessive and could have been less. PirateLover has the right idea about what the use of the word was about. It is one scene, not the entire movie.

I love Ben Stiller movies, and its not my favorite, but I did laugh.

Seeing it for Matthew McConaughey and Tom Cruise is worth it alone. They were great! Tom even dances!

I see both sides to the controversy, but needed to make my own thoughts about it. I think it may have been blown a little too much out of proportion, but that section could have been toned down a little about it as well.

IloveDisney71
08-18-2008, 06:50 PM
My oldest DD wanted to see it before she headed off to college so I went with her. While parts of it were VERY funny, there were some parts that were VERY crude. I was appalled at the way the movie started with the "fake" commericial that was just short of being "adult rated".
I would recommend skipping this movie if you don't like crude and sometimes inappropriate comments. I can see how it is raising controversy.

NotaGeek
08-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Quite unfortunately it wasn't my turn to choose the movie, so I went to see it today.

Horrible.

A few funny parts, but I really hope that i never have to see it again.